Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Honda Self-Balance Motorcycle Anyone?

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Wngo29 
#1 ·

Keeping a motorcycle upright at high speeds is simple. Mostly you just have to hang on. Yet, when a bike is slowly cruising through a parking lot, in traffic, or at a stop, balance is handled by the rider. That can be difficult on larger, heavier cycles like cruisers. Honda's trying to make bike stability easier with its new Riding Assist technology.

But it's not just showing off a bike that helps a person keep a bike upright. Instead, the motorcycle keeps its balance even without a rider. The researchers even have the bike drive itself without a person. If you're thinking that Honda has outfitted their research bike with gyroscopes you would be mistaken. Instead the company has taken its Uni-Cub mobility research and applied it to a real-world problem.
When the bike transforms from regular riding mode to balance mode, the forks (the metal bars that connect the front wheel to the rest of the motorcycle) extend the front tire away from the rest of the cycle. No word on when the a bike with the Riding Assist technology will actually end up in production, but we're hoping it happens soon for the sake of our side mirrors and grips.

Original Source

This technology isn't new but definitely nice to see it on a motorcycle. Never will I have to buy another fairing again.

See less See more
#2 ·
Ha! That's awesome! I'd be a little uneasy that the front end has the ability to do something all on its own but I guess just like the autonomous mode in the Teslas, with enough time those fears are going to subside.

But this also has an interesting potential: An autonomous moto that comes to pick you up! Unmanned races would also be funky.

#3 ·
It has already begun...

"The researchers even have the bike drive itself without a person."

Soon dragging knees, elbows, or even helmet is a thing of a past.

I do want a feature where I ride too hot into the turn, the bike will be like, "Nope, you're not going to make that turn so I'll just ride straight into the dirt, sit the bike there for you think about what you just did. Stupid humans."

#6 ·
What motor is that? It's an automatic as well. Bike looks smaller 250 maybe 500. I want to see it do that with 2 people on there!!!

#8 ·
700 with one caliper front brake? Just posed some more questions. Can it do a stoppie/wheelie and balance?

#12 · (Edited)
When talking about self driving motorcycle, it reminds me of this video. Ask and you shall receive.

Looking at the actual picture of the self-balancing motorcycle I came to realization that it was probably taken as it's being balanced by itself without using props or photoshop like the rest of the stock photos. :ponder:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.