Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Reputable Chicago bike shop needed for inspection

592 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  TofuProductions 
#1 ·
Getting my first bike soon and was going to get it inspected before making the purchase. Was wondering if there are any Chicago heads on here that can recommend a reliable shop that'll do a good and thorough job?

#8 ·
Eddie shut down Naperville Motorsports a while ago.. unfortunately. Great guy and good friend.

OP, check out M&M Motorsports in Westmont, they are nearby me, and I spoke with Mark who is a cool guy and runs the entire operation. I will be heading there myself in about a week or so's time.

Feel free to hit me up if you need a ride-along.

#3 · (Edited)
Well, I'm looking for a used CBR600RR and wanted to get the entire thing checked out to insure that there's nothing wrong with it. I know literally nothing about bikes and wanted someone with know-how to do a once-over on it before I pay the seller.

As for location, I'd say anywhere between 20-25 miles of Rogers Park (Western & Peterson) would be good. Then again, now that I think about it, only a couple bikes I saw online were super close to me, so that brings me to a possibly better question.

As mentioned, a lot of these sellers are not only outside that 25-mile radius (some more than 50 miles away from me), but for whatever reason they're also hesitant to meet me at a dealership so that I can get the bike inspected. But I've read something on here (or one of the other forums) where someone paid one of the guys at these shops $100 bucks to go with him to inspect the bike on the spot. Do you know if this is generally something these guys do? Hate to walk into one of these places with hope on full blast only to walk out feeling like they thought I was trying to kidnap one of their employees. Just wondering what the etiquette is and if a $100 offer is reasonable/too much? Is there an all-around better option, maybe? What do you guys think?

#5 ·
Oddly enough, no. None of my friends ride. Have a family member who's owned a bike before but I really don't think he's qualified to inspect one. May have to just bite the bullet and deal with the awkwardness that'll ensue after asking one of these guys at the dealership. Lol

#7 ·
Join ride chi on fb and ask there, there are a bunch of mechanics on there. The Naperville shop was like a block away from my work place. I took my shocks there but sbs suspension was joined along side next door so i didnt really deal with the shop part, but my boss took his atv there to get some work done and wasnt too happy. Problem didnt get fixed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.