Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Nuithari's Black 600RR

11K views 80 replies 15 participants last post by  Joshua Atkinson 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys

So since build threads are a thing, I thought it was fun to keep everything in one place, I thought I'd do the same.

I traded in my '98 CB600F Hornet after riding it for 3 years. I had a lot of fun on that bike, and learned a lot on it. But it was starting to fall apart. After testing a Street Triple Rx, a Daytone 675 and a CBR600RR, I decided to go for the latter.

2015 October 5th
I bought an 08 CBR600RR. First registered 07/2009, but it's an 08 model. Only had 9000km, and in overall good condition. Previous owner did drop it once. Little cosmeting damage to the clutch cover and frame slider. And a dealer sticker hid some scrathes on the rear fairing. It's minimal though.

Pics from the day I got it:

So it came pretty much stock. It did have the Hyper-Flo Exhaust, a Dark Windshield from Fabbri and some bikeDesign Frame sliders.

Can't explain how happy I was.
And how fast it is compared to the Hornet, holy crap! Unexpectingly blew it open when I just had it entering the freeway resulted in me hittigng 160km/h in second... this was followed by an "Oh Crap!!!!" , shifting up to 6th, and dropping back down to 120km/h - LOL

I like the Hyper-Flo btw. It sounds really deep, and I like the twin can look on the cbr. It IS really loud though, even with the sound cores in.
Already checked with trackday organisation, it shouldn't be a problem. Only dynamic measurements done along the home straight.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
October 31st
Took the passenger pegs off, and went for a little ride the day after.
As I got some nice reactions on the pics I took, I thought I'd share them here too :)

December 5th
Got my rearsets powdercoated at work, for the price of zero euros! gotta love that!

You can find how I prepped them etc in this thread.

Attachments

#3 ·
December 19th
Shorty levers came in! Brand? euh.... China... These are the one's I got: From AliExpress
They're nice though. Fit is good, a little more wiggling than OEM, but nothing bad.

December 26th
Flush Mounts came in. Brand? euh... China :p Got these: From AliExpress
This was actually the first time taking the fairings of. Was a little scared to brake some of the snaps off, but it's really easy!
Bad pic, It was dark.. winter. And she needed a clean, badly!

Attachments

#4 ·
January 12th
I saved the date... Even took a picture of it. I was PISSED!

Grrrr... Gum... It's the shifting peg, that foot never touches the ground, so this happened at work. I park 4m away from the front door. Along those 4m there are 3 thrash bins. Three! Yes, THREE. USE THEM!

Thankfully, powercleaner got it off rather well.
I was so pissed though ><

January 16th
Mirrors came in! You guessed it... China!
I really dislike the OEM mirrors... So wanted to get something else. Debated about getting the ones with the indicates in, but didn't want to rout wires all the way up to the front... I didn't mention this yet, but I'm lazy... Might still get those with the indicators though. The flush mount indicates aren't really visible from the front of the bike, so...
I noticed the bolts that hold the adapter plate onto the fairing are stuck good. And I mean really stuck. So I ended up just keeping the OEM adapterplates, and mounting the mirrors on that one. Works out, they keep a lower angle. The new adapter plate would've raised the mirrors too much.

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
January 20th
I got the wifey a cutting plotter for christmas. Thought I'd use it too :D

What do you guys think?

February 1st
Wheel striping. A bike is no bike without wheel striping.. Reflective... you know... for safety... Also got rid of the Monster stickers... Much cleaner now!

February 15th
Did the brake kit delete! Shamelessly stolen from this thread: 600rr.net
Gotta love the package it came in :D

Installed it, cut of the support brackets. I really like the look of it:

Might still get the PSR reservoir in the future, but for now, I'm happy!

Next up will be some plastidipping... Wanna do the subframe, or at least, the visible parts of it. Gotta wait for my damn back to restore first though :/

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
February 27th

So after waiting a week and a half, and payoing about 60% worth of import taxes.... I got my Stompgrips :D

Was actually laughing with my wife about the text on the packaging...
"Complete Installation instructions inside"
I was like "It's a ******* sticker... what kind of instructions do you need?"

So I open it up, take the manual. the first thing on it: "I'm not a sticker, don't treat me like one!"

