Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Brands Hatch virgin - 2/4/16

3K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  decubitus 
#1 · (Edited)
Brands Hatch virgin - 5/4/16

Hi guys. I decided it was time, after owning my RR for nearly two years, to book myself on a track day and really learn what the bike (and I) is capable of that I wouldn't necessarily try on public roads.

I'm taking part in a general trackday (novice group naturally) at Brands Hatch on 5th April. I've also booked a session of tuition with an instructor that I'm certain will be beneficial.

Quite apprehensive which I guess is understandable, more so because I don't know how my ability (or lack of) will transfer to a track scenario. I've ridden the bike at very fast speeds over on the Isle of Man, but my main focus at Brands will be on my lines, lean angle and throttle on turns, as I know this is the area which will make me a better rider.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions in advance of this trackday, by all means let me know. And if you're doing the trackday even better, maybe I could meet you there. I've been to Brands as a spectator many times so I know it very well, but riding it will be an experience I won't forget in a hurry!

Cheers :grin2:

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks guys, fingers crossed for the weather! I had initially booked on one next Monday before consulting the forecast (zero degrees and strong chance of rain!) so I cancelled and rebooked for April, as sun and 15-20 degrees Celsius forecast at present.

I do ride in all conditions but would rather my first experience on track is not spoiled by inclement weather!

#5 ·
Good luck mate and if your anything like me you'll fall in love with track riding..

I have 2 race dates this year at Brands and I've never been there so have booked 3 dates to practice but a little later this year, one of my races there will be a support race for the BSB meeting in August:surprise:

#6 ·
Wow, holy crap Matt that's a different level altogether! What class do you race in? I may well pop along in August to that meet :thumbup:

I love Brands as a spectator, it's quality and I'm buzzing to know I'll be riding it, a great circuit with a lot of heritage, not to mention quite challenging. You'll be on full GP circuit then? My TD is the Indy circuit.

#9 ·
So the big day is fast approaching. Tomorrow I'll be hammering around Brands Hatch, the weather is looking pretty favourable.

Done all my prep on the bike. I recently changed the brakes and tyres, oil was changed last week (along with a fresh MOT), K&N air filter, chain cleaned, lubed and adjusted. Everything cleaned and tightened where necessary.

Ideally I want to run the bike without the noise baffle in the exhaust as I find the throttle is more responsive, I have an Akrapovic slip on. Does anyone have experience of what the decibel reading might be on our bikes with/without the db killer fitted? I will risk it without for the noise test and if it fails just pop the baffle in.

#10 ·
Well I had an awesome time at my first ever track day. Was fortunate to share a pit lane garage with a couple of other guys who were relatively new to the track, and that proved to be a great help through the day as we shared feedback and ideas. One of them was on a 600RR and the other had a track spec R6.

I failed the initial noise test. My reading with the baffle out was 103/104db and the track limit is 102db so I had to whack the db killer in and then passed straight away.

The novice group was around 30 bikes so quite a lot of riders on track at once, although I never really found this to be an issue. Managed to scrub my tyres up almost all the way to their edges (was my target for the day!), and learned more about how I should be positioning myself on the bike to enable faster/smoother cornering. Got quicker throughout the day as expected and by the end was feeling pretty confident leaning in pretty heavily, although still a distance away from getting my knee down (next target).

I'm looking to book up another session ASAP. Will add some pics later.

#16 ·
Hey mate, you're doing Snet the day before me. Will be interested to hear how you find it. A lot of the guys I have met on track days have said it's superb and very fast! I'm looking forward to something more technical than Brands Indy, which is short, fast and lots of fun.

How do you rate the CSS?

#18 ·
The trackday bug kicked in 100% after last year, must have done at least 5 TD's!

Done a couple already this year at Brands and Snetterton and I'm booked to do Mallory Park (with James Whitham tuition), Silverstone GP and Brands Hatch GP this summer. Sometimes feel the 600 is lacking in power, especially up top, but always have a blast!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.