Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Reasons for not getting an RR as a first bike?

4K views 54 replies 34 participants last post by  nickyrr 
#1 ·
Ok first and foremost, this post is not meant to stir up a lot of crap or start a big online argument. Im asking because Im really curious as to why so many people are dead set against noobs getting RRs. Im sure there are a lot of valid reasons and I'd like to know what a lot of them are. Im also asking because it might help some of us newer riders know what the dangers of starting on an RR are. Personally I can think of several reasons, but I want to know what the more experienced riders think.

I know one reason is that the RR is a very powerful bike and is hard for a lot of noobs to handle.
What are some other reasons? Is it because its not a good idea to get a new bike in general for a beginner? Is it because RRs arent cheap and most new riders drop them in the first year? Is an RR harder to handle with regards to steering compared to other bikes? I was under the assumption that the RR handles better than many bikes. Is this incorrect? Is it because many younger people feel the need to ride out of thier limits on a bike like this?

And again, if youre just going to post to stir up s**t, dont bother.

#3 ·
1) bike cost
2) repair cost
3) insurance cost
4) riding position/handling - Yes, sportbikes "handle well". What does that mean though? My ratty old ZR-7S with its air-cooled engine and mediocre brakes is much easier to ride at legal speeds than the CBR. It turns and leans with no effort and holds its line off-power - none of which apply to the CBR.

Being comfortable on a bike goes a long way towards your overall safety. Some people with years of experience on many different bikes choose sportbikes as their style of choice. Most, however, choose what's fashionable and convince themselves that it suits them.

#4 ·
I'm a newb and got a brand spakin new 05 RR. I ride within my limits , so I wouldnt know the difference between a 250 or 600. I dont do anything stupid and I have been just fine. If I drop the bike I have insurance. If you want it get it, you will be just fine.

I your gonna be a stupid unsafe rider it doesnt matter what you ride.

#5 ·
Hmr1 said:

you've seen my other thread havent you?

Its not that new riders shouldnt get the RR. Its that a sportbike in general isnt a good first bike.

its always better to buy a used bike as a first.

Here is an in depth look:
http://home.earthlink.net/~thebradfords/startsmall.htm

Why buy a smaller, used bike first and then work your way up to the larger and/or more powerful bike?
This question seems to get debated ad-nauseum on internet discussion sites so I thought I'd put together my thoughts about it... take it or leave it, this advice is genuinely offered if you are in the position of starting motorcycling.

Many people view Harleys and other cruisers as proper bikes. Big 1000cc 1200cc bikes - "men's bikes"!! Or maybe the fastest bike ever, a Hayabusa 1300cc rocketship - woah, now that's a "real bike". So, a 600cc "crotch rocket" would be half the size and therefore a kid's bike - ideal for a learner obviously... Wrong - don't even go there. The big four manufacturers fight over that lucrative market like hungry hyenas, making beautiful shiny (virtually) race ready sportbikes that few new riders can resist.

So they innocently ask "which is the best 600cc bike to learn on?".

Comparing 600cc sportbikes as starter bikes is daft. They all have twice the power and a much much higher top speed than a cruiser. Some may be tamer than others but the basic premise of a middleweight sportbike is all wrong for learning motorcycle skills. The ergonomics are out and out dangerous for a newbie on the street ( reaching for clip ons, rear-set pegs, craning neck up in traffic, restricted turning circle etc etc..) and the power's too much. It's better to focus on a smaller displacement 'standard' bike. They are set up for more compliant handling and ride and they are more comfortable, an important point while you're learning.

Take the pressure off - get a starter bike to start on.

Accidents happen mostly between 6th month and 3rd year of riding so learn on something you won't be so upset about when you drop it.

A less powerful bike will not punish you so badly for jerking the throttle like a newbie.

Smaller and lighter bikes are easier to handle. There's a lot to think about until you're comfortable about turning, stopping, gearchanging acceleration.

The value of a smaller bike, eg a 250, is learning to get the performance out of them - it really teaches you to ride to the bike's and your own potential. A 250, 350, 400 might seem small to you at first, but think of it as a step in the journey, learn to wring it's neck and be a better rider in the long run.

Regardless of power and speed, it's a good idea for new riders to geta bike that allows both feet to be placed flat on the ground. This tends to inspire confidence and will eliminate a lot of concern about dropping the bike. Undeniably, the slow parking lot type manoevers are the trickiest for a new rider, and being able to put your feet down really helps.

Smaller bikes are also usually lighter - weight can be a big deal in gaining confidence on the first bike.

Starting on a faster bike makes learning proper brake technique harder. Most new riders cannot judge how to use brakes effectively, intuition tells us that using the front brake will "flip" the bike or make the tire slide out. It's common for new riders to thus make the mistake of depending on the rear brake and the faster you are going the deadlier it can be.

Insurance rates are much higher for the larger more powerful bikes.

What if you don't like riding? Used bikes don't depreciate as quickly as new bikes so you'll lose out less when you sell it.

