Stole a new 14, now I need to figure a way to register in CA. - 600RR.net
General Discussion General Honda CBR600RR Motorcycle Talk - please place mods, tech tips and off topic threads in the correct forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stole a new 14, now I need to figure a way to register in CA.

Just got a smokin deal on a new 2014 in Montana, the problem is I live in CA and its not a CA compliant model. After researching, there is a way to register an out of state bike in CA if it has at least 7500 miles. Is it true that the odometer reading stays with the gauge cluster? I'm thinking I can buy a used cluster with 7500+ miles, swap it out with the new one for the registration. Anyone on here or know anyone who has done this? Will any 2012 and older clusters work on a 2013+ bike?

2003 - Red (SOLD)
2014 - Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 03:11 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Keep it reg'd in Montana, ride it in Cali and accum. miles?

(this may take longer than 90 days, particularly ATM.....but if you keep a low profile...... keep orig plates/reg, ride carefully, and reg it in Cali when it hits miles?

LEO's aren't running "Cali compliant" checks...just looking for current registration/license.

DMV s/b np .....?

remember, low profile!

Last edited by tary preisser; 01-06-2017 at 03:40 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tary preisser For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (01-09-2017), mxridercrf450r (01-06-2017)
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 11:02 AM
Knee Dragger

Garage
Apply for a Vermont Non Resident Registration by mail. You fill out your form from Sunny Cali. Sent it to Snowy Vermont. They send you a plate in the mail. Done! In 7500 miles, transfer to your Cali plate! Thats how I used to get around buying vehicles without a title and just a bill of sale. (CT requires a title for vehicles from the early 80's on when you first purchase it) They do a VIN check to make sure it isnt stolen and with just the BOS, I'm registered. When that reg runs out, I transfer my VT registration into CT and CT makes me a new title.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OneEyedGimpyGuy For This Useful Post:
dagg92 (01-10-2017), dixon cider (01-09-2017), mxridercrf450r (01-06-2017), tary preisser (01-06-2017)

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tary preisser View Post
Keep it reg'd in Montana, ride it in Cali and accum. miles?

(this may take longer than 90 days, particularly ATM.....but if you keep a low profile...... keep orig plates/reg, ride carefully, and reg it in Cali when it hits miles?

LEO's aren't running "Cali compliant" checks...just looking for current registration/license.

DMV s/b np .....?

remember, low profile!
This unfortunately is not an option since the bike is new and unregistered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEyedGimpyGuy View Post
Apply for a Vermont Non Resident Registration by mail. You fill out your form from Sunny Cali. Sent it to Snowy Vermont. They send you a plate in the mail. Done! In 7500 miles, transfer to your Cali plate! Thats how I used to get around buying vehicles without a title and just a bill of sale. (CT requires a title for vehicles from the early 80's on when you first purchase it) They do a VIN check to make sure it isnt stolen and with just the BOS, I'm registered. When that reg runs out, I transfer my VT registration into CT and CT makes me a new title.
Very interesting, I'll have to look into this.

2003 - Red (SOLD)
2014 - Red
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 05:16 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

A: what you want to do is illegal and B: no, it won't work that way. Brand new title and 7500 miles? Besides, its still gotta be cali compliant to bring in. Cali compliant or not under 7500miles isn't allowed as they want you to buy in cali and pay cali taxes and they figure this makes people buy in state. You done messed up carl.

06 F4i- Yoshimura RS-3C, Racetech springs and valves, Ohlin's rear shock, steel brake lines, 520 conversion. 81k miles and counting.....
08 600RR- Stripped trackbike. CRG shorty brake lever, goodridge front brake lines.
------Disclaimer: I can't spell------
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored&stroked View Post
A: what you want to do is illegal and B: no, it won't work that way. Brand new title and 7500 miles? Besides, its still gotta be cali compliant to bring in. Cali compliant or not under 7500miles isn't allowed as they want you to buy in cali and pay cali taxes and they figure this makes people buy in state. You done messed up carl.
Look, it may not work. Its worth a try though. If California was a reasonable state that would allow me to add the missing evap canister to the bike, I would do it and pay them the taxes. The bike was cheap enough that if all fails, I will sell the bike to someone 2.5 hours away in AZ for profit.
Thanks for your response Bill!

2003 - Red (SOLD)
2014 - Red
The Following User Says Thank You to mxridercrf450r For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (01-09-2017)
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 01:01 PM
Moto GP Racer

Meh, Cali DMV is solely a $ extractor....... the stigma of being a CARB offender by not having an evap canister is un noticeable....

Get bike reg'd in Mont? and ride it here/to from Nevada a couple of times.

keep a low profile in your area, it'd be a local LEO who makes this "mileage mod" difficult.

P.S. i see POS honda civics with paper "dealer" plates driving around for months w/o problems in my region.....
The Following User Says Thank You to tary preisser For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (01-09-2017)
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 12:00 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Not sure about cali laws, but if all you are trying to do is get the mileage to read 7,500 then you can do a gauge swap. Or you can contact that company that does guage LED (I forget the name, just do a search) I believe they have a service where they will change the mileage for you, no eyebrows will be raised if you ask them to INCREASE the mileage lol).

