Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Time to Rebuild

29K views 93 replies 40 participants last post by  memaxnda600 
#1 · (Edited)
It's time to jump back on the horse. I wrecked 5 days ago and wanted to turn in my keys for good...but after taking some time to deal with the accident, I have come to view the wreck as a big learning experience. Thank you all for the encouragement and support to get my head back in the game. First wrecks are such a big mental hurdle to get over, and this build is exactly what I need right now

So here we go.

Took a few quick picture of the bike as it sits, and began removing the old and cracked fairings.

Some of the useful stuff I'll be posting on Craigs

Thanks for stopping by, more pictures to come.

Got these bad boys ordered :ciao:

See less See more
#2 ·
good choice on the fairings:shakehand

you'll be glad you did decide to rebuild. Two years ago i was in the same position. Had just bought a bike, wrecked two days later. I had a shiit load of road rash and said i was done.. three months later I had a total frame swap done..

the biggest issue i had was actually riding the bike after it was fixed. I was afraid I was going to wreck again. Take it slow, spend a lot of time in a big empty parking lot practicing braking and slow speed turning. that really helped me.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanx Brute, you're the man! And the set up on ur re-build was my inspiration!

Other Miscellenaious items on the way:
Battery Tender (just incase it takes a while)

Right Side Foot Peg (Shattered mine)

New Grips + Bar ends

New Mirrors

Right Side Clip on

OES Replacement Frame Slider- Right side only.

#8 ·
Got some parts in the mail!

Battery Tender ( a must, last thing I want is a stale battery once all is said and done)
Right Peg
Mirrors
Right Clip-On
Bar Ends
Grips

Ran out of sunlight and had some stuff pop up that I had to attend to tonight, but I got in there and disconnected all of the lighting. Also peeled off the red time attack. Not a good match for the new matte black and gold fairings on their way Break light is off, head lights are disconnected, HID low beam kill switch snipped *tear...so proud of that little switch lol* got the flush mounts removed. All I need to do is disconnected the blue and grey connections and the front will be off. Once I get the front off, I'll get the clip on installed. That and the right peg are my projects for the week. I'm a newb, so I'm taking it nice and easy doing one little thing at a time. Thanx for looking guys, heres some pics.

Shout out to SuuScbr for all the help getting me started!

Thanx for looking guys! More pictures to come this weekend.:ciao:

#9 ·
Went to Freight Harbor and capitalized on the sale the they had today. Picked up a 1/2 inch drive torque wrench, a huge socket set, dremel, soldering iron and wire spool, 1/2 to 3/8 and 3/8 to 1/4 conversion set, and zip ties for less than 70 bucks =D Got to work, ran into some problems but here's what I got done today.

Front End if off!! Those blue and grey connections were a PITA but I got the front end off, looking forward to redoing the HID set up and getting a nice clean install of the flush mounts. Taking the front fairing off by the stay bar is the way to go.

Tried to install the clip on, but ran into some troubles with that big 30MM nut. I set the torque on the wrench and gave it a pull and the nut didn't budge at all... so I couldn't get the clip on install. Time to do some research. Here's what the clip on looks like...lol

Right side foot peg replaced!

Two Brothers Slip On removed. I'll be taking it to a muffler shop to get it cut, re-welded and straightened out.

Couldn't get this damn thing off..

Any pointers? Spun it to the left, hand my buddy hold down the front end so it wouldn't turn...

#10 ·
Before I took the MSF class I tries TI reach myself on a dirt bike (just to get the hang of shifting gears and what not) first time out, in first gear, I ran into the neighbors house! Decided right then (after I woke up in the hospital) that I would learn to ride and actually own one!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

#11 · (Edited)
Took of years of electrical tape cleaned up all of my wiring harnesses. They looked like crap from poor taping. Also took this as an opportunity to do some heat shrinking and soldering. Found a new home for my HID ballast in that compartment between the highlights. I had them zip tied on top of my intake tubes which was kind of ghetto and made the ram air covers look really tight when everything was bolted back up

Now I just need to pick up some M/F connectors from Ace tomorrow and my lighting is all set and ready to go when my fairings get in. Finally took my headlights out of the nose fairing. Feels good to not look at that huge crack...one step forward in the right direction. Coming slowly but surely. That damn hidden 5th both behind the BAS sent me on a while goose chase. Thanks for looking

#12 ·
New Bolt Kit from BikeBolts.com

Very impressed by the quantity and quality of this bundle. Comes with a very through map for every bolts position. Got gold bolts to compliment the gold emblems on my matte black and gold fairings.