If you buy a cheaper bike, you'll be able to afford better quality protective gear: Minumum should be full face helmet, Leather jacket, gloves, boots and leather pants (yes - leather pants: studies show the majority of injuries to bikers are lower body injuries). Also, wear all your gear every time you ride, even if it's just a mile or two down to the shops.

Here's a selfish reason: I've been riding for many years and I don't want newbies who are out of their depth tarnishing the image of sportbike riders - yes other more experienced and immature riders do plenty of that too but law enforcement can spot a newbie on a sportbike just as easily as you or I can.

The desire for a larger bike is sometimes (often) a result of peer pressure. How you deal with what others think of you is your problem but if you decide on the sportbike because you want to fit in or because your buddies said so, then you need to think really seriously about that.

Most expert riders recommend learning on a smaller bike as the safer route.

If you ask an experienced rider's opinion, find out from them: how experienced they are, exactly what they started on and what kind of riding they do. Me, I've ridden streetbikes for 28 years and half that time on sportbikes. I started on a Yamaha RD250 two-stroke.

The salesman at the bike showroom should NEVER be considered an experienced or expert rider in this matter. Whatever he says, take it with a pinch of salt, especially if it would seem to be helping him with a sale.

Newbies on powerful sportbikes look a LOT funnier wobbling round turns than newbies on smaller bikes.

Some people claim proudly ...I survived as a litre bike newbie... having got a big bad sportbike as their first bike and six months later, they're still around to talk about it. That's great but they were/are beating the odds and playing a high stakes game - the stake they are risking is their health or even their life. It's not really that wonderful. The other thing is, it's usually quite easy to spot the ones who started on bigger bikes - uncomfortable looking on the bike, less fluid on twisty roads, more focused on straightline speed than form, and quite embarrassing to watch at less than 5mph speeds.

This is not from my own experience, but many riders have said that motorcyclists who learn first on dirtbikes end up as better riders when they transition to streetbikes. This I think is a lot to do with throttle control, balance and learning far more about the limits of tire traction. So consider going that route first. MSF now runs Dirt Bike Schools for beginners.

A used bike will teach you about motorcycle maintainance, something every rider should at least know the basics of. It's less likely you'll want to get your hands dirty on a newer or more high-tech model.

Whichever bike you have decided on, try doing the basic Motorcycle Safety Foundation training course course BEFORE you commit to a bike. The MSF lend you a small displacement bike to start on and the time you spend riding that may help you with your decision. If you're outside the USA, take a look at these training links and see if you can find a local class.

#12 ·
No another one. Big ups to Pantablo though.

#17 ·
i started with a 99 zx7, then went to a 98 gixxer 750, then to the 600rr last year and now i ride a 05 gixxer 750. i started riding when i was 19 and never rode any sort of "motorcycle" but i learned quick. there are some reasons for not gettin the rr or any of the six hundrids casue they are all pretty comperable, but most people dont have money to get a crappy bike to learn on then a new one some time later........i say get it, you gotta learn somehow and u are gonna enjoy a new bike more than a old crappie one. as far as going down goes, well almost everyone goes down at one point of their riding career, its just a matter of time, i ve been down 3 times and have been luck enough to walk away all 3 times........and i know all u guys are gonna say that ive been down three times and i know nothing, but first time i got rearended, 2nd time a car cut in front of me and hit the breaks causing me to rearend her, and the third time was my fault i was doin a endo and hit a stick that took out my front tire. after all that said, do what makes u happy and what u can afford and opinions are like a**holes, everyone got one

#18 ·
i dont understand how someone can buy a 600 as there first bike (not making effense to anyone who did) but its just a big to dangerouse in my own opinion , when i first sat on a bike it was a cb250 and it felt big and when i went to the riders course it was still hard for me to control it , and today those bikes u can turn so easy , then got a cbr250rr for a half a year or prob 1 yr and i rode it a fair bit , then wen i jumped on a 600 i was like wtf is this it felt huge and the tiniest of throttle the bike would go not to mention the turning was extra weird bike just tips to the angle , i cant imagine if i fuked up on throttle on 600 as first bike id superman straight into the concrete face first as well the bike would be strached i would be so cut cause they look so god dam good, with 250's lets say u stuff up on overthrottle its 100 millions times safer than a 600 would be, id recommend geting a 250 used bike if anything happens to it , a drop or small fall it will be way better than droping a brand new 600 bike of the best,also ull appreciate the bike more

#19 ·
One good reason is this....

My whole body hurts. I did a ton of riding today and damn do I feel it. I could not wait to get home and park the bike tonight. Its not that I dont like or enjoy the bike but I did alot of riding today and its not the most comfortable thing. My writs, my legs and my back are aching I think I'll take the truck to work tomorrow and give my body a days rest from riding. Im one of the new riders w/ an RR and if your not used to riding and not used to the sportbike riding position then your going to be hurting on your first long trip.

