Then came along bargain #2....a genuine, brand new, still boxed swingarm complete with brand new bearings fitted for £80 delivered !! (list price £1300) I just had to have it.
Before fitting the new shock, I contacted a suspension genius I know in Oz called Zenodamper (CBR600RR’s are a speciality of his, look him up at http://www.zenodamper.com.au/
) to get some good base settings. Even when the guy is the other side of the world, he still took the time to give me the relevant starting points. With them all dialed in, I fitted the shock in.
I then removed the shock.....
Fitted the hugger, and refitted the shock
From here, it was a case of one thing leads to another. With a shiny shock sitting in a shiny new swingarm, I couldn't just chuck my tatty looking rear wheel back in, so, along with the front wheel, they were both resprayed.
A couple of years ago, when I bought the bike, it came with a load of spares....well it turns out that there was a pair of brand new later model discs (identical to the earlier ones, but gold centres, not black), so they were fitted. I also fitted some rim tape (an indication of the new colour scheme that will be appearing in the near future) and got my latest scrubs put on too.
A good look at the bearings (one of the things on my list of things that I actually wanted to change) found that all the wheels have good bearings, but not the sprocket carrier. A call to Honda reveals that there are two bearings and they are nearly £20 each, so back onto ebay and a complete carrier from an 08 model with minimal milage was brought for a much more wallet friendly £8...complete with a 40 tooth sprocket. It has the added bonus of looking a darn site better than the old scabby one it replaces, especially when I chucked on a new Renthal 42 tooth sprocket.
Whilst digging out the new discs from the shed, I also found these
Thought it would be rude not to use them, so they got stuck on.
At this time, I was still in search of something for the forks. Research found that off the shelf parts were limited to springs and new oil. There was always the option of a revalve etc, but I wasn't really sure.
Before refitting the front sprocket, that was given the wire brush treatment too. A new 15 tooth Renthal also joins the spares box, but I'm starting off with 14 (2 down) and 42 (standard rear). Another bargain turned up in the shape of a brand new boxed AFAM 41 tooth sprocket for £1. So the lot gives me 14/15 front and 40/41/42/44 rear, so I think I'm sorted for gearing.
More searching in the shed found me a brand new DID gold chain, so with the help of my mate Dave and his new chain tool, that was fitted along with some new chain adjuster bolts and circlips (well, I couldn't use old bolts in the new swingarm could I)
Then, from out of the blue, I spot something on a forum that I just had to have...thought that it would finish the bike off a treat........