Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Rad's 600RRB X-Ray Build Thread

90K views 725 replies 56 participants last post by  shinfo 
#1 · (Edited)
After being inspired in many ways by this forum I have finally decided to start my build thread. First, I would like to say thank you to the following members whom inspired me; I appreciate their continuing help throughout, and not just with regards to the modification aspect but riding and other things as well. Ryan (Ry6rr), Swan-rr5, Dave (CBRTime), Misti Hurst, Moeman, 1/4milemilecrazy, SuuScbr and .b0link.

I bought the bike with a Two Brothers Carbon fibre Black Series slip on in addition to RR frame sliders which I was told are made by Honda.

Stock (to me):

DSC_0369 by SurgeRR, on Flickr

The sliders were not bad, but due to the high mounting points they didn't save the lower part of the bike as much as I would have liked.
I have low sided twice so far and looking to keep that number constant, one on each side and attached are pics of the damage for reference.
I also removed the passenger pegs, but I am considering putting the right footpeg back on to provide a bit of protection to the brake reservoir in the case of an accident.

Right side pro-crash by SurgeRR, on Flickr

engine cover1 by SurgeRR, on Flickr

Left side pro-crash by SurgeRR, on Flickr

20121130_154649 by SurgeRR, on Flickr

I purchased Tripage's STD light with integrated tail lights and the fender eliminator; I have yet to receive them. Hopefully it won't be too long now.
I don't like the fact that the exhaust isn't perfectly in line with the tail and Ihave seen many bikes with different exhausts suffering from the same problem.

20121130_154713 by SurgeRR, on Flickr

I plan on removing the lower heat shield to reveal the midpipe when the Tripage light is here so it can be a one time job.

-----

I added stickers to increase HP throughout major points on the bike and will be removing some since the power is just too much to handle at this point. Also the NBA reservoir sock allows the bike to make sudden surges when needed.

20121219_213419 by SurgeRR, on Flickr

Just so you know this will not be one of those lightning fast threads where a new part arrives every 5 days and is installed in 30 mins followed with instant pics. My mods will be well thought off and I will take my time and hopefully exercise enough discipline to make the best choices for my bike and myself.

Modification List:
Note that I haven't decided on the brands for certain modifications so only the part will be in the list until I decide and update it.

Current Mods:
Two Brothers carbon fibre Black Series (midpipe included)
RR frame sliders
CF design Harri's performance grips
Removed passenger pegs
Removed swingarm stickers
Removed upper heatshield
Redesign OEM fairings
GB racing covers

Future Mods:
Stompgrips/Techspec Snakeskins (depending on availability)
CF parts
Remove lower heat shield
DDM HID 35W 5000K
-1/+2 Chain conversion
PCV/Bazzaz
R&G cotton reels
R&G crash Protectors
S20 Bridgestone tyres
Brembo SC brake pads
Stainless steel braided lines
Standard length brake/clutch levers
Tyre marker
Rim tape
HRC CF Tankpad
CF gauge cluster cover
Triple yoke cover
Gear Indicator
Rearsets
Slipper clutch
Radiator guard

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
CF design Harri's Performance Grips

I bought some CF design grips which seem to be great quality, they are 'Harri's Performance' and manufactured by Ariete. Only thing is you have to cut out space for the bar ends yourself. I started with the left grip and unfortunately cut too much so part of the bar end is visible but it could have been worse. I might file the bar ends a bit or just leave it as it is. Thankfully the right side came out perfect. I really like the appearance of these grips and they seem like they can last for a very long time. I Haven't ridden with them yet though. Installation was painful but not impossible. I didn't slice the OEM grips, I removed them using alcohol swabs and a screwdriver.

Grip comparison by SurgeRR, on Flickr

New CF Grips by SurgeRR, on Flickr

20121219_213410 by SurgeRR, on Flickr

20121219_213348 by SurgeRR, on Flickr

UPDATE: After riding with the new grips for a while, I realized they do a very good job at reducing vibration. Usually after a 2 hour ride my hands are still vibrating but when I got off for the first time using these grips I didn't realize any. So a recommended product based on bith its form and function.

