Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

The 600RR is no more as of the end of 2016?

10K views 90 replies 36 participants last post by  Miweber929 
#1 ·
#6 ·
Although this is "just for Europe" this does affect the entire world market for these bikes. If you read the article you will see that Honda asks each region to finance new bike development for them. That's different with other manufacturers that operate on a global scale. If the European market and Asian market refuse to finance the change due to it being unjustifiable, than the North American market will most definitely suffer. Not enough educated riders out there pushing for this industry to thrive. Everyone wants the best, fastest, and cleanest but at the lowest price.

If this is truly the case, this is our thought.

Other regions will refuse to finance new bike development due to emissions laws which leaves the North American market at a stand still as we don't need a re-defined bike due to any laws. We would all LIKE a redesigned bike but wants and needs are two totally different things.

This will cause Honda to either A. restructure their process and stop relying on regions financing OR B. Cease production of 600RRs as demand will diminish and sales will plummet. New bike will be announced but nothing will ever replace the 600RR.

Let's all hope for the best and do our good juju dances that we don't get the short end of the stick here!

#8 ·
It dosnt help them that they've been selling the same bike for 10 years. when there's much better options out there for the same price, used and new. At this point you're buying a Honda because you want a honda, not because it's the best choice.

If there's no re-design in the very near future, i wouldnt be surprised if they dropped the model completely.

#9 ·
".....the fact is this model isn’t selling in the numbers needed to make it viable for another model to be developed...."

Well, what in the world would you expect... Bike is pretty much the same since 07 and the price is almost double first time it came out. Forget that, I'd rather face lift my bike.

#10 ·
In all honesty, with the exception of Kawi and Triumph, all the 600's are almost unchanged. Suzuki, Honda and Yamaha all have bikes that haven't changed in 6-9 years at all.

The market as a whole is a very weak market now. I've been into 1000's and love them, but I prefer 600's overall for their handling. The rest of the market does not share this sentiment and wants the biggest, badass new sportbike or something completely different.

I personally would love a 600 supersport naked, tuned for top end rush like the R6. But I don't think many others want that.

#11 · (Edited)
CBR750RR would sell, amirite?

Also, does this mean my 2003 is now a collectors item? lols

Its Marquez's fault - Dani Pedrosa

#13 ·
3 Cylinder CBR850RR
4 V/I Cylinder CBR750RR-900RR
5 Cylinder CBR500RR

ALL OF THE WANT. PLEASE JUST MAKE IT I WILL BUY ALL OF THEM.

Problem is exotic designs cost money and I don't think the sales will justify. But damn I'd love a middleweight.

#18 ·
End of 600RR era

I am not surprised by this possibility as the rumour's have been around for a while now. Having said that I am very sad to see it die off. I think they let it stagnate for too long so of course sales will drop off if you don't develop and improve it. I don't understand Honda when they say they would rather put money into developing a new 1000. I simply don't know why people want litre bikes with 185+ horsepower for the street? Lets face it no one "needs" that much power...lol. With Insurance rates here in Canada, Ontario at least, it just makes sense to me to stay with smaller displacement sport bikes. But I was quite happy with my 60hp VFR400 for a while so what do I know...lol

I'm keeping my 06'RR for as long as I can that I know for sure !!!

#19 ·
Soooooo many riders in America obsess over numbers. It's hard to quantify a 'feeling', being well balanced, but a big HP number is something everyone can understand.

But of course, if any of you are into cars or have been following general vehicle news for many years and read reviews, you can remember cars and bikes that existed that were difficult to control or had power that wasn't useable. They were sort of miserable, and in fact it is balance and application that are the real high water marks of a fine machine, but it's just not as sexy as BIG HP and electronics. I'm not down on those things, but the reason why I'm generally a Honda guy, is that they usually prioritize the total cohesion of the car or bike over building up a bullet point list of stuff.

I bought my first 600, a 2005 600RR because the consensus of reviews were that the Honda was built robust, well balanced without a particular weakness, and *easy to ride fast*. All things I value over peak HP numbers or a slipper clutch.

When/if my 600RR track bike eats it, I think a Fireblade is next on the list (or cheapo S1000RR or RSV4.)

#22 ·
Too sad!

Hope spare parts remain as readily available as they are now.

Also, Does this affect Moto2 engines? I believe Honda has renewed their contract for the next two years...

Maybe they have those engines already built??

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#32 ·
Ahhh Im dubious. I can see it slipping away for a few years but coming back in with a bang. They'll lay low for a while then work up plans for tasty improvements and re-release the model when the market improves alittle. Also the cost of meeting these new environmental regs will drop over time. The news almost sounds like a marketing ploy to me...

#34 ·
Ive never had a bike with ABS or traction control or many of the other electronics that you see on bikes now. IDK why the demand is so high to have these on all the 1000's and 600's. It drives up production cost and MSRP a lot. If you follow the fundamentals of riding you should not need further electronic assistance to keep you out of bad situations.

#37 ·
people always do want the latest tech, but at the same time its not always needed. The kind of tech I do like is the move from carbs to FI, that was not a saftey thing that pushed the industry forward as far as power / efficiently

#38 ·
I remember when a CBR600F2 had almost 100hp at the crank and could lean 45 degrees.

That wasn't needed either, but people wanted it. People always want more performance.

We're riding race replica bikes that look like overstyled Nike shoes. We don't really "need" anything. I could make the argument if there's one thing on everyone's list that should push manufacturer's to develop and put money into, it's safe guards. Whether or not ABS and traction control save lives is not really the question. Who knows if guys are pushing harder than they would without them, but the fact remains the bike itself is more composed and will save your bacon in situations where your right hand probably couldn't.

I don't buy those bikes, I don't have the money, but there's a good reason why the rest of the people in this market do.

#41 ·
So...Honda came out with the CBR500R and a CBR650F that didn't required much R&D for development. :retard:What makes those sell more than the 600RR? Makes no sense to me. It's similar situation to stopping their flagship NSX production in the mid 90's and then out of nowhere stacked up a plethora of money to start the new generation NSX again.

What would happen to this site if 600RR really did stop the production? I myself with either go with R6 or 1000RR. I prefer riding the Honda since I already have a handful of knowledge base on their machine.

#42 ·
So...Honda came out with the CBR500R and a CBR650F that didn't required much R&D for development. :retard:What makes those sell more than the 600RR? Makes no sense to me. It's similar situation to stopping their flagship NSX production in the mid 90's and then out of nowhere stacked up a plethora of money to start the new generation NSX again.

What would happen to this site if 600RR really did stop the production? I myself with either go with R6 or 1000RR. I prefer riding the Honda since I already have a handful of knowledge base on their machine.
I just got a CB500F and it's a keeper compared to the 600RR for a few reasons:
- I don't have to go at crazy speeds to have fun, let's face it, the 600RR is boring when you're doing the "Speed limit".
- I can spend the entire day on the 500F and not be in pain due to the riding position.
- Paying $1,300 a year to put a license plate on a supersport is just not worth it to me anymore.

That's just to name a FEW reasons why these bikes won't sell.

We have a race replica bike that most people will exploit just a FRACTION of what the bike is actually capable of, hence why bother getting it, when other bikes will provide the same amount if not more fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.