Or you could just get a crazy sprocket conversion and don't speedo healer it and then run around racking up miles like no ones business.

I recommend the first option though.

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Mod List
-Akrapovic Slip on
-Arrow Headers
-DynoJet PCV
-DynoJet Quick Shifter
-K&N Air Filter
-Servo Delete
-PAIR Block off
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hero danny For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (01-09-2017), mxridercrf450r (01-08-2017)
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 04:38 AM
Knee Dragger

I believe Bluegauges does mileage correction. Not sure what you'd have to do to get them to increase miles.

If you've got a friend who has the same bike, maybe you can borrow their gauge.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 04:42 AM
Knee Dragger

Or ride the bike to the east coast and back
The Following User Says Thank You to trachito For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (01-09-2017)
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 10:03 AM
World Superbike Racer

Guys, these are all great ideas but honestly think about what's happening here: do you think you're the first people to buy a bike out of state for cheap and want to bring it in to CA, especially a brand new one?

Buying a used cluster or having it changed to read 7500 miles isn't going to work, you have a brand new, never been titled bike. When you apply for the title they'll do a VIN check and see that it's never been registered immediately. Then you stand to be in a nice bind being caught trying to import a vehicle that can't be imported legally and falsifying government documents; try explaining that one while standing in line at the local office. Pick the wrong person on the wrong day and it'll cost you a whole lot more than you saved on that bike buying it out of state.

Now how about your Honda warranty, how's that going to get activated when they see 7,500 miles on the registration?

If you want to own it you need to register it out of state and ride it until the time passes you can bring it in, you can make it CA legal or have 7,500 miles on it. There's going to be no way around it.

Now for kicks let's say you got your good "stole it" price as you said and you find a way to bring it in and you fudge it to show 7500 miles on the odo. No matter what at that point you have a bike registered in the DMV system and on the road from now on with 7500 miles on it. You can't make it have with one mileage in one state and not in another so the title now has 7,500 miles on it minimum no matter what.

Look up blue book values on a 2014 with that mileage. Now look on Craigslist to see what they're selling for. Even if you don't ride it a mile after registering it or ever plan on selling it, the insurance value has now diminished because of it. Again, any great price you got is out the window.

Also keep in mind you can't sell it legally until it's registered in your name and all taxes and fees are paid on it. You'll also need the title in hand to do so.

Not 100% sure this was such a "steal" of a deal.

- '14 Honda CBR650F
- '14 Triumph Thruxton
- '13 Kymco Super 8 150
- '04 Yamaha WR450F
- Past rides: too many to list

Last edited by Miweber929; 01-08-2017 at 10:08 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Miweber929 For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (01-14-2017)
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 12:39 PM
Knee Dragger

Garage
Here is a direct Quote from the Vermont DMV website on the FAQ page.

Frequently Asked Questions | Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles

Does a person have to be a resident of Vermont in order to register a vehicle in Vermont?

No.

How do I register a motorcycle in Vermont when I purchased the motorcycle in another state?

You must provide DMV with the following: a completed Registration Application form #TA-VD-119, the bill of sale, the title to the motorcycle, an updated (current) odometer statement and payment of the proper fees. If you did not purchase the motorcycle from a dealer (if you purchased it from a private individual) you will also need a "Visual Verification of Serial Number" completed. If you had registered the motorcycle in another state you will also need proof of the amount of tax paid to the other state.

Also,in years past, i had the vin verification done at a local PD with the document notarized. This made it so I didnt need to bring the bikes to VT...

Last edited by OneEyedGimpyGuy; 01-08-2017 at 12:48 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OneEyedGimpyGuy For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (01-14-2017), mxridercrf450r (01-09-2017)
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 02:10 PM
Moto GP Racer

Vermont offers a great service.....!
The Following User Says Thank You to tary preisser For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (01-14-2017)
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:35 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEyedGimpyGuy View Post
Here is a direct Quote from the Vermont DMV website on the FAQ page.

Frequently Asked Questions | Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles

Does a person have to be a resident of Vermont in order to register a vehicle in Vermont?

No.

How do I register a motorcycle in Vermont when I purchased the motorcycle in another state?

You must provide DMV with the following: a completed Registration Application form #TA-VD-119, the bill of sale, the title to the motorcycle, an updated (current) odometer statement and payment of the proper fees. If you did not purchase the motorcycle from a dealer (if you purchased it from a private individual) you will also need a "Visual Verification of Serial Number" completed. If you had registered the motorcycle in another state you will also need proof of the amount of tax paid to the other state.

Also,in years past, i had the vin verification done at a local PD with the document notarized. This made it so I didnt need to bring the bikes to VT...
This plan looks like a winner.

I wonder why Cali won't just let a bike be modified to meet regs. friggin bureaucrats.
dixon cider (01-09-2017)
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:19 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
Guys, these are all great ideas but honestly think about what's happening here: do you think you're the first people to buy a bike out of state for cheap and want to bring it in to CA, especially a brand new one?

