Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

? about front brake rotor and rubbing noise

7K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Superspacemunky 
#1 ·
Ever since I first got my bike (9 months or so ago) it seems the brake rotor/s up front seem to rub a bit against the pads. I think I saw something on here a while back about it being a common issue. Well, today I had to install a new front fender and figured I make sure everything is put back together the right way and it still didn't go away. Just wanting to know if it's me or is this really a common problem. I can't find it anywhere with the search option and every time I try I end up getting side tracked and reading stuff that has nothing to do with my situation.

FYI: It's an 04' 600rr thats basically stock.... and its blue.
and I have a service manual with a bit of mechanical knowledge backing me.

#3 ·
When the front end is raised can you spin the wheel moderately freely? You should be able to get a couple turns with a strong spin. If you think you are getting a lot of resistance you should make sure the wheel is centered properly and the caliper pistons are not getting stuck.

Loosen the axle and pinch bolts on the front forks with the front in the air. Move the wheel to loosen it up a bit and then grab the front brake. (this should get the rotors properly in line with the calipers). while holding the front brake hand tighten the axle and give the wheel another spin to make sure it still spins freely (if not you might want to make sure your rotors are not warped) If all good then tighten down the axle and drop the front to torque the axle down to spec and then the pinch bolts.

You can also check your caliper pistons to make sure they are not stuck. Remove one caliper and take the pads out. be very gentle but squeeze the brakes a little to get the pistons to move out a little bit. You can do two at a time by holding one side (two pistons) with your hand while the others move out slightly. I use a no residue part cleaner (some brake cleaners leave residue) to clean off the lower part of the piston and then apply grease. Do this to all 8 pistons. This will only work if there is not a lot of gunk on them, other wise you might have to remove them and thats a whole other write up in itself.

I hope this helps and if anyone has any suggestion please let me know. I am writing this from experience and if there is a better way id love to know.

Evan

#4 ·
With the front wheel of the ground the wheel will make about 4 revolutions before coming to a stop. I'll have to see if I get any vibration from the front when I ride it since I haven't got the chance to take her out yet cause it was rather late when I finished with her. I'll be doing that today and if she has any vibration I guess I'll be pulling the calipers back off and doing a rebuild which won't be too much fun. Thanks for the advice thus far.

Can anyone tell me why the slight rubbing is normal? The only reasons I can come up with don't sound very smart in my head so I won't make you all go through it too :wave:

G
#5 ·
because there are no springs that retract the pads. they are supposed to be kept in constant contact (albeit minimal) with the rotor. also, the friction material the pads are mode of are not very spongy like automotive pads. they have almost no elasticity to them so they wont 'spring' back like a car or truck will.

You're also going to hear a lot more noise from them because they are drilled rotors.

#7 ·
I get that they are gonna rub a bit but it seems so much more pronounced on my 600rr than any other bike I've been on. Not saying its a loud squeal or anything but it's definitely louder than my F4 or R6 used to be. I kinda figured the cross drilled rotor would contribute to the noise but I've never had a bike that didn't have those. I've taken countless calipers apart throughout school and for general maintenance purposes so I know my way around them. Maybe I'm just crazy and only now starting to realize how much noise they really make. There's no vibrations or squeaking coming from them, my brake lever is solid and theres no problems stopping so I guess everything is cool. Thanks for the help with my paranoia I guess :spin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.