So.. When I woke up this morning, I had every intention of having the bike finished today.
Alas, 'twas not meant to be...
After getting the rim tape done, and tidying up the last few bits and pieces, I went to start pulling the fairings back out of the box that I had so delicately (and with enormous padding) stored them in.
At this point in time I stumbled across my front upper cowl, only to remember something I'd posted about when I first received them.....
I'd totally forgotten about the overspray on the inside of the front fairing. FAAAAARRRRRRKKKKKK.
At this point in time, it was about 4:30pm... so I made a mad dash to the hardware store.....for these.
A can of quick dry undercoat, and quick dry "vivid white" - the closest I could find to the fairings themselves.
The theory is that with two coats of undercoat, and another few coats of "vivid white" I can have the entire inside of the front fairing suitable for public consumption.
At this point I started masking off the fairings so that (unlike the guys in China who made my fairings) I wouldn't overspray...
The Product of approx. 1 hour worth of masking
The outside edge of the fairing was by far the most painstaking to tape up. I wanted to ensure a clear edge where it will transition from the white on the underside, to the blue on the front side.
Also need to remember to tape up the two headlights, the "third eye" as well as the rear-view mirror holes and winscreen holes.
(You can see in the picture above that it was actually easier to stuff the windscreen holes with a bit of rolled up fabric. This allows you to spray right up to the edge of the hole, unlike taping over the hole, which will leave a small unpainted ring around the hole.
So far I have two coats of undercoat on the inside of the fairing which has adequately covered the blue overspray.
Tomorrow's task it a light sand back using 1200 grit wet/dry sandpaper, then two or three coats of the "vivid white".
At that point I can then get the fairings on the bike :)
Stay tuned for more pics!