Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

2016 cbr600rr: Why the lack of colors?

10K views 43 replies 19 participants last post by  Ruby Racing 
#1 ·
Does anyone know why Honda only has one color scheme on its website for the new 2016 600rr? Is black/white the only color you can get?

#6 ·
HAHAHA Thats true. But yea, they probobly are cutting costs. I bought a new one and got a new red 2013 for thousands less than a 2016 at the dealer. Sooooo, if they still have 2013s laying around, sales are probably not doing as well as they want.... Still awesome bikes though.

#7 ·
The CBR600RR is being discontinued due to falling sales. For example in the UK last year Yamaha only 100 R6's.

Also in Europe new Euro 4 emissions regulations come into effect (next year I think), which means manufacturers need to make big changes to their bikes to comply.

If they aren't selling many of a particular model then why spend shedloads on making a model comply when they won't get their money back.

#8 ·
#9 ·
There are still left over 2014's and 15's in 600cc & 750cc GSX-R's and CBR600RR's at dealerships right now. I was told by my local dealership that the only 600 with decent sales over the past few years in my area at least is the R6. I got my new 2014 CBR in January 2016 for $8500 plus fees. I paid more in 2005 for a brand new R6 by about $300.

I do feel like there will be a resurgence of sport bikes at some point though. Maybe if they spent more money on advertising and televised more races people would get more interested. The economy doesn't help either.

#11 ·
The 600RR isn't going anywhere. Honda has been working on the new Fireblade and probably a new 600RR for the following year or two after. 600s are extremely popular track bikes. It's an old and very basic bike when compared to the rest of the competition, so expect a revamped 600RR that will meet new regulations and actually be a "current" bike as far as tech goes.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#12 ·
The increase of sales of naked bikes and adventure bikes as older riders move over isn't helping. Then there is a drop in younger riders getting into bikes.

Top line litre sports bikes are doing OK. I have a theory that before the advent of traction control and all the other electronic safety nets riders bought 600's because a 1,000 was too much for them. Now they can have a 1,000 because it holds their hand. So they don't bother with a 600. Just my theory based on my own thoughts, so feel free to shoot me down.

#15 ·
The drop in younger riders getting into bikes has been widely reported in the UK motorcycle press, so I'm just repeating what I've read. Maybe the situation is different over the pond? As I mentioned, the older riders are moving away from uncomfortable sports bikes and moving to nakeds and adventure bikes. That is a fact over here.

My theory about rider aids wasn't connected with younger riders. In fact quite the opposite, as a top line 1,000cc sports bike costs a significant amount of money, it's mostly mature riders who buy them. Mature and sensible(ish!), hence why I suggest my theory that these sensible riders used to buy 600's because they felt a 1,000 was too much to handle. But now the electronics have tamed them, they are more confident to ride them.

Whatever the reason, sales of 600 sports bikes have been in rapid decline and the discontinuation of the CBR600RR has been reported in more than one UK bike publication. As I mentioned, it's a fact that only 100 R6's were sold in the UK last year. Also Yamaha haven't changed the latest R6 bike since it was introduced. And that's about 5 or 6 years I think. That's a long time in the bike production world.

Certainly the economy will have an effect on bike sales I agree. But litre bike sales are doing pretty well.

#23 ·
Won't be surprised. I haven't heard anything here at AHM but I bet the 600 category will slowly fade away. The Euro 4 thing might be that catalyst. Trust me when I say that no company wants these 600's this expensive and probably won't keep em around much longer. What was the last 600cc update? The 636 in 2012?

#24 ·
Of all the things lacking on the 600RR we start a thread about f'ing colors?!?!? Nothing about power, slippers, less weight etc just color.....
As for no more 600's, that's laughable. I'm betting left over articles from april 1st?

Reactions: tary preisser
#25 ·
I'm curious, how many CBR600's do you think are sold in the US every year?

I'll bet you guys think there are far more sold than there really are.

It sucks, but yeah, the sales numbers for high-end sportbikes (600-1000cc sport bikes) are extremely low. I've been wondering how long we can continue to have expensive bikes very few people buy while the market shifts away from sport and sport touring to adventure and naked.

#26 ·
Who cares about just the US market? We are not the only ones on the planet riding sportbikes. If they've already developed the product for international use, its doesn't cost much to bring extras to the american market.

#27 ·
We care about the US Market. Because, well, we're part of it.

And to be honest, with full on sport bikes, we're one of the biggest countries purchasing them outside of parts of Europe. The reason we don't see it because sales are that bad, it doesn't warrant bringing in and trying to sell different colors when 13/14/15's are still sitting in dealers unsold.

Another reason you should worry about the US market is because the topic is about "why we don't have any color choices". The color choices we are talking about are for the US market. Go to Honda Europe's website and you'll see they have 3 color choices, but no new colors.

CBR600RR Specifications | Sports Motorcycles | Honda UK

Catch my drift?

#34 ·
The only evidence you need is by logging into any of these sport bike forums and looking out on the streets. Compare it now to 10 years ago lol. This place was poppin 24/7. And the streets were flooded with race replicas. Between new 600s costing 12+ brand new, insurance costing an ass cheek, and the endless other bikes that are way more practical (and at this point just as badass and fun to ride), I'm going to have to agree with the ppl that are wondering how these things made it this far.

#40 ·
I love the engine of the FZ09 but the suspension was not only "soft" but also way too underdamped. After fixing the throttle response, the bike became much more rideable.

I'd be more interested in the bike with a few g's put into some quality suspension... and lower bars.

#42 ·
I like the stock riding position (with my SHAD seat) but am thinking about trying some slightly lower bars. I just don't want to lose the comfort.

Lots of options out there, though... I'm sure I'll find something that works. Currently have my eye on Hurricane Fat bars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.