Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Interesting article - decisions, 08 blade vs s1000rr

7K views 34 replies 19 participants last post by  Rad Rage 
#1 · (Edited)

I found this interesting i read it a while back so just posting it in case somebody hasn't seen it, when you look at the final cost, remember not only is the cbr at least 2yrs older since the bmw came out 2010(cant see year on the article and im on a small break no time to search it) they've also bought most of that stuff new so imagine the final price if you got it all used....since I ride street I agree with this article, and it'll be the same thinking when I come to get the next bike.

http://www.superstreetbike.com/feat...1000rr_vs_bmw_s1000rr_streetbike/viewall.html

It's started me thinking of bazzaz on the next bike...definitely a worth addition with all the TC gooddies etc on a 1000cc powerhouse like the 08+cbr

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
they go for about $7.9k worth at the current exchange rate here in the UK

but current estimates here are for the HP4 BMW to go for around $25k worth, now imagine what you can do to the blade for that left over $18k LOL, you could fit all over carbon and a full akra like the HP4 and have a new house with the change!

I'm thinking for the future of an around 2010(if I can) CBR1000RR, ASV long levers, Bazzaz possibly or power commander depending on what comes out, arata slipon, michelin road 3 tyres, galfer discs, ferodo pads, stm slipper clutch, R&G bar ends/bungs/fork protectors/spools, engine case sliders, oxford heated grips, puig clear double bubble, carbon front mudguard, carbon rear mudguard, carbon chain guard, carbon tank protector, carbon metre surround, carbon fuel cap cover, ohlins fork springs, ohlins rear shock, titanium chain adjusters, titanium rear and front disc bolts, titanium engine bolts, titanium rear wheel nut, custom paint scheme, flush front indicators, mini rear indicators, custom seat(well custom colors but not custom made really), rear solo cowl, goodridge braided brake lines, castrol power 1 racing engine oil, castrol dot4 brake fluid...and it goes on, once I get the blade I think I may stop buying bikes and just mod the feck out of it untill it gets silly....

....now i just need a payrise....

#4 ·
I've ridden the 08 blade. Fully modded for the track (minus fairings). Put out over 170whp the owner told me. I had it for a couple of days and put around 500kms on it.

To this day, it is the fastest bike I have ever ridden. The midrange on it is pure savage. Between 5K-10K rpms it was downright scary. However it was also very easy to ride, very easy to operate with great clutch feel.

The handling was smooth and predictable. I even rode it on the street in the rain. I think this is the biggest benefit of the CBR. The easiest literbike to ride.

#5 ·
I don't understand why the s1000 is so over hyped... Yea the features are cool and all but my buddy has one and I've ridden it and its good but not epic ill never ride another bike again like every one talks about it...

IMO is semi ugly and looks half retarded with the idk wtf the designers were thinking head lights...

It's like a Porsche Its a poor mans Ferrari but ever owner swears by them..

In this case its the poor mans ducatti/Aprilla.

#8 ·
reason behind the headlights...smaller one is to save weight, I don't know why they didn't make both of them like the small one. But I also don't think it looks ugly. I got a few buddies with the s1000, 2 of which talk about it like its a gift sent from heaven, one just enjoys riding it.

Question is...do you want quality, or hype/badge/extra power

#9 ·
Thanks for the article, it's making me want to buy one even more now. :burnout: can't wait!

And the BMW is definitely out of my price range, but I do like the head lights. I think they're different and cool but that's my opinion :retard:

But the FireBlades look soo f'ing sick!!! I'm looking for an 09-10-11 at the moment and got a few replies back but nothing concrete yet.
brmoore, you should post pics when you get one :banger:

#12 ·
That article was a great read. Gave me a warm feeling inside. Thanks Dude.

It most certainly does. That is why I ride what I ride.

The headlights are a dealbreaker for me. Why can't they make both look like the normal headlight. That bike would be gorgeous if they did that.

#13 ·
Thanks brmoore....

you raised the value of my sleeper bike!

after watching IOM tt's for years, and seeing Ian Hutchinson rage in the 09,

I am sold.

however, this evidence will probably be used against me.

How do you explain to the magistrate;"i was perfectly under control" (had the wheel tickling the horizon) when you are cited for 130+ in a 55 mph zone....

all readers of this post please help.