#3 · (Edited)
GB Racing Covers

I received the GB Racing covers a couple of days ago and I must say I thought I would be holding something a little more than plastic, albeit high-tech plastic . I am not criticising the product in anyway, it just didn't seem like it would do much in a crash and that it would probably shatter into a million pieces. Now the fact that WSBK teams use them has to either mean GB Racing pays for this, or that the product is exemplary and the fact that it can protect the bike whilst still being this thin and light is a testament to the deserved reputation of GB Racing. Either way, I hope I never have to crash test them, they definitely improved the looks of the bike as opposed to the OEM crash damaged covers. I must admit I would have preferred color accented Woodcrafts but with the service and reputation of GB Racing, I didn't look back.

After modifying the fairings and fitting the GB Racing covers; here is the end result:

The bike went from this:

Right side pro-crash by SurgeRR, on Flickr

to this:

20121223_193010 by SurgeRR, on Flickr

20121223_193020 by SurgeRR, on Flickr

Left side:

Left side pro-crash by SurgeRR, on Flickr

20121223_201201 by SurgeRR, on Flickr

20121223_201225 by SurgeRR, on Flickr

#4 ·
thanks for the shout-out Rad :thumbup:

this thread will be good, I'm already liking the modified fairing & GB covers. I prefer to see some of the engine.

your mod list looks good, a radiator guard is a very good idea, I wish I'd thought of that years ago because my radiator looks like $hit now.

might I suggest blacking out the swingarm & subframe? I think it would tie in with the rest of the bike better than the silver, but thats just me. maybe ditch that heat shield for the mid-pipe? I (along with countless others) have done it with no ill effects, but I live in a colder country than you so maybe worth investigating first.

keep the shiney side up from now on :shakehand

#6 ·
thanks for the shout-out Rad :thumbup:

this thread will be good, I'm already liking the modified fairing & GB covers. I prefer to see some of the engine.

your mod list looks good, a radiator guard is a very good idea, I wish I'd thought of that years ago because my radiator looks like $hit now.

might I suggest blacking out the swingarm & subframe? I think it would tie in with the rest of the bike better than the silver, but thats just me. maybe ditch that heat shield for the mid-pipe? I (along with countless others) have done it with no ill effects, but I live in a colder country than you so maybe worth investigating first.

keep the shiney side up from now on :shakehand
No prob Swan you earned it. :shakehand

I plan on removing the lower heat shield to reveal the midpipe when the Tripage light is here so it can be a one time job.
Check! Certainly plan on doing so, might even look for some black thermal wrap, but I have a feeling the midpipe color will go well with the bike. If I do have trouble with the heat in the summer, I could get the heat shield powdercoated but black wouldn't exactly be the smart choice so I'll just have to wait and see. I am still looking for a decent powdercoater here, the second I find him I will get both swingarm and subframe painted in a heartbeat. I really just want to stick to orange, black, grey and CF; which means there is a lot I need to do.

I bet your ride is cray fast now with the added hp from the stickers! Haha

Lookin good man.
:cruising::banger:

#11 · (Edited)
Thanks. You can actually fit the covers beneath the fairings but since my fairings were already damaged and I wanted to expose a bit of mechanical muscle, I opted to cut the fairings and expose some of the engine.
Win-win situation.

Ah sorry mate, i missed that part of your post
:shakehand:

#12 ·
nice thread radrage. I have a question man, how did you modify your lower fairings to get rid of that part that covers your engine? I have the 12 cbr and i want to get rid of them for ones that show the engine since mine covers them. How exactly did u do it? Did u cut them yourself?

#14 ·
Thanks. Yup, I cut them myself.

After removing that part of the fairing, I thought very carefully about where I want the cut. I even thought about marking it with a marker but opted not to at the last second. I started by using a knife and then realized it wouldn't work unless I had gargantuan patience. So I picked up a kitchen scissor, a sturdy one. I made the cut and made sure to do it very carefully so as to not crack or break the fairing. It is not that difficult, just take it slowly, and take breaks because you will need them. Most importantly, visualize the line you want before you start the cut. Let me know if you need any other details.

Hi,

Sorry it's taken so long for me to get back to you, been off the forum for a while with it being December and all. Try and send the video to nazdude@gmail.com.

Thanks.
I was wondering where you disappeared to; I'll send you the stuff soon.