Stompgrip had me, lol.

Anyways, I got the black bike specific version. Installation was fairly simple. had to peel of the left side once as I wanted it as symmetric as possible, but turned out fine. Hope they stick!

Attachments

#8 ·
First Track Day!

So it's been a while since I've posted in here.

I've had tons of issues with the res delete tube, but I'll post those later on.

More importantly, I just attended my very first track day! I did some on 4 wheels, and used to race gokarts, but it was the first time on track with a bike.
It was at Zolder, Belgium. It's a nice flowing track with lots of fluent corners, with some chicanes and a tight right hander thrown in the mix. Has some nice elevation changes too.

The organisation I went with is called Motorsportschool Zolder. As I'm a relatively new rider and since it was my firt time, I chose level one.
What happens is, all Level 1 riders, are divided into groups of 10. Each group gets 2 instructors, 1 goes in front, the other closes the group.
There are 5 track sessions of 20 minutes, 4 theoretical sessions where they explain more about riding position, track layout, racing lines, oh-****-buttons etc. Seemed perfect for me.
I was only worried about one thing, these track days are organised on "OEM exhaust"-days. So you need an OEM exhaust, or one with a DB-killer. Exhausts are measured Dynamically at the start-finish straight. I have a damn loud Hyperflo exhaust, so I was really worried to get black flagged...

I don't have a trailer or anything like it so I rode out to the track early in the morning. Even though I booked it in the middle of the summer to have a big chance on good weather, it was pouring...
I coulcn't pack much either, since I needed my rain gear with me.

So after a 45 min ride, I arrive at the track, find my way to technical inspection, everything's fine, I get my OK card, I go get my transponder and numbers, drop tire pressures to 2.2bar front, and 2.0 back, and I can go park the bike in the pitlane.
By then the rain stopped, but the track was very wet. I don't mind riding in the wet, but at the track.... I prefer the dry :p
Some free riders were at it at that time. This is when I witnessed my first bike crash, right then. About an hour before my first go... Really confidence inspiring :p Some dude locked the front braking for the first left hander, and hit the gravel. He was fine though.

After a short briefing on track safety and flags, we were off! Exited and equally scared to wreck my daily commuter, I got on the bike and did my best to follow the bike in front of me. The instructor forbade us to use the curbs and we couldn't make passes. we had to remain in the same order, and follow the bike in front. the track was really wet, not just damp or anything, properly wet. We didn't even complete our first lap as the session was red flagged. A rider of Level one, the group right in front of us, had touched his rear brake and lost the rear at the Terlaemen chicane. There went the last bit of confidence :p

When the session restarted, I was so damn cramped on the bike. And I really wasn't having fun... Session was over rather quickly, and we received the riding position training. As I looked outside, sun was coming out, and I had good hopes for the remainder of the day. theoretical session over, we went out again for the 2nd session. The track showed a dry line, but as we were riding out of the pits, it started to POUR again! FFS...
But even with the heavy rain, the dry(er) line gave me enough confidence to have fun, and I found it a lot easier to stay on the tail of the bike in front of me. There were more crashes too. In the morning, every single session had crashes across the diffrent levels. In level 1, we started out with 53 riders, only 47 made it through the morning.

We then had a theoretical session about the racing line, and staged of the corner, we had lunch (met some cool people), the sun came out for good, and then we were off for the last 3 sessions. Now these 3 were heaps of fun! The instructors were kicking up the pace every lap, and I felt more comfortable as I went faster and faster. The way the instructors teach is they use the straight bits to get to entry speed of the next corner, so in the early sessions, there's almost no braking. And since you see the instructor turning in at that certain speed, you know you should be able to make it too. As the day progresses, entry speeds get higher and higher, and towards the end top speeds start to go up, and braking commences.

It was an awesome day, and the bug bit me. I want more! Need new tires first though! It's amazing how a 20 minute session eats your tire away! I also noticed the front vibrates a lot under braking, probably some light disc warping, so might get new discs too. Bye bye bank account.

There was also a company shooting pictures, which I really appreciate:

Attachments

#10 ·
ha, thanks. And thanks for reading through it too :p

Yeah, Zolder is a really nice circuit! There are some other nice options around here: Mettet is said to be quite fun as well, and of course Spa-Francorchamps! Don't know if there are bike days on the latter though, should look it up!

