Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Hit 2 Deer in One Night. Streetfighter time?

12K views 97 replies 20 participants last post by  Karling 
#1 ·
Howdy yall from central texas, a land full of damn deer. But not just any deer, our beloved white tail deer are about as stupid as they come. They love to dart back and forth in the middle of the road, trying to figure out which direction they want to go. God forbid they just make up their mind. 2 weeks ago, I was fortunate enough to knock down 2 from the whitetail deer population. The story goes like this.
I was leaving the local highschool football game, driving down FM2484 (a great T1 road full of curves and twisties), headed towards my house. As I'm riding along, going about 55mph, I see two deer on the right side of the road. I cover my brakes and prepare for anything. Sure enough, they start darting across the road. I slow down from 55 to about 30. Right as the 1 year old doe crosses the lane, she decides to dart back and attempt to cross the other way. Smack. I hit the deer hard with the front tire, brining me to a complete stop. Mind you, I stayed up right and escaped a layover. The deer limps off and then falls over on the shoulder of the road. I pull over and inspect the bike. The front wheel choke or fairing is intact, somehow, and there's absolutely no damage. My front brake felt kinda squishy, but oh well. Only 5 miles from home. I hop back on and continue my journey, thinking about how lucky I was.
I continue riding towards my home, with thoughts of how stupid deer are. As I near the top of the hill, a matured doe darts out in front of me, barely missing me. Mind you, I was going 60 at the time. Woah. Before I had time to think, bam. Another stupid yearling darts in front of me. Still traveling at 60, she hits my front tire hard, causing the bike to lay over. I slide for about 3 or 4 seconds. Wow. That was quick. I stand back up, and before I know it, there are 4 cars stopped. I pick my bike up and roll it to the side of the road. I'm cussing and slammi ng my fists, and telling everyone not to call 911 as I didn't feel like dealing with a trooper.

So there you have the background. My glossy black cbr600rr is no longer intact. Other than the fact that the relays on the side got messed up, the bike is still fine. I have decided to go street fighter. No more fairings. I don't feel like buying another 600 dollar fairing kit.

My plans for the bike are not too extreme, but they are very bright. Literally. I'm thinking of ideas for headlights, I want something that will lighten up the entire road. Maybe one of those LED light bars? Who knows. I just want to keep record of all this and share my story with yall.

Ride safe and look out for those deer!!

See less See more
#82 ·
No you're very lucky. 2 deer and still alive and kicking with little injury. I've had a friend hit 1 and him and his girl were in the hospital for a bit.

#7 ·
And fanatic, the second one I had to slit it's throat. There was some chick that trying to comfort the damn thing. I mean come on. It could've very easily killed me, and instead of loving on me, she loving on the deer? No way. I told her to back off cause I am was gonna slit it's throat. You shoulda seen her start crying haha

#17 ·
Lol I never understood why people say "oh man, you are so luck to have survived that deer encounter" It's like, If I was really that lucky then I never would of had the encounter to begin with! lol, but yeah, I understand what they are saying. Still, I wouldn't pin you as a lucky guy.

#29 ·
Ouchhh you pulled the red neck card haha! And yeah I deftly learned a lesson from this experience. While I was not speeding above the speed limit, i should have been going 10 under. Maybe I could have reacted better, maybe I couldn't have. I'll never know that. But I do plan on going slower at night! :)

#33 ·
hey listen. I completely understand where youre coming from. But its a deer. Ok? They are more of a nuisance out here. They are literally every where. They tear up gardens, plants, and people hit them all the time. Hell, many people die from swerving to avoid them and wind up hitting trees. Sure, there is beauty in nature. I totally feel ya on that one man. But calling me out on saying My views on women are messed up is just completely off topic and you have no backing for that. You were making a quite disrespectful and unreasonable assumption of me. Can we just both act like adults and quit tryin to win some argument that shouldn't have been there to begin with?

#36 ·
Miweber 929 I figures someone would. Sadly, I didn't take pictures so I have no proof. I don't blame ya for callin bull ****. Its kind of a shitty story. But it happened. I realize hitting 2 deer within 5 minutes is pretty radical but that kind of crap tends to happen to me :/

#83 ·
Within 5 minutes, you either can't ride or didn't learn to keep your eyes out or ride at a speed in which you can spot and evade deer. Or your story is BS :)

Either way, this is Texas if you're in the back roads keep an eye out, if you can't do that don't ride on them.