#15 · (Edited)
Tripage Smoked IT with Brake Flasher Relay

And finally, here is the moment I have been waiting for. My bike without the 'monstrosity' as one member here put it, that is the stock fender.

After installing Tripage's smoked IT and removing the fender I looked at the bike with a big grin on my face, it looks better, much better. Thanks T. I can slip 2 pieces of A4 paper between the light and the exhaust, hopefully after I fiddle around with the exhaust I can increase the distance between them to avoid any potential damage. I have yet to install the license bracket; that will take me a couple of days as I am not digging the drilling process but will hopefully get past it.

Now it's time to give the bike a major wash.

20130117_193343 by SurgeRR, on Flickr

20130117_193352 by SurgeRR, on Flickr

20130117_193305 by SurgeRR, on Flickr

20130117_193240 by SurgeRR, on Flickr

20130117_193233 by SurgeRR, on Flickr

#18 ·
Re: Rad Rage's Modification Thread

Thanks guys. Let me clarify, I bought the adjustable tag bracket already from Tripage. Just a matter of removing the lower exhaust bracket and drilling holes in it to mount it on, and finally attach the license plate.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#24 · (Edited)
Thanks for the B-Day wishes guys, much appreciated. Looking forward to more parts arriving in the not so distant future.

Yup Mina, I'm having a hard time restraining myself on that mod particularly since I decided to use my OEM sprockets a bit longer so that the experience post mod, would be that much better.

#25 · (Edited)
Also the NBA reservoir sock allows the bike to make sudden surges when needed.
This is a sweet mod. I want my bike to be just as agile and make sudden surges like yours. Where can I get one?

Also, your NBA player apears to be an acrobat. Did you have to pay extra for that option? :toothy2:

That rear brake reservoir hanging out there would worry me a little.
Do you have plans on getting the HRC reservoir, CR450 Master, or a G Craft res?
It would clean it up a bit and make it a bit safer.

#28 ·
This is a sweet mod. I want my bike to be just as agile and make sudden surges like yours. Where can I get one?

Also, your NBA player apears to be an acrobat. Did you have to pay extra for that option? :toothy2:

That rear brake reservoir hanging out there would worry me a little.
Do you have plans on getting the HRC reservoir, CR450 Master, or a G Craft res?
It would clean it up a bit and make it a bit safer.
Acrobatic NBA player is an extra 81 bucks actually. But I think it's worth it :burnout:

Yeah, I don't like the way the rear reservoir looks, also a crash would probably snap it off. I was going to get the HRC reservoir soon but had to put it off for a bit, soon enough though.

Also thanks for the B-Day wishes Tater.

Damn I love your color scheme!!!
Orange bikes FTW!

#27 ·
Damn I love your color scheme!!!

Reactions: Rad Rage
#29 ·
Happy Late Birthday!!!!

#30 ·
happy late b-day bud.

I have another question about the fairing modification. Mine has sliders where the lower fairing would go, so even if I do cut them, I think its going to get in the way of the sliders.

Are there any other fairings that are compatible with the 09-12 models from previous models? Or do u recommend me to get new frame sliders like yours?

#32 · (Edited)

Firstly my current frame sliders are not enough since they don't protect the lower fairings as evident from the second and third pic in the thread. Now even though they are banged up they do have enough material in them for another drop that will God willing never happen. But to protect the lower part of the bike I purchased R&G crash protectors, the ones that require fairing modification and mount lower on the bike. I think you will have to cut the fairings either way if you want those ones. R&G do offer a hole saw to make the cut an easier process. But to be on the safe side check Ry6rr's thread, he had the original fairings as you and I do but then purchased and installed 09 lowers. Here's the holesaw.

#31 ·
happy late b-day rad,if your bracket is similiar to rs5,not a solid bracket,with mine i just got a small rectangular piece of ally to span the slots in bracket,put piece with couple of holes inside of strap with 4mm bolts dropped thru before tightening strap up and then just bolted tripage hinge on,no drilling of strap but whether you can do similiar with two bros i dont know,but either way its easy

#33 ·

Thanks for the wishes ash. I'll take another look at the bracket/setup and let you know if I need any pointers. Thanks for the tip :shakehand:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.