Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Back on 2 wheels

2K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  YG27 
#1 ·
Went and picked up an 08 CBR1000RR today. I must say loads of power, I enjoy it. It has a lot of cleaning up to do though, I should've inspected it better instead of just give it a ride and say ok I'm cool.. lol

So here's a list of the bad

Fork Seals Leaking
Needs new passenger seat because it's broken on the aft end so doesn't technically close, even though it locks.
Brakes are absolutely terrible
Tires are crap
Chain has surface corrosion, but it's not unsaveable, will change out soon.
Right rear blinker isn't functioning
Suspension definitely needs to be adjusted will be tuning it myself as soon as fork seals are done.

So I'm getting the seals taken care of beginning of next week, new seat is on order.

To take care of brakes I ordered:
Brembo RCS19 MC
Hel Steel Braided Lines
Brembo SC Brake Pads
Motul for hydraulics

In addition to that I'm changing the levers to light tech low drag levers, also ordered light tech rearsets, I love their products if you can't tell yet.
I'm going to be changing tires to Bridgestone RS10s

The saddest part of my day is rolling into my friends driveway at night, expecting to be able to stop like I did with my 600rr. I wasn't shedding any speed (Its a very long driveway) So I squeezed a bit harder, locked the front end on a nice patch of gravel in the road and laid it down.. On my first damn day I feel like I'm starting all over learning and I was just a straight idiot and know better than that. BUT thats exactly how bad the brakes currently are, I feel like the rear brake is doing better than the front currently. Cracked a mirror, bent the oem rear brake pedal, scuffed the fmf exhaust, and took a bit of paint off the clutch case

All in all I knew I was picking up something that was going to be a project but at least I know where I stand and what needs improving to get it to where I want it to be as far as handling and braking and body position.

See less See more
#7 ·
When parts start rolling in I'll make a new thread for the build. As of today I went ahead and made sure the calipers weren't leaking either and gave them a good cleaning, then confirmed my suspicion that the forks were leakings, its not a bad leak, but enough that it bothers me. Made adjustments to the suspension that improved front end dive under braking. The tires give me no inspiration still though and as of now it feels more of a chore to ride it compared to the 600. Will be continuing to adjust suspension once the new fork seals are in, hopefully once i get my RS10s on and my brakes set up I get more feel out of the front. Once the rearsets get here I should be able to put myself into a proper riding position which should help with comfort on turn in. Probably going to drop the forks 5 or 10mm to aid the turn in from its sluggish feeling. Previous owner had the front tire at 20psi and the rear at 25, not to mention the rear is a 190/50 instead of a 190/55. will up pressures to 28 front and 30 rear, I'm sure changing to a 190/55 will aid handling as well due to the more rounded profile.

#8 ·
Congrats on the new ride. I thought I wanted a 1k but I need a good bit of time on the 600, bike still scares me a bit

#10 ·
Doesn't make a difference for me where the exhaust is. Doesn't limit my ability or put a strain on my mind thinking about it. My biggest concern currently is grip, which I currently am in disapproval of. Previous owner had a continental on the rear and I think a shinko or something up front. Both of which are supremely disappointing so I haven't even begun trying to push it. I am in need of my Bridgestone RS10s before I consider how well I can push it, along with getting my forks taken care of.

#11 ·
Hnnnnnnng can't wait for all this to arrive. Pictures will be coming upon arrivals

AGV Corsa Misano 2014 Helmet
(Select Size: Medium Large)

Bazzaz Honda CBR1000RR 08-16 Z-Bomb Timing Retard Calibrator

Bridgestone Battlax RS10 Racing Street Hypersport/Trackday Front Tire
(Select Tire Size: 120/70ZR-17)

Bridgestone Battlax RS10 Racing Street Hypersport/Trackday Rear Tire
(Select Tire Size: 190/55ZR-17)

Dainese Street Biker Air Riding Shoes
(Select Color: Coal/Red, Select Size: 41 Euro)

Driven Sprocket Nuts
(Select Color: Red)

HealTech Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade 08-16 Exhaust Servo Eliminator

HealTech Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade 2008 SpeedoHealer V4

Lightech Adapter For Lever Guard Honda CBR1000RR 00-16

Lightech Chain Adjusters Honda CBR1000RR 08-16
(Select Color: Black)

Lightech Lever Guards
(Select Color: Silver, Select Side: Right Lever Guard)

Motion Pro Honda CBR1000RR 04-16 Nylon Throttle Sleeve

Moto-D Angled Motorcycle Valve Stems

Renthal Dual Compound Grips

Shorai LFX Battery Honda CBR1000RR 08-16
(Select Battery: Standard)

TechSpec Honda CBR1000RR Repsol Edition Tank Grip
(Select Style: Snake Skin Tank Grip)

Vortex Honda CBR1000RR 06-16 V3 Chain and Sprocket Kit

Woodcraft 1.5 Inch Riser Clip-Ons
(Select Size: 50mm, Select Bar Type: Standard, Select Bar Color: Black)

Yoshimura Honda CBR1000RR 08-11 R-77 Stainless Full Exhaust
(Select Canister: Titanium CF Tip)

Zero Gravity Honda CBR1000RR 08-11 Double Bubble Windscreen

Shipping: $0.00 USD
Grand Total: $3,884.46 USD

Brembo RCS Master Cylinder 19cm

LighTech Brakelight Switch M10 x 1.25mm

Brembo - SC Racing Sintered Pads (front) - Honda

LighTech Honda CBR1000RR + ABS 08-14

Adjustable Rearsets Fixed Footrest

HEL Brake Line Kit Honda CB1000R 08-15 Full

Length Race FRONT Banjo: Red/Line: Black

LighTech Honda

CBR1000RR/CBR600RR/F/Hornet Fold Up Clutch

Lever J Blade

LighTech Mirror Block Off Plates Honda

CBR1000RR 2008> Black

#13 ·
The only things I could be wanting after this is all said and done are some Marchesini wheels, Braketech CMC rotors, Brembo calipers, Ohlins front and rear suspension, and hell Magneti Marelli superbike set up but thats 12k lmao. So worth it if I were going to go that far though.

#16 ·
No pics of the Windscreen or Lever Guard because I installed them already lol.

Awaiting the following

AGV Corsa 2014 Misano LE Helmet
Dainese Street Biker Air Shoes
Yoshimura Full Exhaust Titanium with CF Tip
Vortex Chain and Sprockets, went with Stock teeth sizes.
Woodcraft Clipons with Renthal Grips and a new throttle tube. - Won't be installed right away most there for that oh **** moment that's inevitable on the track.
Healtech Speedo Healer
Healtech Servo Eliminator
Moto-D Angled Valvestems
Lightech Chain Adjusters

Still need to order some case protectors. No suspension until I've out grown the stock.

#17 ·
Shoutout to Reactive Parts and SportBikeTrackGear for the massive orders by the way lol.

#18 ·
So I'm actually very bad when it comes to putting pictures together while working on the bike and this was literally the only picture I took. I'll have to take pictures of it when I give it a fresh bath. From here I won't be doing anything else until I start getting serious on the track, then it'll be suspension, wheels, track fairings, brake rotors.

#20 ·

#21 ·
The new helmet

#22 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.