Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

DIY: Change Color of Guage Cluster 07-08

103K views 183 replies 92 participants last post by  Noobstar 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This got barried in the 03-06 section so I brought it out here. I hope that is ok. Their is not one in here.

I have been wanting to do this for a while now and finally got around to it. Thanks to Jotaro for the idea and pics. After looking into this mod I still had a lot of questions because the information about it is spread around. So here is a how-to broken all the way down, enjoy.

**Caution**If you have not soldered or D-Soldered anything before then you might want to practice on some old electronic circuit boards to get the hang of it. Read the how to solder and desolder from this site to learn the proper way. http://www.geocities.com/mistertippy/howto/index.html

What you need:
-Philips Screw Driver
-Needle Nose Pliers (smaller ones)
-Soldering & D-Sordering iron(You want a soldering iron with low watts, mine was 15w. Higher watts may damage the board) You can buy soldering irons at Radio Shack
-Beer Can filled 1-4 way with water(This is to put the hot solder in that you take off of the board)
-SMD LEDs (Best place to get them is http://www.oznium.com/plcc-2 The LEDs are plenty bright, I ordered them Sunday and got them Wednesday)

Total Time 1-2 hours that is with the removing of the cluster from the bike.

To get your dash out for LED Mod go here http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=97411

The tools that I used:

What The LEDs looked like:

1. Take the 9 screws out of the back:

2. Remove the 4 screws on the circuit board (recommend unscrewing ¾ of the way and then using your hand to do the rest. This lowers the risk of you slipping when the screw comes out and hitting the board.)

See less See more
#71 ·
I have all my plastics off so I am going to do this mod! I am still looking for a local electronics parts store in san diego!

#74 ·
wow those blue leds make them look good. think i might have to smurf my guages out

#79 ·
Thought ild post this to share the knowledge that there are gauges that fit and light up without the need for any desoldering. You wont get the endless possibilities of customization but it is a nice easy way to touch up the instrument cluster.

Will post up pics of rebuilt bike with the other lights on etc

#89 ·
As was said above, I am in Iraq currently but should be back around JULY. All of the pics are on my home computer. The Pic above should be enough in order to tackle this project. Radio shack is where I bought most of my equipment.

It would be good to find an old remote or something that you could de solder a few things then re solder them and see if it still works. If it does then you should be good. If it does not then I would practice more.

#92 · (Edited)
I have a red-black 07 and thinking about what color to do the cluster... I am thinking of all the gauge white and the needle red. How i leave the needle red? Any pics of white rpm and amber lcd?
I found these led but i am thinking about the mcd Intensity...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-PLCC-...es_ET&var=&hash=item8e086d0f48#ht_2122wt_1139
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-x-ULTR...upplies_ET&hash=item53e9b3ba4b#ht_1028wt_1396
Is it too much against oznium leds? Sould i find other with less Intensity?

#99 ·
Please help asap!!!

Hey guys hopefully someone can help me out with this tonight. I started on the led color change and have only gotten to the left 2 LEDS(Leds for the gas) before I quit. I think I may have shorted something out or i'm doing something wrong. I soldered the top one fine, pluged the board into my bike to test it and it lit up great. Now when I did the second one below it as I soldered it on the top on flashed a little bit, i thought maybe some current had gone through the gun and made a connection somehow..no biggie. But it was a biggie, I plugged the board into my bike again and neither one is coming on now. Please help!! ASAP. text or call me asap as I will be going back to my shop in the morning to bring the parts to a local computer service place. I know how to solder and this is not a hard job...I just dont know what the hell is wrong with it now. thanks. \

BTW if anyone has any extra Blue Leds I could really use them, i got too close with the gun on a couple and melted the led:banghead:

#100 ·
sounds like a cold solder or you got the led too hot and if failed. Probably just need to replace one or both. If you have a 510 ohm resistor you can check the led on 12v to see if it is working or not.

#102 ·
Get a resistor from radio shack and test each one to find out if one of them doesn't work. If they both work you are fine. if one doesn't then you need to replace it.

#103 ·
I say you box it up and send it to Tripage to get it fixed right! I think they charge like $60 or something. This is one mod I won't even attempt because I have no soldering skills and this is very delicate. I plan on sending mine in this winter.

Sent from somewhere down the bayou.

#107 ·
None of them will work if it's a fuse.

Tons of things can get messed up on the board while doing this. Easiest thing is check the led's to make sure they work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.