Anti-theft discussion - 600RR.net
Stolen RR'S This forum will be dedictaed to stolen RR'S God forbid if your bike gets stolen please post a thread including vin number, bike description , where , when it got stolen

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool Anti-theft discussion

I wanted to get some recommendations for the most effective anti-theft devices for the 600RR. I've done a fair bit of research, but there are a few things specific to this bike (2008 model in my case) when it comes to recommending the exact items (e.g. disc lock pin size) or U-locks that fit perfectly into the trunk.

Reddit AMA by an ex-thief: https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles...p_operator_ama

He suggests a disc lock on the rear wheel, a chain, and a lockable cover. One thing though.. I don't want alarms. False positives are annoying. I want enough of a deterrent that a thief would just move on.

Disc locks:
- Which ones do you use? What's the largest pin size that the OEM rear rotors will fit? Should I try to get the largest pin size that will fit?
- Do you have a chain/cable attached to your disc lock? How durable is it against bolt cutters? What about the weight? Something like http://xenasecurity.com/wp-content/u...series-dis.jpg
- Can you fit all this in the trunk? I may just always ride with a backpack.
- Do you think alarms are good if you are far enough that you can't hear it? Do people these days respond to alarm sounds? I doubt that.

Chains:
- Anyone here have a DIY chain solution? i.e. buy a specialized chain (priced per foot), buy a sleeve, buy the lock separately
- Where do you attach it? I hear the hole in the swingarm on the right side is a safe place? It's not very big though, so some of those enormous chains may not fit.
- When it comes to a chain, I want something that will be hardest to cut while not being too heavy, even if that costs more. I don't want to carry an extra 15lbs in my backpack to work.. I probably just wouldn't. I may leave a spare chain locked around a pole there though to not have to haul it around.

U-locks:
- Do any of you use one of these for the rear wheel? What's the exact lock you use and how do you attach it? It would be good to put it through the swingarm hole as well as around one of the 3 spokes on the rear wheel, but it seems you'd have to park it carefully such that one of the spokes is next to the swingarm hole, which may get annoying.

Lockable bike cover:
- I'd imagine these are a great idea. It should prevent people from sitting on your bike and also make it harder for a thief to tell what model/year bike you have or what security devices you have attached if the cover is locked. Especially for those of us with brightly-colored and shiny bikes that look expensive and catch the eye, a full cover will neutralize that.

Insurance:
- Right now, I'm fortunate to pay only $14/mo extra to add comprehensive coverage (I find Progressive and GEICO to be the best for me). However, I'll be moving to a big city soon, so my insurance will probably go way up. If I feel that I protect my bike far better than the average Joe, I may cancel the comprehensive coverage and spend the money on beefy chains and Portal turrets.

Comments/answers/questions/discussions welcome :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 06:47 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Hi,

I'm sure the more knowledgeable folk here will provide some better answers, but here's my 2 pence worth.

Disc lock: I've got a Xena XZZ6 disc lock and this fits in our boot... or Trunk as others call it. it goes through one of the holes in the rear brake disc and is alarmed so it does provide a visual as well as audible deterrent.

I don't have the chain that goes with it though. I've got my tool kit and a scottoiler in there so space is quite tight. I'm not sure if it would fit but is definitely worth looking into.

Chain:
I own an Almax security chain and I particularly like this chain because they cannot be cut by hand using bolt cutters... obviously any other option would require power tools which would be too loud for a thief. it IS quite heavy though, so I'm not sure how you'll be able to carry it around.

Bike cover: I use one, but its nothing special, mainly just to protect the bike from the elements but also good in that (I believe) "if you can't see it, you most probably wont want it"

Insurance: I live in the UK and its mandatory to have insurance.

I don't really ride anywhere where I'd leave the bike unattended for too long or not in a secure place so for me, this is adequate, however, as many people will tell you, if a thief really wants your bike, not much will stop them.

Good luck.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
When you park it, put a motorcycle cover over it that reads "Harley Davidson". :p

Ride carefully - You are invisible.
FB | YT

Current: 2012 Street Triple R
Sold: 2001 NSR150SP | 2012 CBR250R
RIP: 2003 CBR600RR

Mods:

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 09:36 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzman View Post
When you park it, put a motorcycle cover over it that reads "Harley Davidson". :p
Heh. This made me chuckle.