#21 · (Edited)
Well, Ill post this one last thing and then Im going to shut my piehole on the subject since I still consider myself very much a noob to street bikes. I simply wanted reasons in one easy to read topic. Yes, Im lazy and didnt want to sort through the other posts so for that I apologize if I wasted someones time by posting this topic again. However, there was way too much arguing to sort through in the other posts to make a lot of them even worth reading. I was hoping to get good answers and not bickering, which I did, so thanks.

I think there was a misunderstanding as far as me getting a 600RR. I already have an RR. I bought it a few months ago, and put about 2500 miles on it so far. There was little doubt in my mind about whether it was the right bike or not. I researched it, talked with friends whove been riding for years and went with it. Ive had nothign but GREAT experiences on it and love it which is why I was so curious as to why people are so dead set against it. Ive also had several years of dirt bike experience which has transferred to the RR quite a bit. Ive also ridden an RR before. I had a friend who loaned me his several times. Why would he be so crazy as to loan his bike to someone? In his words... if I dropped it, I could afford to fix it (I made a decent living). So, although the RR is my first bike, Im not completely new to bikes. The throttle and handling on the RR didnt seem foreign to me at all so maybe the dirt bikes helped more than I realized.

Sure, Ive had a couple of scares on it, but I think that would happen with any bike, and my friends with 20 years experience still have close calls here and there.

If I drop it, its fully insured.

Would I suggest someone get an RR for a first bike? No. Would I say not to? No. Would I suggest a person with absolutely no experience get one? Hell no. There, Im done.

#22 ·
A big reason people preach against a 600RR as a first bike is, to put it bluntly, ego. No one wants to hear that the 165mph baby that we're so proud of is a good beginner's bike.Even if a new rider were to magically stay below a quarter throttle and never get over third gear, we'd be here saying "Oh, that's a street legal race bike, you have to pay your dues before you deserve one of those."

I bought my RR one year and four days ago, new. The other day on the one year mark, it turned over 15,000 miles. It's gone to the East Coast and back, along with thousands of miles of awesome sportbike roads. I'm still around (knock on wood) I went for the RR since I was just back from overseas, and no way was my combat pay going to a crap bike. And with a background riding and racing CR's up until three or four years ago, riding a performance bike wasn't a foreign concept to me. After hustling a MX bike around a track, sportbikes seem like they're superglued to the road.
And to top it off, I've got a pretty dominant self preservation gene and I was determined to learn and survive. That's the most important thing.

So is the 600RR a GOOD beginner's bike? Probably not, but there's a lot worse choices out there and many of us just need to accept the fact that as capable as our bikes are, they can also be a big fuzzy teddy bear of a bike to a beginner that respects it.

G
#23 ·
Hmr1 said:
Ok first and foremost, this post is not meant to stir up a lot of crap or start a big online argument. Im asking because Im really curious as to why so many people are dead set against noobs getting RRs. Im sure there are a lot of valid reasons and I'd like to know what a lot of them are. Im also asking because it might help some of us newer riders know what the dangers of starting on an RR are. Personally I can think of several reasons, but I want to know what the more experienced riders think.

I know one reason is that the RR is a very powerful bike and is hard for a lot of noobs to handle.
What are some other reasons? Is it because its not a good idea to get a new bike in general for a beginner? Is it because RRs arent cheap and most new riders drop them in the first year? Is an RR harder to handle with regards to steering compared to other bikes? I was under the assumption that the RR handles better than many bikes. Is this incorrect? Is it because many younger people feel the need to ride out of thier limits on a bike like this?

I have seen people break their necks on huffy's. If you cant control yourself and respect the power of a rr you cant respect the power of any bike inthe world. I am a firm believer that it is all in how you twist the grip. Don't ride past your ability and dont rush yourself to push your ability. i have seen noobs case every bike known to man wether it was a hyabusta or a ninja 250. get whatever bike you are most comfortable on and if at any point you feel like you cant do somthing comfortably onyour bike dont do it untill you feel confident, have some experience and know and respect the power of your bike. Its a fool who doesnt buy a bike because he is afraid that the power will kill him. Its a wise person that knows the limits of himself versus the power of his bike.

#24 ·
Nitro Junkie said:
I'm a newb and got a brand spakin new 05 RR. I ride within my limits , so I wouldnt know the difference between a 250 or 600. I dont do anything stupid and I have been just fine. If I drop the bike I have insurance. If you want it get it, you will be just fine.

Same as me, never rode any type of motorcycle (dirtbike yes, streetbike no) before i got my 600rr. Just take your time and dont be stupid. I had about 100 miles riding experience total in my life when i first rode Deals Gap/ The Dragon. It mightve took me an hour to get thru it but i didnt feel like killing myself or wrecking my new bike.

#25 ·
Nitro Junkie said:

Exactly ditto - that's kinda funny.

#26 ·
I'm sure someone or a couple of people have already said that the 600rr or almost any ss600 is too much bike for a beginner. This is due to the power of the bike, the rate of acceleration for just a couple of reasons. Also the lack of experience in handling a bike w/this much potential will probably result in the inexperienced rider crashing the bike not only damaging the bike but hurting themself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.