Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Jakes 2008 Yamaha R6 Race Build

18K views 104 replies 14 participants last post by  jacob92icu 
#1 ·
Probably should have started this when I picked up the bike, but better late than never.

Here is my new 2008 R6 for racing next year.

The only mods that I know it came with are as follows:

- Block of plates
- M4 slip on with Y pipe welded on (obnoxious, will be selling ASAP)
- ECU Flash by Bauce Racing, I have heard great things about him.
- 520 Conversion kit
- Ghetto Rigged Keyless Ignition
- Graves Clip Ons
- GB Racing Engine Covers
- Ohlins Steering Stabilizer (mount bolt broken off in frame)
- Stainless Steel Goodridge Lines

Heres some pictures the day after I got it home:

You cant see in these pictures but the whole bike is covered in black/silver overspray...

I got it off the truck and rolled it into the garage and it wouldn't start. Quickly diagnosed it to be a bad battery, so I shot down to Cycle Gear to pick up my favorite choice of battery:

The Shorai spun up that motor like it had never been spun before!!

That weekend after buying it I had a track day scheduled at the ridge.

Boy what a weekend. The day started out wet, but dried out for the mid morning-afternoon sessions. I started the day on the Honda and finished it out on the Yamaha. Such a hugeeee Improvement over the Honda... With the R6 not being anywhere near as set up as the Honda is for me I still managed to shave 3 seconds off my best time by the end of the day. Needless to say I am very excited for next season.

After the track day I learned there is a slight leak coming from one of the radiator hoses and the front left fork is leaking. Well now that I had it back home I took it to a local frame guru (Wasco Frame) to get the bolt drilled out and re-tapped, since it was far gone...

Wasco took a good minute getting it out (about a week) but did a great job and it works perfectly so far.

And now that I have it back from Wasco I have started to clean all of the over spray off with this stuff:

See less See more
#87 ·
Really late in updating this, but oh well! Had another good race weekend with Round 3 at the Ridge in Shelton Washington. Actually finished in my first podium position, 3rd. However; it did not count. I had 3 laps that were below the qualifier time, so I got disqualified. 1st, 2nd, and 4th place also got disqualified. Oh well, on to faster classes!

Heres a couple photos from the race weekend, and a fun video I made when we took a couple groms and a 450 to a gokart track. Check it out, like/subscribe/comment if you enjoyed it!

The clubman race that I got disqualified from can be found here:

#99 ·
What!!!! Wouldn't you want to be heard first? I mean ppl can't hear you blasting through the front straight or parking lot at bikenights with suspension upgrades D, what's up with that. Being a dad has soften you up bro, come on now.

Hehehe... Just messing with you. Btw I remember you last time.... Like long time ago when I used to hit palomar (dammm that was long time ago lol)

#104 ·
That is always a honorable choice, and most often the correct one :D

damn, Jake! Great build, great racing, awesome photos....you've come a long way my friend.
Haha thanks 6hunnit, appreciate it . I have been putting lots of time, effort, and money into racing this season, and I can definitely see the improvements. I am already in the front of the mid pack of experts, only 5 seconds behind the leaders, but it seems like so far away.. Just have to keep at it. I may have to start yet another build thread for my street r6/back up bike now.

#103 ·
damn, Jake! Great build, great racing, awesome photos....you've come a long way my friend.

#105 ·
Getting withdrawals from not racing/track riding at all in the past month so I decided to update this thread! Last round was a doozy, No amazing finishes, a couple top 10 out of 50's and the rest were around 15-20 out of 50 riders.

I had a mishap on the Friday track day where I ran off track at turn one, and managed to keep it up right in cold wet grass, but when I came back on and went to turn left I ended up using my motorcycle as a lawn mower. It was the weirdest loss of traction I had ever experienced, but came to the conclusion that shortly there after my tires were ice cold from the wet grass. I should have lolly gagged around the track for a while before trying to turn again, lesson learned!

My pit mate Mark ran into me from the back pretty hard in the 750SS race on Saturday which resulted in his demise and my subframe breaking :p All parties were ok. I ran off track but was able to keep it up right, Mark hit his brake lever on my tail section and folded the bike immediately (he has a brake lever guard now), and somewhere in between Mark ended up in my fender wheel area, and got his foot ran over all at the same time. The crash could have been a lot worse, so I am glad we are able to laugh and have a beer over it now.

After that I ended up putting my tail section back on using the good ol' zip tie and duct tape method. Cant even tell at 50' @ 120mph! Heres a couple choice shots from that weekend from my favorite photographer Dane! And my phone shots of the mishaps that weekend!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.