"Opinions are like A**holes. Everyone has one."

- Untamed Entity -
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 10:04 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexion View Post
Insurance:
- Right now, I'm fortunate to pay only $14/mo extra to add comprehensive coverage (I find Progressive and GEICO to be the best for me). However, I'll be moving to a big city soon, so my insurance will probably go way up. If I feel that I protect my bike far better than the average Joe, I may cancel the comprehensive coverage and spend the money on beefy chains and Portal turrets.

Comments/answers/questions/discussions welcome :)
If you're moving to a big city, canceling your comprehensive insurance is literally the worst thing you can do.

You seem like you've done your research. I'm sure you've heard the "If a theif wants it, they will take it" argument. It's 100% correct.

Let me be the example: I 'protected my bike far better than the average Joe' too. Never left it uncovered for more than 1-2 minutes when I got home. Locking cover, disk locks, the whole 9 yards. It took the theives all of 1 month to identify my bike (even under the cover) and steal it without a trace overnight.

If you're living in the city:
#1: Full Comprehensive insurance
#2: Find a secure parking spot. Preferably in a locked garage with an attendant 24/7.
#3: Locks, chains and covers.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-track View Post
Disc lock: I've got a Xena XZZ6 disc lock and this fits in our boot... or Trunk as others call it. it goes through one of the holes in the rear brake disc and is alarmed so it does provide a visual as well as audible deterrent.
I've heard of someone using this lock, and it has a compatible chain or cable adapter. What I'm wondering though is... would an XX-15 fit perfectly onto the rear rotor, and how much added security would that give compared to the XZZ6? That is, I'm wondering if it's worth sacrificing the mobility (I assume it won't fit in the trunk) for the security. Are the holes in the 600RR OEM rear rotor large enough for an XX-15? (either 14 or 15mm apparently??) Seems way too thick. As for the lock body itself, I measured 4 inches between the outer part of the rotor and the inner part of the rim, so that should fit.

What about some of those Kryptonite U-locks that they label as disc locks? They look pretty beefy, but I honestly don't know where on the rear disc to fit them. My rotor doesn't have huge inner holes, there's something blocking them (see attached pics).

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-track View Post
Chain:
I own an Almax security chain and I particularly like this chain because they cannot be cut by hand using bolt cutters... obviously any other option would require power tools which would be too loud for a thief. it IS quite heavy though, so I'm not sure how you'll be able to carry it around.
I'll look into this.. maybe something I'd leave at the office and at home (get 2). I could bring a big heavy chain with an enormous lock and carry a short but strong one to connect to the stationary one (a short one won't fit around the pole).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzman View Post
Hey man, they steal Harleys too. What about getting a grill cover and making it look like an old rusty grill? Put some empty propane tanks next to it too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-06-08 18.49.29.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	155922   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-06-08 18.49.34.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	155930  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 10:32 AM
Training Wheel Hero

How about scorpio i900? Are these good?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 03:24 PM
BOTM Winner 12/16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch07 View Post

#1: Full Comprehensive insurance
This is the only thing...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 06:17 AM
Knee Dragger

Garage
The best anti-theft device is a garage with a lock.

08 Ninja 250R Track prepared
96 Miata track prepared
98 Q45T V8
07 Rabbit 2.5L 5 cylinder 6sp Tiptronic
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 03:47 PM
Knee Dragger

I know they sell portable storage units (like PODS) that you could rent if you don't own a garage. They seem pretty safe and would be a lot harder to get into than a chain.

2006 Cbr600rr
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 07:56 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Keep the insurance, esp comprehensive to cover theft. You could cancel the collision, but never the comprehensive.

A thick chain like Kryptonite would work well. This is what my friend who lives in Philadelphia does when he parks his bike outside his apartment in a not-so-great area. A plain black motorcycle cover works too. Add a rear brake lock if you can afford it.

Alarms are not overrated. They may deter a thief from stealing your bike if it catches other people's attention while he is trying to remove the chain and brake locks. They also sell the alarm models with the paging feature so if the bike is tampered with, it lets the owner know and hopefully you can run and check on your bike.

* * 600RR Ex-Track Junkie * *
Current bike - Yamaha Liquid Silver R1

- Competition Breeds Excellence -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page