#11 · (Edited)
Brake Res Delete... At Your Own Peril!

I thought I'd finally give an update on the Brake Res Delete I did.

March 8th 2016
The TKR kit I bought had a little piece of paper with a warning that their tube should be replaced every 3 months, or when it started sweating.
Well, after a month of hibernating in the garage, the tube was officially sweating:

Luckily, I had the foresight to order a couple of ft of Tygon tubing from Curveygurl. So I replaced it.

End of march
As it got a bit warmer and it was no longer freezing, I could wake the baby up from hibernation, and start riding again! What a feeling :D
So the rear brake was functioning well for the first couple of kilometers, but on the way back, I'd notice the rear brake was completely gone. Every few days, I'd re-bleed the rear brake system (have one of those vacuum pump things to do it) But every day was the same story.

I also noticed the brake fluid was basically spraying out of the vent hole on the top of the tube, against the exhaust... Luckily it didn't eat at the paint on there too much...
So it got me thinking... It makes sense, there's probably an airbubble that expands under heating, and pushes the fluid it the only way it can.
It also got me thinking the vacuum thing I have is probably worth ****, so I ordered a speed bleeder valve.

When the valve arrived, I drained everything again, and replaced the short bit of tygon tube by a long one of about a foot long, and attached it to where the passenger peg was mounted to the subframe. I figured if the tube was higher than the highest point of the brake line, bleeding would be a lot easier.
Bleeding with the valve was a whole lot easier. Seriously, by them, best couple of euros I've spent!
All was well after that. No more loss of rear brake!

But then...

WHAT THE??

After a couple of days, I noticed the tube itself hit the exhaust >< and yes, it melted. So I could replace it... AGAIN! I had no tubing left... For now, I just cut the tube right under where it was melted, so I have a short one again. It's been like this for months now, no issues.

I guess I learn slow, lol :p But it looks good :p

Black!
Also, I finally plastidipped the subframe yesterday! It looks really good. In retrospect though, the time it took me to tape everything off, I might as well have dismounted the whole subframe...

EDIT: Oh yeah, also fitted a new to me front right rotor as mine was warped from a tip-over. And a new front tire after the trackday. Went with a Dunlop Sportsmart 2. Like it so far!

Attachments

#12 ·
Yeah I think it's time for a PSR res. Thing is I don't think they make them in black which is what I'd do on that bike. I have a red one. And have also had rear brake issues ever since. Not quite sure what the problem is get. I replaced the rear master and that seemed to solve it for a week. But now I'm back to having very low brake pressure. Maybe a leak? I don't know. I've almost just given up on my rear brakes. But hey it does look clean! Lmao

#14 · (Edited)
Thanks!

So the next couple of mods I'm planning are steel braided brake lines.
And grips + quick -action throttle tube.

Now I know what I want for the lines and for the grips. (EDIT: Actually, I'm still not sure whether I'd go over the mudguard like OEM, or do 2 lines from M/C)
But for the tube, I'm looking around. I know there's a briljant thread around that shows how to mod your throttle housing to make it work. So I might do that, or buy an overpriced version with an already modded housing by TKRP so I can use the OEM cables.

Now, TKRP has 2 different tubes, and I was wondering if you guys could tell me which does what...
First is the HRC tube, I know for sure this is a quick action tube (1/6th ?) click

The second tube is what they call a short tube. no idea what it does... just a replacement for OEM? click

Any help is appreciated!

#18 ·
New stuff coming!

Ordered Hel brake lines, speed breeders, 1l of RBF600 (hope it's enough), bleeder covers, new shifter rod, and new Brembo RC pads for the front.

I had to order the Hel brake lines through the UK as the Dutch site wouldn't let me pay, so those will take the longest to arrive. So I hope to be able to do the modding around the 16th or smth...

I'll have a mate assisting me. Engineer and accountant doing mech work.... Talk about 4 left hands :p

Can't wait! Will be fun!

If you have any tips about bleeding the front, let me know.

#19 · (Edited)
So I installed the mods last saturday!

