Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Pondering Chain Guard Removal.

4K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  mran556 
#1 ·
It's a rainy day here and I've been thinking about removing the ugly plastic chain guard.Just wondering if many people on here have done it and is it a bad? I just want to make sure there's no chance of anything getting caught in the chain and whatnot.I think it'll look alot better.Let me know what you think.

Thanks..

#7 ·
i took mine off and its fine

#9 ·
Mines off, no problems here.

#10 ·
i never had one, you probably wont get anything caught in there...(unless you wear some jnco 20in cuff pants or something of that nature.) + 1 on the honda polish, you will fling some chainwax. the polish takes it right off (honda polish = magic in a can)

#22 · (Edited)
I think it'll look alot better.Let me know what you think.

Thanks..
It will look a lot better maybe. However I believe here in Australia it is illegal to not have a chain guard.

Also, if the chain breaks, the guard may help to deflect the chain away and stop it from cutting up your leg.

It will also stop any crap flying up onto the tail.

ADR rules state:

If the engine power of a motorcycle is transmitted to the rear wheel by a chain, the driver and any
passenger must be protected from the front sprocket and at least the upper part of the chain by:
# The frame or equipment of the motorcycle; or
# A chain guard.
A chain guard must cover the chain to a point:
# At least 300mm to the rear of the rearmost foot rest; or
# Above the centre of the rear drive sprocket.

Pretty sure the stock guard isn't 30cm past the rear foot peg?

#23 ·
Damn 11 years in the making amazing. Someday we will get this chain guard sorted?

Side note i wanna take the rear hugger off but i heard any rocks it kicks up will deflect of the rear exhaust send them back down in the other direction than the wheels spins causing my tire to shred?

#25 ·
doesnt really make sense, you can say the same thing about hitting the hugger and flying back to the tire in much shorter distance. lol i took mine off but my bike is track only

#26 ·
Maybe for the 03. I got a 07 ive heard the wind tunnel testing on that rear hugger creates a different vortex because of turbulence idk. Just doesnt same safe ha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.