Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Stuck between two bikes..

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  SloKnt 
#1 ·
Hey yall! I have been riding cruisers for the last year and i am about to get my first sports bike. I am stuck between a 06 and 09 600rr and hoped yall could give me some advice.

The 06 only has 2500 miles on it, it was owned by a lady and then was bought by a company to help Honda settle claims against them for wrecked bikes, whatever that means. I am a little concerned about how little miles it has but i am not sure how worried i should be about it. He said they changed the tires and oil/oil filter when the bought it a year ago and since put about 50 miles on it. There is light rash on the rear fairing on both side and a little on the right frame slide and a little on the left fairing, nothing major though. I checked it seemed good to me besides the cosmetic damage, the chain had around two inches of play in it, not sure it that's bad but i cant imagine anything like that being bad with only 2500 miles. He is asking $4350 for it, figure i can talk him down to 4k or less. how does this sound?

The 09 has 16500 miles on it which doesn't concern me at all. says he is the original owner and has done everything himself as far as oil changes and such. He swapped the stock fairing out for aftermarkets, said the old ones had some scratches on them but he does not have them anymore. Not sure if i should worry about not seeing the condition the OEM's were in. Says he maintained meticulously, but i havent been able to see it in person yet. Fairing appear spotless in pictures. He also has a yoshi slipon. He is asking $4800, hoping i could talk him down to $4400. Tires have bout 50% of less life in them/

After a lot of searching these two look the best for me, any opinions on what looks better?

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Where you live?

FWIW go for 09, have 50K+ miles on mine and going strong.

Give it a hella good inspection.

Bike needs major service at 16k, if not done at dealer w/paperwork take $500 off.

Aftermarket fairings and no OEM's usually means a dropped bike.....check carefully for scuffed pegs etc.

Tires...NM, as you'll be buying LOTS of tires......I would offer max $4k if bike is super clean.

But springtime is sellers best market.......you may not have much bargainig power.

GL!

#5 ·
Neither bike has enough miles to worry about anything unless they were track bikes or stunted. The first one sounds fishy as hell and is only slightly cheaper for a earlier generation. The 06 will be more comfy and has better really low end torque [talking under 4500rpm here, where you pretty much never are revs wise] while the 07+s are lighter and basically the current generation mechanically speaking. I'd get the newer bike. FYI he replaced the fairings because he crashed and destroyed them.

Reactions: dixon cider
#6 ·
personally id go with the 09 as long as it sounds and rides alright. id also have somebody go with you to check it out as well, preferably somebody that has no care either way if you walk away with a bike or not that day. my dad always told me , a motorcycle thats sitting is a motorcycle thats rotting! so dont be afraid of a bike with more miles. i mean its a honda, keep up with the maintenance and it will last forever! . as for the new fairings on the 09, like other people have said the guy either doped the bike and is trying to cover the evidence, or he is stupid and devalued his motorcycle by getting rid of the stock fairings. an 06 with 2500 miles , thats like less than 250 miles a year . its done ALOT of sitting . you never really know if it was stored properly during those long periods of storage either. that and the story sounds kinda fishy to me . if you do go for the 06, check all the vin numbers to make sure they match just in case. also see if you can get it inspected by a mechanic of your choice , youd probably be best to do that with both bikes. test rides would probably be necessary as well. keep us updated on your decision!

#12 ·
My buddy from over there seriously looked into getting a container and giving me the cash to load it up with bikes for him due to the crazy prices they charge down there. I feel bad for you guys until I remember you still have commadores and the el camino thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.