Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

As the 2015 S.E. trackday season comes to a close.....

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  whitarnold 
#1 ·
Many people on this Forum and on the 1000rr Forum act as if going to a race track with their bike is a hard thing to do and only the rich can afford to have that kind of hobby. I will let you in on a little secret, you can afford to participate. It will benefit your street riding skills. You can have the tons of fun. It can be a hobby that your whole family will grow to love. Etc.....I participate in about 25 TD's a year and I work in a factory and make about 40K a year. I have a wife and a 2 year old son and the do not suffer from my hobby. Yes, I live in the S.E. and we have many tracks to choose from, but looking at the map, every state has a few tracks...LOL So, this is how to do it....Start planning now and saving for next season. Start planning and saving for 2016...It is just that easy....Start now for next year.

#4 ·
Bravo!!!! Figured out a way to post for sale ads without having enough posts, you are a sneaky devil. Enjoy the free publicity while it lasts :)

(Slow clap....)

#3 ·
it isnt the cheapest hobby tho. i got off the the street and went track only.. it adds up. about $300-400 for the weekend $200 for a day plus van/trailer if you dont have it, plus proper bike maintenance, well mainly oil and tires. its definitely worth it tho, after the first day youll be a different rider on the street and track. Also first timers can pretty much always get a first track day free.. so theres really no excuse why you cant atleast try it. lot of ppl worry that if you go to the track its gna be a full out race and your gna drop you bike or come last, and thats not the case, you go on your pace at your own skill level and theres amazing couching to get you better.

#9 ·
Yea i dont think its as cut and dry as that. Its really adds up after awhile. Its is a ton of fun and super addicting tho.

I think for alot of people its more of the... Im not that fast yet, im nervous, and i dont wanna crash more than it is about the money imo.

Thats kinda how i felt on my first trackday and alot of people dont have boots or a suit. Even tho renting is a option

#12 ·
Many people on this Forum and on the 1000rr Forum act as if going to a race track with their bike is a hard thing to do and only the rich can afford to have that kind of hobby. I will let you in on a little secret, you can afford to participate.
Met a girl who said the trackdays in her town in new mexico were like $90-100 a day. At that rate sure people can afford it easier. Around here in AZ its $200 a day. Most people cannot afford that and anything else in their lives, meaning they have to choose. I get in maybe 3 trackdays a year when I'm lucky.

#14 ·
Depending on how people assess "expensive"...yes track days can be expensive. Taking into account you have to pay for suit rental/purchase, the track day itself, possibly new tires after track day...it all adds up. I can see how some people can perceive that you need to have some money to burn to do track days.

However, your opportunity cost (to me) justifies the price you pay across the board.

I have only done 2 track days and have only been riding for 8 months on a motorcycle, period. The knowledge and skill I have learned from the short amount of time I have had on the track is worth far more than what I have spent money wise. Hell...I can out ride a lot of guys that have been riding for years...

Just wanted to throw this out there as a caveat to why some would think that only rich people can afford it...

#16 ·
Here is how easy it is:
1) Find a Sportbike Track Time date for 2016 that you would like to attend. (once the 2016 schedule is out)
2) Sign up for their forum and attempt to get the "ride right" entry.
3) Post up for gear, etc.... (you will not have to rent a single item - to many people willing to let you borrow there gear)
4) Prep your bike and show up....

I just went to a FREE track weekend at TGPR with Sportbike Track Time. It was FREE all weekend for their customer appreciation day.

#17 · (Edited)
My numbers for a track day:

Tires usage: ~$40 (Q3 over 7 track days, + install)
Bike gas: $20
Hotel: $100
Car/Transportation/Gas/Toll: $100

Total: $450/day if you don't crash and without track mods (steel lines, racing fairings, paint job... there are many mods you will have to purchase). A more realistic budget is between $500-$600/day. This doesn't include bike depreciation and maintenance, assuming you want a bike regardless of track days.

So even on a budget you're looking at an expensive hobby. Do I recommend it? Absolutely. It's more than riding skills (which I'm sure greatly improves your street riding). It's a constant mental and physical self-improvement, at least the way I conceive it, and an interesting social experience. I've always met nice, humble people at the track, especially among the fastest guys. I guess there is a natural selection happening where those bigger than themselves don't last for very long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.