Got the following mounted:
Hel Steel Braided Brake lines: Carbon look, with stealth finishing.
Brembo SC pads in the front
RBF600 Brake Fluid

Everything went kinda smooth. Tuhe rear was done in about 15mins. The front end took about 2-3 hours. It was the first time me or my mate did anything like this, so it was kinda trial & error.
We struggled a bit with routing, and managing to bolt everything on without taking the fairings of. We also had a little leak because we didn't put a crush washer in between the 2 banjos at the M/C. DOH!

Ah well, we learned :p And it was fun too!

Also, I notice most people here rout the brake lines behind the forks. I routed them over the forks... The lines seem long enough, so it shouldn't be a problem. I like the look of it going over the forks though, kinda like the racebikes....

Brake feeling is SUCH a difference! A lot more bite, need way less lever travel too.

Next up: Sato Racing knock-off rearsets OTW! Was contemplating Vortex, but since these fake Satos are 1/4th the price, and get good reviews on here, I thought I might try these first.

Attachments

#22 ·
Also, I notice most people here rout the brake lines behind the forks. I routed them over the forks... The lines seem long enough, so it shouldn't be a problem. I like the look of it going over the forks though, kinda like the racebikes....

Brake feeling is SUCH a difference! A lot more bite, need way less lever travel too.
Yeah I had to run my lines over my forks for my Galfer GP's. The right side seem to be a little long so I secured it with a zip tie.

#20 · (Edited)
Hmmm I don't know about HEL lines but My Core-Motos most definitely did NOT route around the front of the forks like that.

EDIT: Just read the rest of your post and you seem to be aware it's not normal. Oh well as long as it doesn't cause any issues I don't see any issue with it I guess. It's just I've never seen anyone do that.

My Core-Moto line install was actually one of the easier things I've done to my bike. Kinda surprised myself haha.

#21 ·
Hmmm I don't know about HEL lines but My Core-Motos most definitely did NOT route around the front of the forks like that.
Well, actually, we were kinda on the fence about the routing. My mate was running his side behind the forks on his side, I routed it over the forks, motogp style. However, I noticed with those bikes' calipers, the brake lines fit on the very top of those calipers.

I then just did a little image search and the first pic I found was from Ten Kate's website. They run it over the forks, so I followed their example :p

#24 · (Edited)
No, they're loose all the way up to the bottom yoke. There, I have a clamp holding the 2 lines, then straight up to the M/C

Yeah I had to run my lines over my forks for my Galfer GP's. The right side seem to be a little long so I secured it with a zip tie.
Those are 1 line from M/C to a T-splitter on the bottom yoke right?

#32 ·
I love Ten Kate man!! they are the bomb!

If you wanna build you track bike, they have everything... You can even buy a complete race bike for almost the same price you would buy a new CBR, they would also teach you how to mangle with it.

I got myself in their email list and I get really tempting offers every now and then.

I got my set of BRAKING wave fully floating rotors for the funny ammount of €250, I still can't believe it... they normally cost double... :-/

Reactions: dixon cider
#35 ·
Grips & Quick Action Throttle

Thanks! Glad you like it!

So I received some new goodies yesterday:

Contents? Renthal Firm Grips, HRC Quick Action Throttle Tube, Pro-Bolt Bleeder nipple Covers and Black Shift Rod.

Installed the rod and covers right away last night. Attempted to install the tube too, but failed miserably, not enough slack.
I cut open the slot for the bottom cable, tried again today and it went on very easy now. 10 minute job.

Grips were easy too. WD40 to get them off, cleaned with brake cleaner, hairspray to get them back on.
Grips feel...grippy! can't wait to ride it like this!

The only thing I noticed is that the grips are a little long for the tube, and the tube has more lateral play, but nothing dramatic.

Attachments

#36 ·
For those wondering, this is how I trimmed the tube

Left is the stock tube, right the HRC one.

On the right, you can see how the slot for the bottom cable is closed at the top at one side.
This means yo uneed a lot of slack to be able to slot the ball-end from the side, rotate it so that the cable points upwards, and rotate it back agian.

I cut an opening at the top of that slot, large enough to force the ball-end through from the top. (kinda like the yamaha tube below)

this way, I needed less slack, and didn't need to get to the throttle bodies.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.