#37 · (Edited)
Glad the OP was intact. I don't know TX or it's deer but we have them around here where I ride. Almost count on seeing them alive or dead every time I go out. Yes, the lesson to take away is that when deer are active on the road I drop speeds enough so that I can see what's happening off the side of the road as best as possible and able to stop short. From hunter friends I'm told they are mostly active out in the open (on/near roads) at dawn & dusk. I'm extra wary around those times in deer areas.

I find the whole hissy fit on here about slitting the deer's throat and the lady crying laughable. Really goes to show how people are today. That lady was comforting the deer? The hell? What does she think this is Bambi? She would be no comfort to a wild deer healthy or dying. If anything some human standing over it touching it would only add more fear and stress to it's death trauma. Get real. If it wasn't smashed & dying it would be kicking & biting to get away from someone trying to "comfort" it. She (and others here) had it exactly backwards. Some woman stressing out an animal that may take minutes or hours dying is far crueler than some "*******" ending it's suffering immediately. Tell you what. If I were out somewhere in the wild with my bones & insides smashed to hell and with no chance of aid coming, I would welcome a quick dispatch.

#39 ·
THANKYOU!! I mean it's not like I'm housing deer and torturing them, which is what they are acting like. I'm pretty sure if a deer made THEM wreck out, and have them a very near death experience, they wouldn't walk up to the deer and say "aww poor little animal!!"

And yes I've definitely learned to slow down at night time when deer are active. It's one lesson I have taken away from this shitty experience haha

#43 · (Edited)
Haha yeah you're right now that I re read and looking back, I'd be like "fkn deer arghh :mad: " a while back I had an accident, some lady pulled into my lane quickly and I panicked and swerved to the curb/gutter head on collision to a sign at the bikes nose height, I swore f f f f f f like a million times whilst I rode back home.

You've done the right thing, or close tbh, idk about the laws and regulations in the USA and Texas but I'm sure you couldve called some animal control association beforehand? Plus I'm sure hunting is a big thing there anyway so yeah, either way.

Sorry for calling you ******* or anything, that's what comes to my mind when I hear Texas or Carolina or something haha.

I did however find it funny with that woman haha..

And no, no streetfighter, just fix it up or maybe switch color schemes or something, imo.
Peace, from Australia.

#44 ·
I could have called animal control, but it was after 11pm and I was just trying to get home. And I've replaced the fairings twice already so I'm going to try out the street fighter theme for a while. If I hate it, then I'll put fairings on around January maybe. But I'm pretty excited about this build

#49 · (Edited)
Howdy yall from central texas, a land full of damn deer. But not just any deer, our beloved white tail deer are about as stupid as they come. They love to dart back and forth in the middle of the road, trying to figure out which direction they want to go. God forbid they just make up their mind. 2 weeks ago, I was fortunate enough to knock down 2 from the whitetail deer population. The story goes like this.

Ride safe and look out for those deer!!
Where I live in New Jersey, it isn't uncommon to wake up to 10+ whitetail deer in your backyard. The most I have counted in one grouping was 25 deer. I have had many encounters with these deer. My most interesting encounter was when I was driving 35mph on a straight road and suddenly a deer popped out of the bushes which I have already passed. This deer decided to catch up to the speed of my car and run along side of my front fender for a good 30 feet. After the 30 feet, I realized that this deer was literally racing me to get ahead of me. I slowed down and the deer cut me off.

Whitetail deer are literally something else.

#51 ·
I live in Chicago now but I'm originally from MI and totally unaffected by the killing of the deer. OP's casual attitude (or "jokes") about it I deem as trying to make a bit of a story out of the ordeal.

However, my immediate thought after reading was re: no troopers. You riding dirty with no insurance? You could have a brand new bike with an insurance policy and a police report. Also, I'm not sure about laws in TX, but I'm fairly certain that if you kill a deer outside of deer season in MI (even with a car) you are legally required to contact authorities.

Anyway, carry on, but that was the part that jumped out to me.

#53 ·
I have liability man I wouldnt get crap haha. And that might be about the deer out of season, I'm not 100% sure on that (deer get hit by vehicles on the road all the time so nobody hassles us about that) but I'll tell ya one thing. The troopers out here don't give 2 sh*ts about if you wrecked or not. They will file an accident report (which raises insurance) and they will more than likely write you some bs ticket like "failure to control vehicle" happened to a few of my buddies.

#57 ·
Sorry for the bad pic, but I got my new relays in today. I tucked them up underneath the tank. Also bipassed the lean angle sensor using a paperclip and electrical tape.

Waiting on my single 7" led headlight and mounts to come in the mail. Also gotta figure out how to mount the stock guage cluster or display ro whatever it's called. My front fairing stay had a pretty bad Crack in it so I can't use that. Any ideas?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.