Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Essential mods/upgrade for a track bike?

14K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Joshua Atkinson 
#1 ·
Hello,

I converted my 09 600rr to a track bike and I want to know what modifications or upgrades YOU would recommend to improve my bike and riding skill?

So far I have:

1. Optimal Race Fairings
2. Galfer Front Rotors
3. Galfer Front SS brake lines
4. EBC Sintered Double H
4. Vortex rearsets
5. Woodcraft low profile frame sliders
6. Akrapovic slip on exhaust
7. Techspec tank grips
8. Pirelli Supercorsa SP2
9. Suspension adjusted by Dave Moss https://feelthetrack.com/

Next few things I want to add is quickshifter, more crash protection parts, gearing change and 520 chain, air filter, better master brake cylinder, levers, lap timer, racing slicks. Thanks for reading and I would love to hear your feedback!

See less See more
#4 ·
Agreed. Done 2 track days this season so far and 3 more booked and I can't wait!
do the riding first and the mods second.

make it as crash proof as you can, but remember that spending 1000 dollars on crash protection isn't a good plan either.

get case covers and axle sliders. don't cover the whole bike in ******** that won't do anything anyway.

you have already gone in the wrong direction with your spending. so stop it now and just ride the thing.

buy a set of clip ons that takes replaceable bars. woodcraft makes good ones, then get some spare handlebars. also get some spare footpegs

when you chuck the thing down the road it's most important to have the stuff to fix it between sessions so you can keep riding that day. if your day ends because of a broken handlebar in the first session you've wasted a day and a bunch of money.

as far as what to do to the bike. ride it, find its deficiencies, then focus on those.
Great idea on spare parts... I wish I had a spare radiator yesterday when it failed on me after 2 sessions. Btw, all the big ticket items were purchased second hand for a great price to replace damaged parts.

#3 ·
do the riding first and the mods second.

make it as crash proof as you can, but remember that spending 1000 dollars on crash protection isn't a good plan either.

get case covers and axle sliders. don't cover the whole bike in ******** that won't do anything anyway.

you have already gone in the wrong direction with your spending. so stop it now and just ride the thing.

buy a set of clip ons that takes replaceable bars. woodcraft makes good ones, then get some spare handlebars. also get some spare footpegs

when you chuck the thing down the road it's most important to have the stuff to fix it between sessions so you can keep riding that day. if your day ends because of a broken handlebar in the first session you've wasted a day and a bunch of money.

as far as what to do to the bike. ride it, find its deficiencies, then focus on those.

#19 ·
Ci Senior. haha

I needed new rotors anyways and they look cool soooo fu(K it :)

#11 ·
Are you installing it yourself? Let me know how it goes and if you like it!

Oh boy, once I read the title I knew what this can of worms was going to open hahaha

I remembered someone asked this same question years ago, my favorite response someone made was "the first mod is usually fixing that nut between the seat and the tank (referring to you!)" haha..

Anyway, I don't go to the track (yet!) but I like adding my .02 so i'll say clip ons, (don't buy extra just keep your stock as backup..), rear stainless lines (not "essential" at all but there will be very very minor improvements), If you're going to do a quickshifter and fuel manager then you mine as well get headers and a BMC race filter.

Honestly though, all of these are really nice but I would advise in just riding the thing, check ebay and the classifieds for a good used deal on any of these mods then pull the trigger (unless you are rich, then just sell the 600 and get an s1k haha jk)
Don't think I'll be doing performance upgrades anytime soon except for brakes and quickshifter. I just want this bike to be reliable and the controls tailored to my body :) Definitely going to invest in some clip ona

#10 ·
Oh boy, once I read the title I knew what this can of worms was going to open hahaha

I remembered someone asked this same question years ago, my favorite response someone made was "the first mod is usually fixing that nut between the seat and the tank (referring to you!)" haha..

Anyway, I don't go to the track (yet!) but I like adding my .02 so i'll say clip ons, (don't buy extra just keep your stock as backup..), rear stainless lines (not "essential" at all but there will be very very minor improvements), If you're going to do a quickshifter and fuel manager then you mine as well get headers and a BMC race filter.

Honestly though, all of these are really nice but I would advise in just riding the thing, check ebay and the classifieds for a good used deal on any of these mods then pull the trigger (unless you are rich, then just sell the 600 and get an s1k haha jk)

#12 ·
Can't say anything anyone else hasn't said. You've done the most important things already anyway (tyres and suspension setup, we had guys that came and did it on the day for you in the pits). I'll agree with others, just spend your money and time hitting the track as much as possible now :D I miss my 7RR track bike :( and this bike is making me itch for the track again, especially seeing threads like this >.< have fun!

#14 ·
Essential mods would be whatever it takes to get you on the track. After that removing all the not needed oem stuff like headlights and getting race plastics. Adjust suspension, then ride the crap out of it. I've had my trackbike completly stock for a couple years and just recently put steel lines and a short brake lever for the front brakes on because I crashed and killed the old stuff. I'd like rearset for more clearance but not required at my low end of A group pace once I removed the feelers.

Reactions: baodown
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.