Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Jakes 2008 Yamaha R6 Race Build

18K views 104 replies 14 participants last post by  jacob92icu 
#1 ·
Probably should have started this when I picked up the bike, but better late than never.

Here is my new 2008 R6 for racing next year.

The only mods that I know it came with are as follows:

- Block of plates
- M4 slip on with Y pipe welded on (obnoxious, will be selling ASAP)
- ECU Flash by Bauce Racing, I have heard great things about him.
- 520 Conversion kit
- Ghetto Rigged Keyless Ignition
- Graves Clip Ons
- GB Racing Engine Covers
- Ohlins Steering Stabilizer (mount bolt broken off in frame)
- Stainless Steel Goodridge Lines

Heres some pictures the day after I got it home:

You cant see in these pictures but the whole bike is covered in black/silver overspray...

I got it off the truck and rolled it into the garage and it wouldn't start. Quickly diagnosed it to be a bad battery, so I shot down to Cycle Gear to pick up my favorite choice of battery:

The Shorai spun up that motor like it had never been spun before!!

That weekend after buying it I had a track day scheduled at the ridge.

Boy what a weekend. The day started out wet, but dried out for the mid morning-afternoon sessions. I started the day on the Honda and finished it out on the Yamaha. Such a hugeeee Improvement over the Honda... With the R6 not being anywhere near as set up as the Honda is for me I still managed to shave 3 seconds off my best time by the end of the day. Needless to say I am very excited for next season.

After the track day I learned there is a slight leak coming from one of the radiator hoses and the front left fork is leaking. Well now that I had it back home I took it to a local frame guru (Wasco Frame) to get the bolt drilled out and re-tapped, since it was far gone...

Wasco took a good minute getting it out (about a week) but did a great job and it works perfectly so far.

And now that I have it back from Wasco I have started to clean all of the over spray off with this stuff:

See less See more
#3 ·
Also I didnt like the look of the keyless ignition/faded upper triple so I swapped it out for the spare triple and good ignition with key that was thrown in with the deal:

I also noticed that the gas tank paint was in reasonable shape underneath the disgusting black and silver paint so I started rubbing away with the same cleaner used to clean everything else, so far so good... Have a long way to go though... Removed the fans from the radiator too.

Immediate plans for the bike are as follows:

- K&N air filter (installed)
- Stomp grips (already arrived)
- Vortex rearsets (arrived)
- Quick shifter (Got an HM Sub Harness + QS)
- Full titanium exhaust (got a full Leo Vince titanium)
- Samco hose kit (arrived)
- Reflash from Anthony (done and done)
- Cartridge kits and race shock (ordered and received GP suspension 25mm cartridge kits and Penske triple clicker rear)
- New front and rear sprockets since the current set up is wayyyy to tall. (arrived)
- Motion pro throttle (arrived)
- Fuel Cel gas tank protectors
- New paint job (in the works)

Along with lots of other stuff yet to come...

#4 ·
Installed the K&N air filter. There was a small hole in the top of the airbox cover that I did not approve of, so a little while ago I picked up a new one on ebay.

Out with the old in with the new!

All buttoned up, and with the addition of the new top air box I didn't even have to clean it! But as you can see, the area under the gas tank is extremely dirty... Ill have to get to that another day... I will have to take the whole air box out again later anyways to install the motion pro throttle.

I also threw the tail on for a couple teaser pics of the new paint job that I am throwing together. And the hardest part of the night, installing the reservoir sock!! Thanks again Mani!

#6 ·
Agghhhhh i want a r6 for the track so bad!!!

#9 ·
Thanks Diego! I started noticing the differences the second I got on it during that track day! Full tuck is 1000 times easier and more natural feeling for one thing. I have gp suspension 25mm cartridge kits ready to be installed along with a penske triple clicker rear shock. Not really looking forward to installing the penske! I have heard it is a pain in the butt on the R6's...

#22 ·
40°s this time of year is shorts and hoodies weather around these parts. Had a high of 12° the other day. Fahrenheit. TWELVE DEGREES MOTHEREFFING FAHRENHEIT!!!!

People should never live where it's 12° anything....

#23 ·
Enjoying this thread. I myself bought an 09 R6 a month ago but will not be doing any mods till I have paid off my car and have proper track gear. I need to upgrade my suit to a 1 piece and need better protecting boots. Mods in 2017...this is getting to know my new track queen year.

And I know why you are posting here. The R6 forum is soooooo pathetic. Very little traffic and not much information in the threads. If you have never been on another bike forum you have no idea just how good this one is.

#28 ·
And now that I have it back from Wasco I have started to clean all of the over spray off with this stuff:

hey where did u buy this?? do you think it would take off red spray paint from gold forks?

#33 · (Edited)
is there a reason why or will it eat up the seals? im taking my suspension to sb suspension after work ill see how bad they wanna rape me, might have to stick with the black forks i currently have the 30mms in altho i really want the gold ones..

Jake sry for kinda jacking your thread if you want ill delete some of the posts. im just jelly over that r6 lol

#37 · (Edited)
It's actually not much different. If you were to run super bike and you could throw a slipper into it it would be on par with the r6's for sure. Even with out a slipper you can make it work if you do your downshifts later, but I really like getting all my downshifts out of the way quickly.

#35 ·
What Jake said. Too aggressive. I think the Citrus stripper is better than other strippers, but still harsher than you need. Put the time and effort in using the stuff Jake suggested, and don't risk damaging the seals or the finish on the forks.

Reactions: jacob92icu
#38 ·
Got the Penske shock and Vortex rearsets mounted up today. I was determined to find a cleaner way of mounting the remote reservoir than to the side of the subframe as it was meant to be. I found a good way while utilizing the "lightning bolt mount" that comes with the shock, and replacing one of the battery tray bolts with a longer bolt and nut combo.

#39 ·
Did some more work today. Cleaned up and rerouted all of the wires in the front to run inside the frame underneath the air box, relocated the regulator rectifier, put new plugs in, installed the motion pro throttle, and threw on the vortex brake lever guard (dont mind the clearance, should have asv shorties showing up tomorrow).

I am waiting on some heat tape to wrap the air box and new exhaust gaskets to install the headers before I put the front end back on. Next order of attack will be the Samco hose kit, possibly tomorrow.

#46 ·
Got the air box all wrapped in the heat resistant tape (it is a PITA). Also got the new chain and sprockets put on.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get around to installing the air box if I have time...

damn it now youre making me wanna do it lmao not gna lie the gold looks great.. might be a stupid question but whats the benefit of this?? :retard:

#51 ·
Yea basically everyone I talked to after buying the R6 does not have a title. Apparently my cbr was the only race bike with a clean title hahaha...

And thanks bro!

ok makes sense for a track bike, might have to copy this idea while the bikes apart. Hey can u post a pic of the bottom of the airbox if its still out
why not get a salvage way cheaper and legal for track
Yea I will post one in a sec :)

Holy hell man. Waiting for your next thread to say "Jacob's MOTOGP build".
Hahahaha... I wish! Do you have a face book double0??

#52 ·
Received my fuelcel tank protectors today. Since the R6's gas tank is vulnerable to damage from crashes due to not having a cover like the CBR's, it is highly recommended and most times required by your race organization. Well there are a couple different ways of protecting the impact areas of the R6's gas tank, I found the fuelcel protectors to offer the best protection so I picked em up!

I wrapped the bottom part of the gas tank also. And as requested got a picture of the lower half of the air box for Seksas, this was before I had completely finished wrapping it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.