Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Impalenthelen's 07 track refresh/build

14K views 79 replies 22 participants last post by  Impalenthelen 
#1 · (Edited)
I just picked up a 07 600rr track bike in less than stellar condition. It has 13k miles on the clock (1500 track miles) and nice set of mods already installed but it has been neglected. I aim to change that.

Bike in the condition i recieved it:

After a wash, lots of work to do:

Already installed list includes: race glass in rough condition, bt-003r tires (190/55 rear), Leo vince full system, k&n filter, vortex rearsets, vortex clipons, steel brake lines up front, slipper clutch, geared -1/+3.

Bike in the condition it is in this morning:

Lots of scrubbing, cleaning, greasing, and tweaking to be done this winter! Already completed: Most of the teardown, oil changed, air filter cleaned, exhaust leak fixed.

List of coming soon items: Power commander, levers, full body rework including paint, and i'm sure i will find some other things i can't live without, stay tuned!

See less See more
#2 ·
Got busy in the shop for a couple hours today. Broke down the triples to clean and grease the steering head bearings. Got that old nasty dry grease out of there that i'm sure has been there since it was first assembled. Put some nice fresh waterproof belray in it's place.

Put the front end all back together and spent some time on the vortex clipon setup. After some careful lever placement and some shaving of the stock plastic faring stay i have lock to lock clearence!

#7 ·
Well "crash" I try not to "crash", lol

I say it was neglected because the simple things that need to be done to keep a bike in good shape were not being done. He only had it for a short time, not long enough to ruin it but that is the direction it was going. She's gona be pretty when I'm done!

#9 · (Edited)
Got a couple parts in this week, finally had a chance to install them yesterday. Thanks to 600rr.net and the great people here for the deals and info.

First off, HRC 1/6 turn throttle tube

And installed

Pretty easy install considering i have the bike all tore down. I did have to adjust the throttle cables at the throttle bodies.

And the PCIII

And installed

Also greased up all the shock and swingarm pivots and removed a couple more parts that i will never need again.

Horn and Headlight/blinker/horn controls

Good half day in the shop!

#12 ·
I will take some close up pics and post them. I gained most of the clearance by running the master as far inside as i could. Had to adjust the brake lines coming off the master because they were hitting the fork leg. Just messed with everything several times to get as mush clearance as i could, then shaved about a quarter inch off of the fairing stay to get lock to lock. If you look close in the pic of the installed throttle tube you can see the grey parts where i shaved it.

I may still have some issues with my hands hitting the sides of the tank but at least i won't be accidentally locking the front brake.

#14 · (Edited)
The area on the fairing stay I shaved to create a little more clearance.

What it looks like with the bars turn left all the way to the lock.

View of the brake lines with the bars turned left to the lock.

View of brake lines with the bars turned right to the lock.

It is really tight in there with these vortex clipons. Hopefully it all feels good in motion cause it's set up perfect on the stands.

#18 ·
Finally! Got some more work done today and she can start going back together. First off, checked the valves, everything was good! Most measured dead on. Two were on the tight side but still within spec.

The important parts:

And then there's the spark plugs. Take this as a lesson boys and girls, if you have an aftermarket air filter and a aftermarket full exhaust system you NEED fuel managment of some kind. Bike had been running very lean:

Anyway, just the bodywork and a couple bolt ons left to go.

#20 ·
Is the plug grey on top, or is taht the shine from the camera? How bad is the electrode?
That is not shine, that is the color of the residue, grey going towards white. Tip of the electrode about the same. The bike was run like that for about 1500 miles. Scary stuff

#21 ·
Well little good and bad update today. First the good, a couple gb racing bits:

Then there is the bad, she runs like crap! Shake down ride today was no good. Motor has a miss or a tick or a knock, whatever you want to call it. No power whatsoever! My buddy thinks it is running on 3 cylinders, no that he mentioned it she does kind of sound like a twin, lol. I got alot to check, could be bad gas as it is at least 2 1/2 months old, could be a pinched vac line, could be a coil, could be a bad plug and on and on it goes. One thing though, I am not getting a fi light or any other light for that matter. Can I eliminate any of the items I mentioned with this info??? What causes the fi light to come on??? Next time I get in the shop she gets fresh gas then I will establish if it is firing on all cylinders and go from there. Ideas on things to check would be greatly appreciated.

I hate this searching for the problem crap!!! I'm a tell me what is wrong and I'll fix it guy, I'm not historically good at finding it. I don't have anybody to take it to either my bikes have been fudged by everybody I've ever taken them to so I just do it all now. Anyway, rant over.

Cliff notes: my new track bike is being a headache

#25 ·
it was the power comander. Guess that wasn't such a good deal after all. I think I will hook it back up one more time just to verify though. I didn't find any bad connections or anything wrong while I was doing this troubleshooting but I just want to be sure I found the exact problem

#26 · (Edited)
And verified. I reinstalled the pc3 and lost number 2 cylinder again. It is most definately a bad power comander. I inspected the wires for that plug and I don't see any issues. Guess I learned my lesson. Don't buy used electrical parts.

#27 · (Edited)
The pc3 has, as the dynojet guy called it, a channel turned off. It is only reading like it has 3 plugs. I will be shipping it to them tomorrow and they are going to fix it for 25 bucks. Would have been nice if I would have known it had issues. Shouldn't be a big deal financially but it sure is a headache. Be very cautious when buying used electrical parts. I won't do it again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.