Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Stolen bike now recovered

3K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Soponcio Virtual 
#1 ·
Hello forum,

I currently own a 2013 cbr600rr Red which was stolen back in June and was recently recovered, I know I'm the luckiest guy. The bike was returned fairly in descent shape, the thief dropped it and broke/scratched the entire left side of the bike as well as destroyed all three locks. I was able to remove the ignition assembly and the jammed cowl lock. The thief had also installed a bypass switch on the bike. I was able to ride the bike home using the bypass switch but when I shut the bike off not sure if something shorted because now I have a dead bike. I checked all of the fuse in the bike and all are good.

Today after work I removed the ignition assembly and cowl lock and messed a bit with the bypass switch to try and turn it on but had no luck. I see the battery is supplying juice because the clock still functions on the dashboard. I'm wondering if the engine relay switch went bad or maybe you guys can give me a tip on what to check. Please try and help me answer the questions below.

1. Where can I buy the OEM lock set for a fairly price?
2. Where can I buy good Chinese fairings?
3. Since the bypass switch is not working anymore, do I need to replace the engine relay switch? or what should I check next?
4. The hole where the ignition switch locks the bike was broken, does it needs to be welded or will the steering wheel lock even though half of it is missing?

Please refer to the pictures below and thank you in advance.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
1. eBay, about your only option. I hope others can confirm, but I imagine 2007-2016 CBR 600 RR ignitions will fit. Don't take that as a guarantee it's just a guess.
2. Auctmarts seems to be doing well for these year CBR's. Read reviews on the forums here.
3. A bypass was installed by a theif. What a surprise, it stopped working. CHECK THE MAIN FUSE.
4. Do you mean the steering lock is broken? That is going to be expensive to fix.

#6 ·
I have no idea how you think your lucky for getting a stolen bike back unless you had no insurance? Once its gone I never want to see a stolen vehicle back myself. As for the lock set, just go to the dealer and get it over with. They aren't absurd money from what I remember.

#8 ·
I was able to work on the bike, there was not structural damage on it. Damages to the bike was cosmetic, and yes I'm lucky to have it back. I only need to buy two things for it, (1) lock set and (2) fairings. I had insurance on it but turned out that the insurance company didn't want to pay for it because I happened to mistakenly register it under my name instead of the lean holder (bank) so they took that for not to pay me.

Which site do you guys recommend to buy really good fairings?

#18 ·
No insurance... Yep, you are lucky!!

As some said before, if the price difference between a whole chinese fairing kit is just a little lower compared to the OEM bits you found, then stick to OEM... You'll never regret it!! (I did this last time I had to fix stuff, I only installed one non-OE part, and up to this day, that is the only thing that broke...live to learn..)

As far a recovering a stolen bike being positive or not... Totally positive... I would be hesitant if it was a car or truck, being a bike, I'm sure nobody used it to have sexy time on the rear seat (not confy at all on an RR) or taking a dump in the trunk... A turd wouldn't fit in there!

Maybe the thief scratched his butthole and then rode your bike... That's 20 bucks in a new set of grips, that's it...!

Good luck with the rebuild!

#19 ·
I'm just here to say that a turd would most certainly fit in the trunk of an RR. May have to mash it in there a bit but that's what latex gloves are for (so you can cram your poo in odd places yet keep your hands pooless).

Just wanted to point that out. Otherwise, good post :wink2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.