#14 ·
Triple tree bolt finally budged. Had to turn the wheel all the way over to the left, wedged it against the wall and used a breaker bar, and she came right off! Here are some pics of the clip on swap, thanx for looking guys!

#15 ·
New subframe has been shipped from Suuscbr and will be arriving shortly, will be working on getting the stripped subframe bolts this week and will have some pictures to show you guys once everything is out.
Wish me luck!:cruising: <---- I can do that now because both clip-ons are back in business lol

#16 ·
Got some big work done tonight! Swapped the new subframe over, got the lock cylinder swapped over, installed and straightened my Two Brothers slip on. Motofans has shipped my fairings, should be wrapping up my re-build a few days after they deliver. Here are some pics from the work I did tonight.

Subframe:

My subframe was bent beyond repair, and after doing some research and talking to SuuScbr, I came to the conclusion that replacing the subframe would be a much better alternative to trying to straighten it. I ran into a big roadblock when I found out the previous owner stripped the bolts on the inside of the subframe, putting me in a big bind. I had to pull the tank to reach the subframe bolts, but once I got the tank pulled, getting the subframe bolts drilled out using an extractor kit was a piece of cake.

New Subframe (Thank you SuuScbr for finding this and shipping it to me!)

That damn stripped subframe bolt....

Tank pulled- I didn't want to deal with disconnecting the fuel lines, so I just had my buddy hang on to it for me while I worked around it. The 6 pack of Newcastles was a great incentive :drunk: lol

Subframe pulled

#17 ·
Exhaust:

Before

After:

Loosened up the 4 bolts on the back of the slip on, thankfully the PO's laziness saved my slip on. Only 2 of the 4 bolts were in tact at the time of my wreck, so the exhaust twisted and there was no damage done to the actual slip on. I loosened up the 2 bolts in the back using a #5 allen wrench and straightened it out. Easy peezy, cost me $2.13 for 4 new bolts, got them tightened down real good. Take a look

New subframe installed and slip on straightened out:

Subframe Before:

Subframe After:

Old subframe removed and ready to be parted out

Thanks for looking guys! :ciao:

#18 ·
lookin good my man! I wish I had the money to buy a wrecked CBR and rebuild it into a complete custom thing...I saw where a guy did a "iron man" hyosung that turned out to look pretty brutal! he took the subframe completely off and it was just SICK...I'd like to make a CBR into a show bike like that, IF I had the money for an extra one!

this bike sold on EBAY for $2,500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CRAZY!

#20 ·
LOOKING AWESOME BRO!!!!!

Glad everything snapped together, Ill respond to your pm tonight,

take a pic of the bike as a whole how it sits now, like a wrecked pic and a awaiting farings pic,

good job!!! Told you, you could do it, hahahaha

#21 · (Edited)
Motofans fairings are the last thing I am waiting for. The fairings shipped April 5th, anyone know how long it takes the fairings to show up once they ship?

Here she is, ready for fairings

4 Weeks Ago

Today:

#22 ·
^ i actually ordered the exact same set from motofans a month or two ago and haven't received em yet (well they're a bday present from a friend so maybe she's just waiting til the 17th to hand em over). but the bike is looking GOOD! glad to see you're putting in the work to get it running again.

#24 ·
CDG just shipped these! Looking forward to installing them this week. Check it out

No Flash: Nice rich gold color with flakes, very impressed

With Flash: Very bright and reflective but does not look yellow, which was my biggest concern, it has a bright radiating gold look to it. Install pics coming soon.

#28 ·
Lol most definitely man the project has cost a little over 1000 bucks so far. The subframe and fairings made up for 750 of it.. lol. The rest of the little miscellaneous nick-nacks added up very quickly as well. Thankfully, I saved big time on tools. Harbor Freight made it possible for me to get a torque wrench, full socket set, adapters, full allen wrench set, dremel and soldering iron for less than 100 bucks.

Thanks for taking a look guys :shakehand

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.