Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

My new-to-me '05

3K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  darkfader 
#1 ·
Finally picked up another bike today. It's an '05 with 77xx miles. Looks pretty solid, never been down. Needs some maintenance. I'm super stoked.

See less See more
#9 · (Edited)
Today I was able to give the bike a decent cleaning. I still need to change the oil, so when those fairings come off, I'll clean as I go. I let the battery sit on a tender while it was getting a bath. After the wipe down, I'm pretty impressed with the 10 year old paint. There's only a few minor scuffs here and there, and a good cleaner/wax may hide most of them. I mounted my TST tag bracket while the battery was out. I'm happy with the lighting I got from them also. Everything was fairly priced and shipped really fast. I was going to mount my Scott's steering damper, but apparently I have the wrong part that sits over the steering stem nut. Is there a difference in the mounts from 04 to 05?!?!? Either way I'm bummed about that. I'm looking for one if anyone has it laying around. Otherwise I'll have to call Scotts. I removed the reflectors from the front fender, realizing they were incorporated into the bolt spacers. Did a quick cutoff with the grinder and smoothed out the edge to retain the spacer part, but not have any of the bracket showing. Anyway, here's a few pics. Don't mind the missing rear hugger, those bolts were stripped out real bad so I carefully removed them and waiting on some fresh fasteners to put it back on. Chain kit is next, I'm so indecisive on what gearing I want.

Not sure how I feel about the blue wheel stripes. I think silver would look better, or maybe even red.

TST smoked turns

Suspension has never had a wrench on it. I'll need to change that for sure.

Fender eliminator and smoked integrated tail. Tag hasn't been registered yet but should be by the end of the month.

The lights are pretty bright. I can recommend TST as a good vendor.

#13 · (Edited)
So somehow, I lost my only key for the bike at some point last week. I destroyed the house, my truck and looked everywhere with no luck. My local honda shop said they could cut a new key for $5.30 if I brought the ignition switch and proof of ownership in. So I did that. They cut two blanks using the code on the switch and neither key would work so I took the switch to a locksmith who was able to disassemble the switch and cut a couple copies. I'll pick it up Monday morning. I ordered a few of the 'euro style' blanks to have the locksmith cut also. And I ordered the HRC rear reservoir delete from Mani at slowboyracing. Just waiting on the mail now.

I have an 07+ front master cylinder I'd like to install and I've been looking at stainless lines to improve braking. I'm worried about fitment though, it seems like the front res will hit the nose fairing closest to the windscreen. I know it's been done but not sure if I'll need to find a new smaller res for it or just put some creative bends in the res bracket. I'm thinking Core Moto lines look nice with all the different colors available.

I want some shorty levers too. Lol

In the meantime, I was able to get the chain cleaned up to look like new and the sprox look fine to ride on until I decide on gearing so I will concentrate on the brakes before I get a new chain kit

#14 ·
This morning I insured and registered the RR. Then I picked up my ignition and new keys and put the bike back together. The keys the locksmith cut work smoother than the original that I lost. Lol. I checked everything over one more time, aired the pilot powers up to 31F/36R, and made a couple adjustments to the suspension settings and went for a short ride. To be honest, it felt just a little sketchy leaning. I'm hoping that it's just because it's been 3 years since I've been on a bike and I'll get more comfortable soon. It was chilly outside and I've never ridden on michelins before so I really don't know. I'm sure I need a real suspension guy to tune it as well. It's hard to judge because my track bike had so much suspension work done, it was far from stock.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to more seat time, I need to find a qualified suspension tuner. And I DEFINITELY want to upgrade the brakes.

#19 ·
How old are the tires? If they are more than 4 seasons past their manufactured date they may need replacing even though they are in good physical shape.

I've found that tires, SS tires especially, fall off after 3 or 4 years and feel very sketchy when it comes to cornering. You may want to take advantage of the Dunlop rebate and put a fresh set on there, though personally I prefer Michelin over Dunlops but for the price......

Reactions: darkfader
#20 ·
The date codes are from '12. I was hoping to ride them, but maybe I should just get some fresh rubber.

#21 ·
I put 5 more psi in my front tire and it feels much better. I also figured out I had some serious brake drag up front as well. So I cleaned the calipers, pistons, spring retainers, and pins really well and installed a new set of EBC HH pads. I've come to the conclusion that I really just hate the brakes on this bike. My last bike had the brembo MC and stainless lines so maybe I was spoiled. I ordered a full set of Core Moto stainless lines and they are set to arrive Friday at which time I will swap out the 05 MC for this 07 MC I had as a spare for my track bike. I'm hoping that will improve the feel because I'm really disappointed in the feel right now.

I decided to get rid of the blue wheel stripes and applied some silver. I think I like it but maybe red would look better. I just used a 5$ roll of pin striping from the auto parts store so I may grab a red roll and see what that looks like. :ponder:

#22 ·
A few items arrived.

HRC rear res delete kit and red key from Mani at slowboyracing. Quick shipping, order from him with confidence IMO. Thanks mang!

And some translucent red stainless braided lines from Core Moto. Also super fast shipping.

Hopefully I can get busy tomorrow swapping in my '07 master cylinder and the new lines and res delete. I'm looking forward to a better brake feel on this thing.

#27 ·
This morning I installed the CoreMoto front brake lines and 07 master cylinder.

The MC was a tight fit but went on without too much trouble. I had to gently bend the pins for the brake switch wires to clear the banjo connection and I also needed to slightly bend the MC res bracket to clear the upper cowl near the windscreen. Other than that it looks and fits like stock.

After bleeding the system, I figured I'd take it for a quick spin to see how the brakes felt and it's quite a difference, thankfully. It's no brembo like my old track bike had but it's much better than the stock axial 05 MC. That quick spin turned into about 250 miles. :cruising: I had forgotten how uncomfortable the seat is on longer rides. My back and hips weren used to that but I don't even care. I'm really happy with how the bike feels now after some suspension adjustments and the upgraded brakes. Felt good to take a mildly aggressive ride today.

I have some vortex rearsets coming tomorrow and I'll install them, the rear brake line, and res delete all at once.

Reactions: Sskvara1
#29 ·
The complete set is 150$-ish from core moto. They are really good to work with. I actually ordered the wrong items and they hooked me up quickly. That's why I have the rear line for sale. I already had the 07 MC laying around cause it was a spare for the track bike. Just need a bottle of brake fluid after that and you're good to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.