Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Reverse LCD

11K views 36 replies 20 participants last post by  Nico 
#1 ·
If you have been wondering about this its quite simple. Bluegauge offer this mod for $40.

Its just a polarized film that adheres to the LCD. The only problem is finding them for cheap.

I found this website that sells them for $15 per sheets of 12" by 17", but you need to order a minimum of 2 feet.

http://www.polarization.com/

(click the link at the top for polarized film)

I guess its not bad if you have a bunch of friends that wants to do it and you guys split the cost.

I parked my bike for the winter so I hope I will have the chance to do this soon, when I will, I will snap pictures and post a write up, unless someone else beat me to it.

Well, hope that helps anyone who has been wondering about how this is done.

#10 ·
i've always wondered if this was possible to do as well..
you have any pictures you can post up on how yours turned out? i already changed my led's to white..and now want to do the reversal lcd. do you just cut a piece of polarized film (after you find the rotation/orientation for best polarization)big enough to fit on/cover speedo/gas screen, or where should i put the film?

#21 ·
Here are some pics of my 06 1000rr(Got Stolen)! www.bluegauges.com did the Gauges!
I got the Silver backed Faceplate which matched the silver Honda decals great! They Looked so awesome Bluegauges did a great job! I wanted to do this mod so bad on my 600rr but I was always hesitant about pulling it all apart and all the down time. I got the 1000 and said Im doin it. It was actually very easy to do and they returned them so fast it suprised me! Anyway

#25 ·
Alright, pardon my lack of clarity. Do you need white leds for this to look like the pictures, or is that over a stock gauge? How is the visibility compared to stock (day and night)? And you're saying you have to open up the gauge and peel off the film on the stock gauges? Thanks man, I wanna do this but just need to know exactly what I'm gettin into

#26 ·
you can choose whatever led's you want to get the color scheme you want. i'm gonna use all white led's and do the reverse lce screen.
you're not peeling off the film on the stock gauges, the film is actually on the glass screen itself.

and question: how do you get the polarizing film to stick to the screen?

#27 ·
if i remember correctly there are some tabs that hold the screen in place. i just put the film under the tabs themselves to hold the film in place also. and dont forget to peel the protective film off of your new polarized film that you buy. just in case someone buys the film and it looks all scratched up. thats just the protective film, should be a piece on each side.

#30 ·
hmmm...that's a really good point. i didn't even think of that. i'm pretty bad at tinting/vinyl overlays etc. it's impossible to not get bubbles.

so just to clarify, is the film held in place pretty well? like it won't get loose or move around with vibrations of the bike or anything? i know you said it was, but i just want to make sure before i buy it.

#31 ·
Are there different LEDs for the background and the numbers? I know that if you open up the gauge and replace the LEDs, the background changes color but the letters/numbers stay black. So suppose you just replaced the original factory film with the polarized film (rotated and whatnot to fit), I would assume that the whole thing would just be blacked out. Am I wrong in thinking this? What exactly does the polarized film do besides make the background black? Does the polarized film somehow invert the colors/illumination of the background and letters/numbers?

I'm gonna do this mod asap but I just want to clear some things up before I do.

#33 ·
Are there different LEDs for the background and the numbers? I know that if you open up the gauge and replace the LEDs, the background changes color but the letters/numbers stay black. So suppose you just replaced the original factory film with the polarized film (rotated and whatnot to fit), I would assume that the whole thing would just be blacked out. Am I wrong in thinking this? What exactly does the polarized film do besides make the background black? Does the polarized film somehow invert the colors/illumination of the background and letters/numbers?

I'm gonna do this mod asap but I just want to clear some things up before I do.
the film that you are to remove from the lcd glass is a polarized film..it's just oriented where it makes the numbers/letters come up as black and everything else clear. now, if you were to turn that polarized film 90 degrees the opposite will happen, the numbers/letters clear and everything else black. to test this, you can take the old film that you just peeled off and put it back on the screen and see..place it same position like it came on the screen..everything appears the way it came stock. now, rotate that film 90 degrees and you see the opposite of how it looked before. so essentially all you are doing is removing the old polarized film to replace it with another polarized film, but with opposite orientation(90degrees from original orientation to reverse the image of how lcd works. if you are having trouble understanding..google how lcd works...

#32 ·
The film i installed hasnt moved any so far. The film will make the screen appear black. And then the numbers(speed) will show up in whatever color the leds are under the lcd. I have white, so my speed shows in white. So in theory it should work with other colors. Experiment, try it out, and let us know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.