Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

2006 cbr600rr top speed

13K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  09600Rr@1500 
#1 ·
Hi, recently i had the chance to max out on my cbr600rr. I managed to hit 264kmph. I noticed that on 6th gear it wouldnt go passed 14krpm. Was wondering why it cant red line on 6th or is it because thats just the max it can go? I know its rated 167mph and 264kmph is about 164mph...was hoping to redline 6th...

#3 ·
3mph does not equal a full 1000rpm in 6th gear, so either your tach is off or more likely your speedo is off. Much better idea to do the math and see what speed was based on rpm. Back to your question, alot of things can affect it. Valve clearence, fuel grade, spark plug condition, previous gearing changes etc. How long were you stuck at 264kph? Any type of uphill? Were you tucking completley? Do you weigh alot?

#18 ·
use GPS on phone to see if your speedometer is the same as the GPS on your phone I have been 167 on my 09 and it was like 15,500 in 6th during quarrintine and I had miles of highway all to myself and my warranty on motor and transmission needed to make sure it was able to make wot runs best 1500 bucks I have ever spent

#5 ·
IIRC, the ECU throttle restriction didn't start until the 09+

You're riding a 10 year old bike, and without mentioning how many miles/kilometers it's done that's not too bad.

Things to check:

Fuel & oil quality, Clogged air filter, worn spark plugs, partly clogged fuel filter/aging fuel pump/fuel injectors causing slight fuel starvation, throttle freeplay (make sure full throttle fully opens the throttle bodies), any brake rub, properly lubricated axles eliminating excessive friction, even an increased tire weight could slow it down...more serious things would be out of spec valve clearances, burnt valves or other issues there, and last but not least compression loss.

#6 ·
Looking to build a stunt bike...any suggestions?

Currently looking at cbr f4i. Any suggestions on what bike is best? I'll obviously be changing the sprockets on it, adding stunt cage...possibly hand rear brake...no sure what else i need to get started or what bike is good to start with? Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated thanks in advance.

#7 ·
Oops, sorry didnt mean to post that here. And I have 30000 km on the bike...my rear tire is complete garbage, getting a new one soon. I have a stunt cage on it which would weigh it down quite a bit. I have full akra exhaust, k&n air filter, 50mm velocity stacks. Bike is not tuned yet. The vavales do open fully at the throttle body, have new oil in it. Its stock gearing. My spark plugs are good but im replacing them with irdium plugs, the valves have not been checked (will be doing it soon). I also found that the chain was way too loose so i cleaned and lubed it and adjusted it accordingly. Its pulling better now..i have no had a chance to see if its made a difference because my rear is still ****. But hopefully next season I could get a little more out of it. I realize that there is a lot of factors that could prevent my speed, but thought that it was possibly to hit red line on 6th...i guess not?

#8 ·
I routinely hit 238 KPH on a 2006 with an ACCURATE speedometer. It's been re-calibrated to radar and is EXACT. This is with 40K on the bike and valve clearances done, injectors cleaned, ad infinitum. It really is as new.

However, this is with -1 & +2 on the rear. It gets there very quickly and there is no extra time required to reach that speed. You can get there any time you like and then drop right back to 'normal' speed with no issue.

I recently installed the 16 / -2 and the tried for a top speed run and it took some time. More time then I wanted to sit there and watch the numbers climb. I really wanted to set a new record on the bike but I gave up. It took too long. I much more appreciate quick fast runs to 238 that take no time compared to reading a book waiting for the final result.

But again, that number is accurate. It's not a guess, it's not an approximation - it's a real number that is consistent. I suspect with a downhill slope I might achieve an accurate 240 KPH but all I know is that I can hit 238 all day long.

#11 ·
Hi, recently i had the chance to max out on my cbr600rr. I managed to hit 264kmph. I noticed that on 6th gear it wouldnt go passed 14krpm. Was wondering why it cant red line on 6th or is it because thats just the max it can go? I know its rated 167mph and 264kmph is about 164mph...was hoping to redline 6th...
I routinely hit 238 KPH on a 2006 with an ACCURATE speedometer. It's been re-calibrated to radar and is EXACT. This is with 40K on the bike and valve clearances done, injectors cleaned, ad infinitum. It really is as new.

However, this is with -1 & +2 on the rear. It gets there very quickly and there is no extra time required to reach that speed. You can get there any time you like and then drop right back to 'normal' speed with no issue.

I recently installed the 16 / -2 and the tried for a top speed run and it took some time. More time then I wanted to sit there and watch the numbers climb. I really wanted to set a new record on the bike but I gave up. It took too long. I much more appreciate quick fast runs to 238 that take no time compared to reading a book waiting for the final result.

But again, that number is accurate. It's not a guess, it's not an approximation - it's a real number that is consistent. I suspect with a downhill slope I might achieve an accurate 240 KPH but all I know is that I can hit 238 all day long.

Hmm I see...I may have to get a gps at least to get a more accurate speed. But i need to get all that I mentioned to 100% or close to it before I try again...good to know though. Thanks

#16 ·
except your speedo healer is still dependent on countershaft speed, and cannot adjust for swell of the rear tire, deflection of the rear tire, slip of the rear tire, or changes in tire circumference as a function of wear.

all these things add error that is more pronounced with higher speeds.

secondly, how are you calibrating your speedo? against gps? ask a friendly cop? what speed are you going during the calibration?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.