Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

DIY: Change Color of Guage Cluster 07-08

103K views 183 replies 92 participants last post by  Noobstar 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This got barried in the 03-06 section so I brought it out here. I hope that is ok. Their is not one in here.

I have been wanting to do this for a while now and finally got around to it. Thanks to Jotaro for the idea and pics. After looking into this mod I still had a lot of questions because the information about it is spread around. So here is a how-to broken all the way down, enjoy.

**Caution**If you have not soldered or D-Soldered anything before then you might want to practice on some old electronic circuit boards to get the hang of it. Read the how to solder and desolder from this site to learn the proper way. http://www.geocities.com/mistertippy/howto/index.html

What you need:
-Philips Screw Driver
-Needle Nose Pliers (smaller ones)
-Soldering & D-Sordering iron(You want a soldering iron with low watts, mine was 15w. Higher watts may damage the board) You can buy soldering irons at Radio Shack
-Beer Can filled 1-4 way with water(This is to put the hot solder in that you take off of the board)
-SMD LEDs (Best place to get them is http://www.oznium.com/plcc-2 The LEDs are plenty bright, I ordered them Sunday and got them Wednesday)

Total Time 1-2 hours that is with the removing of the cluster from the bike.

To get your dash out for LED Mod go here http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=97411

The tools that I used:

What The LEDs looked like:

1. Take the 9 screws out of the back:

2. Remove the 4 screws on the circuit board (recommend unscrewing ¾ of the way and then using your hand to do the rest. This lowers the risk of you slipping when the screw comes out and hitting the board.)

See less See more
#38 ·
back in this write up you said to just put colored gels in to change the tack color . i just did my cluster all white i assumed the tach would show up white even though the surface of it was a slight red . well to my suprise when i put it back together it is red . my question is how to get the needle to show up white ?? do you have to strip what paint it on the top of the needle off ?? any help would be appreciated .

#42 · (Edited)
I have no idea how to make just the needle white i guess you have to remove the red of the needle and change amber to white.

I changed rpm scale to white and a red led on the end of rpm range: (did not forget one which is not on, that is your blinker for the HISS system).

So you also have to change the led to get a complete white needle.

Not completely white:

Hope it helps :ciao:

#43 ·
so for the 07+ cbrs does anyone know

1) how many leds are needed;
2) are they all the same type (pending colour);
3) a product number for said leds; and
4) a link on where to buy them.

Thanks

#46 · (Edited)
Needle Color Change

*THIS WILL ONLY WORK IF YOU CHANGE ALL THE LEDS UNDER IT TO WHITE* The method i have used in the past is to scrap the orange/red paint off the back of the needle and paint it the color you want. I love white needles so i use the grey metalic sharpie to color the same area that the original color was. remember if you paint/color the entire needle it will not glow. The same concept works if you are trying to get a blue needle with white gauges, you would just paint the needle blue. Be sure not to paint the Whole needle, just the same area that paint was removed.

#55 ·
i did it again without doing anything to the tach needle, same colors as last one but white behind the tach this time and i can definitely see the red on the needle. i think maybe it doesn't show up on the other picture because it was completely pitch black when i took the picture, no ambient light or anything.

sadly this time i got a little dark spot around 7k on the tach, didn't notice it until i had everything back together... must have gotten an led not quite flat, dunno if it bothers me enough to take it all apart again or not.

#58 ·
thought i'd throw up a pic of the new colors, i left the needle red, just doesn't show up very red in the picture. i like the way it looks with it red, so don't plan on changing it... the white turn signals are maybe a little brighter than i expected, but at least i won't be riding down the road with my turn signals on (as much as usual... heh)

also, around the needle it looks kind of blue in the picture, but it is actually faint white. meh, what d'you expect from a cell phone camera.

#60 ·
I was wondering that too. When I did mine, I was too scared to pull out the needle. I thought I was gonna break it or something.

#62 ·
I haven't taken mine apart but I assume it is a stepper motor. The way you are supposed to remove a needle from a stepper motor is to rotate the needle counterclockwise on the spindle and gently pull it off. If you just yank the needle straight off you can potentially damage the stepper motor.

#63 ·
Ok yeah, I decided not to mess with the needle. I just desoldered it and everything was a breeze after that.

#67 ·
My tach is white. They work just fine for me and are super bright at night.

#69 ·
be careful when doing this mod if u choose to desolder the back of the needle and remove it that way. the circular metal part surrounding the hole for the pins are very flimsy and in my case broke off. ur tach needle won't work the best with this problem. still currently figuring out a fix for it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.