Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Am i getting a good deal?

2K views 37 replies 11 participants last post by  Soponcio Virtual 
#1 ·
Hey guys, wanted to get some opinions. I'm going to look at a bike tomorrow, it will be my 3rd bike I've owned if I get it. I've owned a cbr 600 f4 and a cbr600 f4i and now I am going to look at an 03 cbr600rr. The bike is in amazing condition for its age, the bike has been maintained and taken care of very well. not a scratch on the bike or any problems. It has 24xxx miles. which isn't bad for a well maintained bike. As far as mods, it has a Jardine RT1 slip on exhaust, Power commander, GPR steering stabilizer, K&N air filter, carbon fiber front fender and bar ends, swing arm spools, DID gold chain, Renthal sprockets, Renthal grips, and zero gravity tinted wind screen. also has brand new Dunlop front tire and new brake pads. The guy is firm at 3000$. original was asking 3300. Would I be getting a good deal at 3k? Thanks in advance

#4 ·
Bike is worth what a buyer is willing to pay for it. Actually, better advice would be to compare different 600RR's for sale in your specific location and area. Compare the condition, pricing, year, mileage, etc. Then you'll have a better idea for the '03 that you're looking at currently.

#8 ·
My location is South East Ohio. Not a whole lot of 600rr for sale in my area. Most that i find are a few years newer with similar mileage, less upgrades and not as good conditon. They are all listed for 3500 to 4500 range depending on mileage. Any other 600rr that I found in my area for about 3000$ have either been downed and not fixed, have salvage title or have really high miles. Seems to be a good deal for my area, just wanted some input from more experienced guys than me before I sealed the deal. Unfortunately we had to delay our meeting because we had a snow storm tonight and I don't feel safe hauling a trailer on treacherous roads, and also won't be able to test ride. In a few days when the roads are clear I am going to test ride and look at the bike, and will most likely be buying it unless I don't like how it feels. But from my experience with f4 and f4i, I loved riding them and everyone says the rr is better in pretty much every aspect, and very rider friendly. I think I will feel quite comfortable on the bike. It's the cleanest 03 cbr I've seen for sale in 3 months of looking for one. I'll let you guys know how my test ride goes and post pictures if I decide to get it. Thanks for the advice

#9 ·
I'd meet somewhere and have it checked out. Pictures can be VERY deceiving if that's all you have to by and a $300 eBay bodywork kit can make a trashed bike look brand new to someone who doesn't know what they are looking for. Make sure the tires, chain, sprockets, brakes, battery, etc. are all ready to go or your $3k bike needs $1500 to make road worthy and not such a deal at $4500.

If it's as clean as you describe, it's a solid price.

#10 ·
Here's a picture I'll post some more its only letting me add one picture per post for some reason. But I'm taking a buddy with me who's worked on a rode bikes for 15 years and I have a good idea of what to look for and we are goin to meticulously look over the bike and both test ride it and let it run for a good while to make sure there's no smoke, over heating or engine noise after its been running for a long time. Let me know what you guys think of the pictures and if you see anything wrong. Thanks

Attachments

#14 ·
I'd have to second most of whats been said. It worth what you're willing to pay, and from my recent research 3-4 is the low average regardless of age and such, its just the price point. Buy her if it checks out and you want it. The longer you ponder, the higher the chance others will be willing to spend that, and more as the season approaches. Also the pictures are kinda small so hard to see what needs to be seen (engine area, not just the cases...). With that being said, it "looks clean" and worth the 3 IMO. Had an 05 and loved her, Damn deer....

#16 ·
Sorry about the small pics. When I posted them my phone said it had to resize the pictures were too large. I wanted to go after the bike today but I had to borrow a truck and rent a trailer from uhaul and didn't feel safe driving on the bad roads. Also the main reason was that I couldn't test ride the bike on the snowy roads. The guy works and goes to college so he doesn't have much available time. He says he's holding the bike until I can make it because he's had to deal with some dumb buyers that jerked him around alot and he knows I'm serious so will hold the bike until we're both not working again. Tuesday morning is the next time we are both available to meet and by then it will be cold but the roads will be clear enough for a short (very cold) test ride. Unfortunately the bikes gonna sit in storage for atleast a month before it's even close to being riding weather. But oh well I'd rather get a good deal now and it sit in storage and I'll be ready when it warms up, rather than spend an extra 500 or 1000 for a similar bike in may. Off topic but my new helmet came in the mail today, it's a CKX I like it alot it fits good and comfortable. The bike comes with one black helmet but I still bought one so I have 2 and can carry a passenger occasionally. Still have to order a jacket gloves and pants I sold my gear last year when I sold my f4i. You guys recommend any jackets gloves or pants that are affordable but still very protective?

Attachments

#18 ·
Seems like a clean bike but Ask the seller when was the last time valve check/adjustment was done, and make sure you or your buddy check on the valve head/cover for some silicone rtv. If its there than its at least been checked (usually on the right side - throttle side). Even if it hasn't been done I still think its a good deal, just make sure you get it done asap. Sure at the end you might be paying $3500 or so but at least you dont have to drop it all at once

Its a bit of time consuming though but if I'm bout to drop 3Gs+ than Id make sure Ill put my effort into it. Goodluck though.

#20 ·
$3k makes me very envious compared to the decision and direction I went with. Wise on you. Hope the bike checks out for you and your friend. Keep us posted, please.

#21 · (Edited)
Well I went this evening to check out the bike with my buddy, we let the bike run for about 45 minutes and it sounded great and didn't over heat or make any noise. The jardine rt1 exhaust sounds great. The owner has receipts from having the oil changed and the valves checked and adjusted at 22,500 miles. Bike has 24,800 now. The bike is just as clean as it is in the pictures. The bike ran great and looked great. I wasn't able to test ride it due to snowy roads, but I did a deposit for him to hold the bike until next weekend when it will be 60 degrees and I can ride it. I'm sure I will love how it rides as I've loved every cbr I've rode, but I just want to make sure there's no issues when it's going down the road before I drop 2900$. Also I got him down to 2900 so I know I'm getting and great deal now. I can't wait to ride the bike and bring her home next weekend. It's going to be a long week haha. Thanks everyone for the advice and I will be posting pictures once I get her home next Saturday. I'm really excited about getting an RR just sitting on it I think it felt alot more comfortable and just better than my F4I. I cannot wait for riding season. Thanks guys

#22 ·
The only thing I can see on the bike is that those fairings are probably Chinese ABS fairings... It's not that they won't do the job but they do decrease the bike's price

(OEM set of fairing are better and can cost +1500 USD, chinese you get them for 1/3 of that price)

Normally people change their fairings due to dropping the bike, some change it just because of styling, it would be good to check what was the excuse this time.

(I might be wrong due to the pics being small, but the decals do look "not original")

#24 ·
I asked about the fairings. The guy he bought it from supposedly changed them from an 05 just for the looks. I can't tell if they are OEM from an 05 or aftermarket. Couldn't find any signs of it being laid down. Doesn't mean it hasn't been but we couldn't find anything to make us think that it has. And we had set a day and time, Saturday morning, we both agreed the roads were too bad to meet. We met the next day and I gave a deposit and got the title and going back in a few days to get the bike. Don't see how that takes that much patience

#25 ·
I'm almost 100% those are aftermarket black Tribal fairings, not the OEM black tribal from 05RR's.

If you look closely, a factory 05 black tribal has black lowers. Also the 03/04 front air intakes are different from 05/06. If you compare the pics from the owner to a factory 05 tribal, they are different.

Might not be a big deal as long as the bike is in good condition overall. $3k is a good price. Good luck and keep us posted

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.