Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New riders recommending the 600rr as first bike

7K views 121 replies 55 participants last post by  600rrdude 
#1 ·
[rant]

in the last few days I have read a couple of posts from new riders recommending the 600rr as a first bike. I mean, one had his rr for only a month, the other for only a week and both suggested that starting/learning to ride on a sportbike, the 600rr in particular, was fine...

Do me a favor, if you've only got 6 months or less on a bike, and the 600rr is your first bike, please refrain from commenting on the appropriateness of the 600rr as a first bike.

[/rant]

#4 ·
Yea I agree I was beginnig to wonder. These guys that get an 05 600rr for there first bike are going to relize how bad it sucks fixing it after you drop it doing something stupid. I dropped my old bikes a few times. And quads and dritbikes don't mean that you can just jump on a street bike and be ok. Hope eveyone gears up and is safe out there.

#5 ·
Im one of those new riders and I did not reccomend anyone to start out on this bike I just said it depends on the type of rider you are and if you trust yourself on the bike.

Alot of accidents on bikes happen for factors that are out of the riders control, something slick on the road, the moron cager that cuts in front of you, something runs out in front of you. When something like that happens thats out of your control it goes outside of the relm of what you were riding. When it comes to not taking the RR as your first bike its fitting if your going to be an idiot and drive beyond your limits and do stunts.

Its like w/ cars, 100 MPH in a yugo and 100 MPH in an enzo + a tree will = the same results ( yes I know an enzo is much safter then a Yugo but I think you see my point.)

Im by no means going agnest what anyone is saying as far as starting out smaller but what it comes down to is yourself and your personal choices.

#7 ·
I disagree. I think no matter how seasoned a rider you are, stupid crap still happens. I think if a new rider gets on a new bike, feels comfortable on it, and rides within their (limited) ability with no problems, they are the perfect ones to recommend it to new riders. You guys and gals who have been riding 2+ years can't comment on your first bike, especially if it was a 600, since it was so long ago. I've had my 600 for 2 months, and yes, i've laid it down once, b/c at the time for me it was life or death. I chose life, but thats beyond the point.

Basically, just b/c I'm a new rider that doesn't mean my recommendation for this bike as a first bike is worthless. I stand by it. It's simply a matter of being smart, careful, and cautious about when, where, and how you ride. You control the bike, not the other way around.

Ride with gear, ride within your limits, take things slowly, don't try to impress anyone (other than looking super sexy on your bad baby), and just let it flow. Then the RR is a PERFECT FIRST BIKE...ok, sorry that took so long.

#8 ·
I think what TH001 was trying to say is that a person with little experience cannot know the difference enough to give a good recommendation. It's like the guy that doesn't like Mercedes cause he can't afford one.

#9 ·
('04 RR my first bike, 18 months, 13K miles)

the problem with the argument that stupid crap happens to everyone isn't accurate: a seasoned rider will know how to deal with gravel/oil/water/whatever much better/faster/more appropriately than a new rider no matter what the bike. just look at 5150 (not bashing or flaming), a new rider on an exit ramp hits some gravel and low-sides. i'd bet the more experienced riders would not have gone down.

#10 ·
i agree w/blue blur that a more seasoned rider is more likely to get out of a sticky situation than a noob..

at the same time tho bad stuff/situations can come anyone's direction and the roads can be unpredictable at times..experience is helpful in suggestions but at the same time there are some people that have never laid down a bike in years of riding and there are some less than a month on a bike that have laid it down. if you have a level head and don't ride outside of your limitations the any bike can be suitable for any person.

#12 ·
I agree w/ what you guys have said as far a as a noob VS an experienced rider in the same situation. Such as comming around an off ramp and hitting some oil or antifreeze. Regardless of what the noob is riding it will prob have the same result b/c of his lack of riding expericence so if hes riding a ninja 250 or an RR then what does it matter? Just leads to him smashing up his new and pretty bike VS a bike that he might not care as much about.

It goes back to what I said in my first post of that there are some things that we as riders cannot control and when those things happen its not b/c you were riding an RR for the reason you crashed.

#13 ·
i personally would rather have a more capable bike than have a less capable bike in any given situation..there are plenty of bikes that don't handle as well, that don't have the stopping power or acceleration power that our bikes have and all of those things stand the potential to help you get out of a sticky situation..i'd rather know that if i need to throw the bike one direction or the other that the bike has the tires/suspension and ability to take whatever i can throw at it and more w/o upsetting it and causing me harm..thats just my opinion tho

#15 ·
Toobs said:
lol... 2 months on a bike, 2 years on a bike..