Buying a used cluster or having it changed to read 7500 miles isn't going to work, you have a brand new, never been titled bike. When you apply for the title they'll do a VIN check and see that it's never been registered immediately. Then you stand to be in a nice bind being caught trying to import a vehicle that can't be imported legally and falsifying government documents; try explaining that one while standing in line at the local office. Pick the wrong person on the wrong day and it'll cost you a whole lot more than you saved on that bike buying it out of state.

Now how about your Honda warranty, how's that going to get activated when they see 7,500 miles on the registration?

If you want to own it you need to register it out of state and ride it until the time passes you can bring it in, you can make it CA legal or have 7,500 miles on it. There's going to be no way around it.

Now for kicks let's say you got your good "stole it" price as you said and you find a way to bring it in and you fudge it to show 7500 miles on the odo. No matter what at that point you have a bike registered in the DMV system and on the road from now on with 7500 miles on it. You can't make it have with one mileage in one state and not in another so the title now has 7,500 miles on it minimum no matter what.

Look up blue book values on a 2014 with that mileage. Now look on Craigslist to see what they're selling for. Even if you don't ride it a mile after registering it or ever plan on selling it, the insurance value has now diminished because of it. Again, any great price you got is out the window.

Also keep in mind you can't sell it legally until it's registered in your name and all taxes and fees are paid on it. You'll also need the title in hand to do so.

Not 100% sure this was such a "steal" of a deal.
I bought a Kawasaki Versys the day of a big trip across the US. I put over 6000 miles in 14 days. Didn't have time to stop by the DMV... Soo..... It is DEFINITELY possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to Urbane For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (01-09-2017)
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:47 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Sorry, off topic. What did you pay for it? I had a shop trying to sell me a mint 2014 with 5900 miles for $8500. Seemed a little high.

First time rider over 40. Finally made it!
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:51 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
another idea. do you have family or friends in another state you could register it with?

First time rider over 40. Finally made it!
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixon cider View Post
another idea. do you have family or friends in another state you could register it with?
My father-in-law has a place in AZ. I'm considering this option, but I'm pretty sure that I would have to register it in his name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixon cider View Post
Sorry, off topic. What did you pay for it? I had a shop trying to sell me a mint 2014 with 5900 miles for $8500. Seemed a little high.
I paid less :)

2003 - Red (SOLD)
2014 - Red
dixon cider (01-10-2017)
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Good points here. Since the bike is new and unregistered, claiming it magically has mileage via a cluster swap would raise some red flags. I think im going to look into registering it in Vermont, or possibly register the bike in AZ for a 6 months or so. Then I can attempt the cluster method in CA.

2003 - Red (SOLD)
2014 - Red

Last edited by mxridercrf450r; 01-10-2017 at 01:59 AM.
dixon cider (01-10-2017)
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:49 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxridercrf450r View Post
My father-in-law has a place in AZ. I'm considering this option, but I'm pretty sure that I would have to register it in his name.

:)
I don't see that as a problem if you trust him. The question is does he want to take the liability? I'm apprehensive of people driving vehicles in my name, even my own kids.
dixon cider (01-10-2017)
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Forms, paperwork, and check is in the mail on it's way to Vermont! Fingers crossed!

2003 - Red (SOLD)
2014 - Red
dixon cider (01-14-2017)
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 08:04 AM
Knee Dragger

Awesome keep us updated how it works out.

I think it's illegal to have a vehicle registered in one state and you're license in another in some areas because of taxes. I heard a vette driver talk about that. I think you have to own property or some crap where it's registered. I'm not really sure. Bottom line, put those 7500 miles on there quickly and register by you asap
dixon cider (01-14-2017)
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 06:31 PM
Knee Dragger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bored&stroked View Post
A: what you want to do is illegal and B: Besides, its still gotta be cali compliant to bring in. Cali compliant or not under 7500miles isn't allowed as they want you to buy in cali and pay cali taxes and they figure this makes people buy in state.
Unless I'm misreading something, this isn't entirely accurate info. Part A is 100% true, the quoted section of Part B is what I'm putting into question.

Any vehicle purchased in/out of CA is considered new in CA if the Odo reads 7500 miles or less and must be CA compliant (ie 50 state, not 49 state legal) in terms of emissions in order to be registered in CA. Any vehicle purchased in/out of CA that is a 49 state must be used (have more than 7500 miles) to be registered in CA. When it comes to bikes, they don't get smogged (YET!). So all you have to have is more than 7500mi upon date of purchase to register a 49 state bike in CA. In terms of cars, the same applies, but they will be smogged according to federal standards rather than CA standards.

An example of this would be my bike. It was a 49 state legal, registered in Florida bike with 16k miles when I bought it. Reg/Titled in CA under my name no questions asked.

In the OP's case though, the bike is brand new and most likely a 49 state upon the date of purchase. So you're SOL as far as I know. The only option you have is to maintain it's registration in some other state that will allow it until the Odo reads greater than 7500 miles. Then you can transfer it into a CA reg/title
The Following User Says Thank You to GodZuki For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (01-14-2017)
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 08:52 AM
Knee Dragger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxridercrf450r View Post
Forms, paperwork, and check is in the mail on it's way to Vermont! Fingers crossed!
Good Luck Sir!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page