Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

09 RR: saving a total loss

6K views 56 replies 17 participants last post by  CBR_GUY 
#1 ·
I started this in my intro thread, moving the content and continuing here.

Hey guys, I finally picked up my own 09 CBR600RR. It has been wrecked and is in need of much love.
I previously posted a thread about an 03 I brought back from the dead for a friend. Loved it so much I had to get my own.
I also have a 71 CB 750 that I love.

Here's the list of what the 09 needs:
-Complete front end
-complete fairing set
-upper fairing support
-headlights
-turn signals
-tires
-radiator
-header

Once she's back together, legal and registered, I may start some modifications. Most people would call it a total loss, but I will save her
How I got her:

Deconstruction:

Steering stem:

New parts:

My 1971 CB750K1

See less See more
#2 ·
Checked the frame over multiple times, no visible bends or cracks.

I dismantled the "new" front end to clean and inspect the parts.

I had a new tire installed on the front wheel. Michelin pilot power3.

Complete and ready to install

So I decided to install the bearing races to see how they fit. Not loose, so I moved forward in installing the front end

#3 ·
I got mirrors in the mail, cheap ones since I aim to get signal mirrors like the ones on the cbr1000

Got a new air filter, oil, filter, oil, and spanner wrench to torque the steering stem bottom nut.

Oil change and air filter install will happen this week. I will also flush the gas tank, I've already flushed the fuel lines and injectors.

I installed new foot pegs on the rearsets, one was broken.
New radiator, header, turn signals, upper fairing stay, headlights are in the mail.
I'll order fairings soon.

#4 ·
Changed the oil, looked pretty bad.

New turn signal pigtails, upper fairing stay, and battery arrived.

New turn signals

New headlights

What I cleaned out of the gas tank..

Found out the mileage on the bike.

#5 ·
With the milage being so low I'm glad I took on this project. Mileage was a surprise to me, the previous owner didn't even know what it was.
Installed the lowering link I purchased. Had to clean it up quite a bit, but didn't go overboard with the polishing.

Used the hoist because I didn't have help

Installed the used header. Cables are always a pain in the neck.

Installed the used radiator and filled with Honda coolant.

Reinstalled the gas tank and put in about a gallon of 91 octane with some star tron additive. Primed the fuel pump a few times and she fired right up.
I installed the upper fairing stay and headlights, forgot to take a picture.

When the snow clears, I'll road test the bike. Keeping fingers crossed for no vibration and straight tracking.

#7 · (Edited)

Thanks. Has been fun so far.

Road tested the bike in February, tracks straight at 40mph with no hands. Corners with no vibration or skipping. Moving forward!

Got to work a couple weeks back wiring the turns to the connectors
No butt splices or crimp connections here...

Finished

#8 · (Edited)
With the lowering link installed, the bike sat too vertical on the stock kickstand. I purchased an adjustable billet piece in case I restore the bike to factory height.

Swing arm spools were in order so I can replace the rear tire and stripe the rim to match the front

#9 · (Edited)
Gave the bike a good cleaning. I think I want to paint the subframe, not feeling the silver.

A shot of me testing the bike last month.

Fairings are scheduled to arrive between the 4th and 8th of this month. I'll update as parts arrive

#12 · (Edited)
Thanks, I'm happy with how it has worked out so far.
Looks like you may have struck a good deal! Was the title already marked salvage/wrecked?
I took it in trade for some work. Definitely a good deal. Yeah salvage title, but that doesn't matter to me. I'm actually glad I didn't buy one in good condition, I've learned a lot by working on this bike.

#16 · (Edited)
Thanks, fairings should arrive any day now.

I bet its always nice to get your hands dirty and bring something back; that most would say is to far gone.
Absolutely, will be great to complete this project.

Good work and good deal. I would still highly suggest having the frame checked. I had damage to the headcups so my bearing races were loose but my steering stem looked almost intact. You may just have had the nose of the frame stuffed in without damaging your headcups.
The top cup fit the race perfectly, the bottom cup may have been a bit out of round. The race was very tight in the bottom cup. I checked that frame over super carefully. There was no visible distortion at any weld points. No paint cracking, no stretching or bunching.
Appreciate the concern. If at any time the front end doesn't feel right, I'll disassemble and inspect the bearings. I may do that after the first 500 miles anyway.

#14 ·
I took it in trade for some work. Definitely a good deal. Yeah salvage title, but that doesn't matter to me. I'm actually glad I didn't buy one in good condition, I've learned a lot by working on this bike.[/QUOTE]

I bet its always nice to get your hands dirty and bring something back; that most would say is to far gone.

#15 ·
Good work and good deal. I would still highly suggest having the frame checked. I had damage to the headcups so my bearing races were loose but my steering stem looked almost intact. You may just have had the nose of the frame stuffed in without damaging your headcups.

#17 ·
Have no idea why that sad face is at the top of the last post

#20 ·
Thanks. Stay tuned!

dude i have the same bike, green an black 09, hit a curb last year, fractured my fibula and 2 broke toes, also needed to replace the ram air, forks, fairing stay, right mirror, a fork and the steering stem, also put new bearing on the stem its pretty damn easy, Do you want to sell the rear fairing that the passenger seat goes on and the front fender? mine has a scrape on it and it bugs me and the front fender is cracked!
The tail fairing has some rash, and the front fender has a cracked mounting tab.
Hope you're healing well.
Love the green, but I went matte black w/ matte clear on replacement fairings.

#19 ·
dude i have the same bike, green an black 09, hit a curb last year, fractured my fibula and 2 broke toes, also needed to replace the ram air, forks, fairing stay, right mirror, a fork and the steering stem, also put new bearing on the stem its pretty damn easy, Do you want to sell the rear fairing that the passenger seat goes on and the front fender? mine has a scrape on it and it bugs me and the front fender is cracked!

#22 ·
Only plastics I got with the bike were the fender, tank cover, tail fairing. All damaged unfortunately.

#23 ·
Discovered a leak from dent on the oil pan, needed to lift the bike so I bought some stands.
Went to cycle gear to buy a set of stands and ended up walking out with these.

Gave me the stands and 4 extra wheels for $199.95, should have been over $400. Score.

#24 ·
Got the bike up on stands so I could pull the oil pan. The dent in the pan had a 3/4" hairline crack on the inside. I sent it to a guy around the corner who fixed it free of charge.

#25 · (Edited)
Got the oil pan reinstalled with Honda bond. No tq specs specifically for oil pan so I looked up the General tq specs for specific bolts. 6mm threaded screw, 8mm head w/ large flange. 9ft lb is the spec in a criss cross pattern. 22 ft lb on the drain bolt.

Fairings finally came in. Auctmarts took 7 weeks to get these to me... After trimming and drilling I got these things to fit fairly well, but it was a lot of effort.

Installed tank, tail, nose fairings and solo seat cover.

Windshield came in, installed it with new black bolts.

#26 · (Edited)
Assembled the side fairings.

Side fairing installed.

Hope to have it complete today.

#27 ·
Was able to finish the fairing assembly today.

She's done...for now...

#30 ·
#33 ·
Nice job!

Did you only lower the back end and not the front end as well?
Thanks guys.
Did not lower the front, will take care of it when I do the fork seals

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.