Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Fuel Mapping, Pre-Dyno ?'s

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  GodZuki 
#1 ·
So I should have my bike up and running again by next weekend. I was curious as to what AFR I should run until I can get a proper dyno tune to trim from. It'll have a full exhaust, air filter, z-bomb, etc. Based on what I've read, the typical ratio people seem to run at the track, maybe street too? , is 13.0 +/- 0.2 : 1
I'm going to be strictly commuting until I can get to the dyno, then it'll be track time again. I was thinking for now 13.5 +/- 0.2 would be safe to run for the street. Not too lean? Or should I just stick to the 13.0 so I don't grenade my motor?
I'm still a noob to the tuning realm and learn more every day, so please...be gentle.

#2 ·
Do you have a fuel controller yet? You'll need an Autotune or ZAFM in addition to fuel controller to be able to use the AFR for trimming the fuel map. You'll also need the PAIR system removed or disabled.

If you have the PC V + Autotune or ZFi + ZAFM already, go to their website and download a map that's close to your setup. Don't worry too much about it if you can't find one that seems really close. The AFR table in those canned maps are pretty much the same across them all. It might just take a bit more riding for the Autotune to trim the fuel tables to match your setup.

Search the forum for Autotune AFR too, there are a few threads with discussions about modifying the AFR on your own. Of course, a proper tune is always the best.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#3 ·
Yeah I have a full bazzaz system, just need to hook it all up. My plan is to get the map "good enough" so that the bike doesn't run like garbage, until I can get a proper tune (one for the street and one for the track), then from there the z-afm would take over the job of making sure the z-fi can maintain the dyno tuned numbers as I go from track to track or location to location (different elevations and such).

The problem with bazzaz is that they don't offer the canned maps like dynojet, except the two already loaded onto the unit which are only meant for a slipon (and I've read they are pretty garbage maps anyway), because their system mainly hinges on the use of the z-afm unit. So bazzaz only offers a way for people to share maps they have generated themselves with each other. And I'm not sure if I trust running a map that someone in KY uploaded even if the mods are the same, as I live in CA. Yes, there are a few on there from CA, but they tend to be slipon only or air filter only types.

The reading I've done here OTF seems to show people running around the 12.8-13.2 range. But until I can get back to the track, I'd prefer not to run that rich. Yet on the other hand I don't want to run too lean and blow something in the motor. I'm thinking 14.0+ would be too lean, but 13.8 could very well be too lean, I just don't know yet. So I was more after whether running a 13.5-13.8 would be a good target AFR range for the z-afm to shoot for in a pre-dyno street trim.

Thanks for your input. I'll keep doing my research.

#4 ·
Since you'll be using the ZAFM to trim your fuel map, you really don't need to be that concerned with the base fuel map that you start with being close. Ideally, you would want one that's close, but just about any one you grab will work to begin with. It will just take a bit more time to get zeroed in if the values are off by a bit more than another map would be. The ZAFM will use the AFR values you give it to trim the fuel tables and then you can save those values in your own map.

DJ claims their canned maps on the website are a good compromise of power and fuel economy (also safe, they aren't going to publish maps that will start blowing up customers bikes). I'm not very familiar with Bazzaz, but I assume their interface is similar to DJs. Here's what their AFR table looks like. It's for an 09 with full Arrow exhaust, but that's only relevant to the fuel trims they provide with it. The AFR is pretty standard across all of their maps. You could try these values in you Bazzaz and see how it goes.

#5 ·
DJ claims their canned maps on the website are a good compromise of power and fuel economy (also safe, they aren't going to publish maps that will start blowing up customers bikes).
After I read this it suddenly hit me. I could just try to imitate, as best as the bazzaz system will allow, one of DJ's canned maps for now. Something that would seem so simple and it just hadn't occurred to me until now haha. I feel dumb.........

Thanks again.
Can't wait to get back to riding

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.