You only learn to ride once... anyone who has learned to ride a bike has full right to state how they believe or disbelieve that learning on a 600rr is a good idea..

+1 toobs i'm w/you

#16 ·
Toobs said:
lol... 2 months on a bike, 2 years on a bike..

You only learn to ride once... anyone who has learned to ride a bike has full right to state how they believe or disbelieve that learning on a 600rr is a good idea..

whtdvl said:
+1 toobs i'm w/you

Ummmm, are you guys still wearing diapers? I think you two should be riding gixxers...lol:01_bitchs

#17 ·
i'd have to disagree w/ you on that Toobs, as most (granted, not all) more seasoned riders will likely have had more experiences with a bike with which to relate, not to mention will likely have ridden MORE bikes in general by which they can form an opinion on what one bike or type of bike does or doesn't do better than another...

granted, i'm not bashing those w/ less experience, as i am sure many of you with half as much saddle time in as i have would likely ride circles around me; i'm a proficient rider, but i too make mistakes, both in execution and judgement, but i count myself as fortunate for realizing that...

#18 ·
As a general rule, I wouldn't recommend a sportbike to anyone under 30 years old. I think you need good respect for your mortality before you should consider a sportbike.

I was 31 when I bought the RR as a first bike, I took to it quickly but took my time learning the bike and had Humungo RESPECT for the machine that I was on. I think too many 18 year olds just out of school, trying to impress their friends will do stupid **** and hurt themselves badly. There should be a minimum age for anything over 250cc

JMO

#19 ·
WherzRoony said:
As a general rule, I wouldn't recommend a sportbike to anyone under 30 years old.
Im 28, I agree I dont think a sportbike should be put in the hands of a teenager either. Maturity level between 18-30 is huge.

#20 ·
Wiggawam said:
This is why they have limits in the UK on what you could start with. I wish they started those here, I don't think we would see so many Rider Down threads on shiny new bikes. I agree 100%

Exactly! Either that or an age limit.

I can't beleive all of these younger dudes getting sportbikes. There is NO WAY IN HELL my mom would have let me get a bike like the RR at 18. I'd have been disowned.

#21 ·
My first bike was a 92 Seca 750, thing was a beast. Hard to control and heavy as hell. Rode that for 6 months and bought a 99 cbr600F4 (in 2000) rode that for the last few years and just got a 2004 600rr. And there's no way in hell I'd recommend this bike to someone as their first bike. Way too much power for someone just learning to ride. Driving this vs my old F4 is a night and day difference. Anyone that's just learning to ride, go pick up a ninja 250 for 6 months before you think you'll be ok on a brand new 600. The experiences you'll have and the rider knowledge will possibly save your life.

#22 ·
Logic holds that if you are a new rider (counting years, saddle time or whatever) and have only been on a 600rr, you have no qualifications for providing an objective recommendation because there is nothing else for you to compare to from your own experience. (Besides the increase in displacement a Gixxer 750 could be a overall better beginner bike but would you know?)

An experienced rider (one who has intimacy with riding and different machines) can provide an indepth anaylsis of points and counterpoints of a bike, besides just saying the seat is hard, or I haven't crashed yet.

I'll cut my rant short, before I fill up the page. - my last .02

#23 ·
So if I make it around the block once my opinion is as valuable and justified as somebody who has been riding for 1000's of miles and has years of experenice and has been in situations that you haven't. hmmm.....

I have about 30,000 miles on total riding, and yesterday, for the first time, I slid my back tire. I am still a newb in many ways, but thank God I have listened to those who have more experience because if not, I would have cut the throttle and wiped. Listening to those who have more experenice and trying to learn from them only makes me better. I wouldn't take advice from somebody who has only ridden for 2 months.

In two years you may regret buying such a high performance bike (after you drop it and still owe 5 grand for example) new, and your opinion might be completely different. Of course people can start on any type of bike, and I support that. But I would question buying a brand new bike first (odds are you will drop it) and wasting your money. Its a difference of opinion, and yours will likely change with experience. Then agian I know many people who learned on new, high performace bikes and had no problems. Maybe I'm just a cautious person.

#26 ·
Age doesn’t necessarily determine your maturity level….I have had a very level head since I was in my teens…. My first bike was a ’03rr when I was 19…I had no experience whatsoever…and I have never laid it down(my friend took care of that for me)… it has been a great bike to start on for me… I’m not saying that everybody should start on 600 either… I just don’t think you can stick an age limit on a bike… it all comes down to having a little self control and respecting it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.