#15 ·
Definitely an eye opener for some, really makes you happy if you just dont want to spend that much on a bike and can still get pretty damn close performance wise by buying something like a slightly older bike and tweak it like an angel.

#17 ·
Seen this article in the mag a while back. Always good when food for thought type directions are promoted more. Instead of a whole load of uselss power people never know what to do with properly!

...from building Blades for fast road riding for people, and from a work point of view here, I found a bit of a boost in mid range was good, so i like what they did there with power - even full Akra ain't too noisy - but am not in with the anodised bits, as they don't really do anything for me and do not make it corner better or anything anyways...

Suspension-wise, certainly the nicest build for the road done, was when we used a slightly modified R&T fork, so a 25mm kit (not the 30's), and then built up a WP shock instead of the TTX. The WP gives all the nice feel that you get from the Factory Showa once revalved, and has all the reliability for long trips that they don't - maybe you didn't know, but the K-Tech's and Kit HRC Showa shocks all run high maintenance bladders, which should be rebuilt often so as to dispel (or re-dispel_) the accumulating gas in the oil (rubber leaks). And whilst the TTX is a fine shock too, the WP is really suited to the Blade when on the road. Yet sadly overlooked due to its price out of Austria nowadays. Might not even be available anymore too...

I think we had like 42mm/32mm sag and some Racetec K3's so they heated up fast (lower operating range) and she was sweet for munching away one side of our continent - but still used up tyres faster than my 600 on the same mountains trip we did last year, ha ha

Riding all these bikes every year - all the litres - on road tests, I really have a soft spot for da Blade, excellent bike, even without TC like the others have. The 2012 is even better than ever, and when swapping back n forth all day on all these bikes, what one notices is how you gravitate toward the easier to ride one's as the roads get bumpier, wetter, or as I get tired-er after 6 hours riding! Of course the Beeemer is an engineering marvel, but actually the Gixxer, or the Blade are for the least-amount-of-effort-to-ride-still-fast type mental-space-place. There are heaps of fast bikes about now, and heaps of on-paper/screen really fast one's; but riding the last 200kms to the nearest bed, and putting up with it on highly-potentially unfamiliar surfaces; and basically dealing with in all scenarios is what goes on isn't it when you buy something and like riding it that you go and travel? So ya, Blade's are wkd, and it even does well around tighter tracks well too!

#18 · (Edited)
I'm pretty set now on a 2009 HRC colors blade and modding it...now I just need the money, and for my insurance to come down, but in the next year or 2, if i dont lose my job or die of some disease or something silly like that then im thinking it'll happen

my dilemma is, do i mod my bike in the meantime? I could try just saving my money but i know it'll get spent on something so better my 600rr, i may not get my money back but if i finish my plans of modding it tastefully...my bike will sell quick i can say that for sure...

Edit: Don't think it'll be soon, £2600($4130.23) a year insurance with my current company for a 2009 CBR1000RR, this time next year it'll drop to £1800($2859.39), and this is third party +fire and theft, not even fully comp!

#20 ·
WTF?! I think you need to re look at that.. I was looking at getting basic full coverage on my 08 600rr and with a no name company was $3k a year.. Im spilling out $500 a year for liability II ($5k coverage is driver is uninsured)

I think your mislead or thinking you have full when you have basic.. There's no way.

#29 ·
thats weird, im at 38 / month for my 06 600rr ... just a little over 450 a year ... thats FULL coverage

#31 ·
its got a lot to do with your age bracket and location

as for the article, i love the blade, if i ever decided to bump up to a liter i would strongly consider one

#32 · (Edited)
its got a lot to do with your age bracket and location

as for the article, i love the blade, if i ever decided to bump up to a liter i would strongly consider one
yea two things I can't change haha, well 1800 isn't end of the world, just not really affordable now as well as the buying of the blade, i did a car insurance quote once, car was worth £500....they quoted me over £12000

Here's some more on topic images:

and a personal favorite...

#34 · (Edited)
When I get a Fireblade, I'm definitely going to get an Arrow exhaust. I really like the TT Legends and HRC models. They are so f**king sick looking! And the Repsol models are obviously super sick as well. Its going to be an interesting spring and summer.

But I can't believe how much insurance some of you guys pay :| holy smoked!

I'm still kinda stuck on the 1199, but will be demo riding a few and see what happens. But they are sooooo expensive and insane to maintain, so if I got one I'd be broke as f**k, LOL!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.