Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Do the Right Thing

1K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  TheX 
#1 ·
Whats up fellow enthusiasts? New to the forum and in desperate need of some sound advise.

Here-in lies my dilemma…
So I had a opportunity to recently bid on a 2013 600RR on an online auction. Very little info on these types of bikes as you all may know except a few pics. No mileage posted, salvaged title and did not run to my knowledge. Being a former bike mechanic who needed a new project I rolled the dice and won because I probably bid too much on a huge hunk of crap. Not only that but I also had to have the bike shipped from TX to GA where I live. Needless to say, my wife was pissed!

Anyway, I had very low expectations except the fact that I could most likely get it to run and make it look decent if I threw more money at it. Upon arrival my expectations lifted a little (mostly because a new bike was at my door), and it didn’t look like oil or other fluids were dripping out of the thing onto my driveway. As usual the first thing I go for is the key to turn the bid on to see if there is any battery juice and of course there is no ignition to be found (there were keys though, oddly enough)! I then come to the realization that this must have been a stolen bike recovered and sent to the yard as the gas cap and passenger seat appeared to be drilled out to gain access to these areas as well.

Upon some further snooping I found a sneaky little switch inside the front fairing that appeared to be attached to the ignition coil….”AHA” I yelled, and hooked the poor little bike to the battery tender to see if I could summon some life out of her. While it was charging I began to clean off the dirt and dust and noticed that this bike was actually in pretty awesome condition. Apart from the obvious (gashed plastics, broken front brake lever, no left mirror, no left rear set, aftermarket clip ons poorly installed with ugly grips)…this thing was cleaning up very nicely! Rims were pristine, front end the same, swing arm in perfect condition, not a scratch on the headlights i mean, other than a few cosmetics this was starting to look like a pretty hot chick in a bad dress.

I left it on the tender overnight. The next morning I came out and before I headed out for work I walked over to the bike and pushed that sneaky little switch hidden inside the front fairing and BINGO! The gauges lit up like a Christmas tree! With renewed pep in my step I went to work and when I came home I gave her a oil change and a new filter and after coughing a couple of times the durn thing started right up!
Turned out the 2013 600RR only has 2500 miles on it, bone stock! Hell, it still has the paint marks on most the bolts from the factory. Pretty sure the only reason why this was totaled was when “Whoever” was stealing it and trying to remove the ignition they chipped the front part of the frame that the ignition sits on!

So my dilemma is….
Should I spend the money on fixing her up (new bodywork, rear sets, levers, mirrors, gas cap, seat lock, grips, etc.)to sell, or do I part her out, where everything underneath is damn near new? What would you guys do???

See less See more
#4 ·
I personally would make that b!tch my track bike. You got it for cheap, low miles, no issues, and most of what you'd change for a track bike you have to change anyway.

But if that's not what you're into then the decision is yours not ours. Do you want a Project bike, to clean up and ride around, and if ever sold, would sell for proabbly what you paid for it being it's a salvage title?

Or do you want to just make a few bucks on it and tear it apart?

In anycase, if you choose the later, please PM me with a price on the wheels =)

#7 ·
make her into a track bike!

#14 ·
Part it, make profit, buys something for the wife, and use the rest of the money for next project.

The list is now complete. She'll be happy and so will you. The cycle continues.

That's a whole lot of fixing, man hours, money, and time to be spent before you can actually sell it. Go for it if the profit is well deserving and you enjoy what you're doing.

#13 ·
My bike has a salvage title. I'm making it road worthy, doesn't deserve to be parted out. Do what you want man, but I'd fix and ride the damn thing.

#17 ·
for everyone who is saying "just part it out"

i'd be curious if any of these people has actually parted out a bike?

parting is probably the biggest headache you'll ever deal with. you have to disassemble the whole thing, photograph and post ads for all the parts, deal with a relentless onslaught of cheap assholes who want to buy a footpeg but not the whole rearset and want you to split up EVERYTHING and sell it to them for nothing, then they want shipping quotes and will bother you every day until they get it

now do this for 50 or 60 transactions

and chances are you won't even be able to sell half of it because nobody is going to buy half the stock junk on the bike that never breaks.

you'll deeply regret trying to part this thing out. all you'll end up with is a partially picked over bike and a newfound disgust for most forum and ebay users.

just fix it and ride the tits off it.

#18 ·
That right there cant be put in better words. If you dont want the bike atleast put it together so its presentable and sell it someone else will buy it and make it into a track bike or will get it registered on the street. If u got a good deal u can even sell it as is since now you know its a working bike.. but dont part it. I have parts sitting for over 2 years that are listed for like $30 plus shipping and i get offers of 30 shipped when shipping alone is $35 lol so basically im selling and losing money to make someone happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.