Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Official Tire Reading Thread (post your tire reading questions here)

160K views 685 replies 156 participants last post by  verticalroll@yahoo.com 
G
#1 ·
To cut down on the clutter from the growing number of tire reading threads, lets start a mass thread dedicated to the topic.

To make things easier, please follow these guidelines.

Posting a question regarding your tire wear:
  • Please post pictures of the tires and specify which is front and/or rear. Make sure the pictures are as clear as possible and not blurry
  • Please post the tire brand and type (tire pressures will normally depend on tire make)
  • Please post your tire pressure and specify if they are hot or cold readings
  • If possible, post your suspension settings to make it easier on those giving setting tips

Posting a reply to someone's request:
  • Please quote the post to which you are responding to. Do not use characters such as "^^^"
  • As clearly as possible, let the person know what you see wrong with their tire such as scalloping, hot tearing, etc.
  • When giving someone pressure settings, please let them know if it is for front, rear, or both, and hot or cold pressures
  • When giving someone suspension adjustments, please let them know in clicks or turns, front or rear, compression or rebound. (Example: +2 = 2 turns stiff, -2 = 2 turns soft.)

PLEASE DO NOT POST UNLESS YOU ARE ASKING A QUESTION OR ANSWERING SOMEONE'S REQUEST. WE DON'T NEED THIS THREAD BEING CLUTTERED UP.

See less See more
#2 ·
i just saw the sticky for the thread, and i thought that i should mention some links that may help people understand more visually, as opposed to reading someones answers.

http://www.youtube.com/user/speedybee43

(there you can find videos of Dave Moss explaining how to read tires, adjust your suspension, and making adjustments from the wear pattern of your tires).

http://www.feelthetrack.com/tire-wear.html

(a page off of Dave Moss's website, has pictures and explanations of different wear patterns.

i know it said to post questions only, but personally i didn't really understand it until i saw it. so i thought this would help out your thread, and just may answer A LOT of questions from people already. again, please don't be upset that it's not a question, and i have no means of clutter, just trying to help out...

#6 ·
a feel like an a$$

for asking this, but when referring to the leading and trailing edge of the tire, is that in reference to the edges between the GROVE in the tire, or the edges between the RUBBER BETWEEN THE GROVES?

I'm trying to learn about reading a tire, and get my suspension set up properly, or at least be educated about it.

#8 ·
let me be the first to post pics of a tyre that has rear suspension problems.

this is a Michelin Pilot Power 2CT rear tyre on a GSXR1000K7 & you can clearly see the scallop (raised lip) on the trailing edge of the tyre, whether if the scallop is on the leading or trailing edge it only means that you have rebound damping problems with your rear shock.

too much rebound damping (too hard) scallops the trailing edge & too little rebound damping (too soft) scallops the front edge. the pic is taken on the right hand side of the tyre so the rotation fprward is clockwise.

i'll take other pics of tyres with compression & rebound damping problems, that way you'll know what it looks like & what to do to correct it but most importantly you MUST set you rider sag first before any adjustments to the damping adjusters are to be made.

#109 ·
too much rebound damping (too hard) scallops the trailing edge & too little rebound damping (too soft) scallops the front edge. the pic is taken on the right hand side of the tyre so the rotation fprward is clockwise.
I didn't even notice this when I first read through the thread, but what you are saying is actually the opposite of the truth. You may have just mis-read something about tire reading or thought more rebound meant faster rebound when in fact it was intended to mean more rebound damping, or vice versa. Either way, let me clarify:

If the leading edge on your tire tread is raised, your rebound is too slow. Dial OUT rebound damping (turn rebound damping adjuster counterclockwise)

If the trailing edge on your tire tread is raised, your rebound is too fast. Dial IN rebound damping (turn rebound damping adjuster clockwise)

#9 ·
this one is from the same bike but it is now the front tyre we are looking at, can you guys guess what the problem is?

i'll leave you guys to figure it out but to the trained eye they'll instantly recognize what the problem is. the tyre in the pics is a Michelin PP 2CT front.

#11 ·
backwards, i shot the pic on the left hand side of the bike.

#12 ·
Too much rebound and in that pic it looks like in the middle of the tread there is shaved edge on the trailing edge. Is that due to compression or is that another issue b/c it is coupled with a suspension issue on the same edge?

#14 · (Edited)
correct, the forks have too much rebound damping (too hard) & the fork springs are too stiff, the forks barely compress when i bounce them so we're having both problems acting at the same time screwing up the tire.

G
#13 ·
Rear Tire
Bridgestone BT002-RS
Cold Temp 30PSI
Slight liping of the leading edge, becoming more pronounced throughout the day suggesting more rebound (faster) is needed. Slight geometry tear as well becoming more and more pronounced throughout the day, and even more so afterwards, suggesting rear spring is not adequate for rider weight.

G
#16 · (Edited)
Ok tire readers, whats going on here? running 32 PSI HOT on DC3s.

That's the Rear tire, by the way, direction of rotation is left to right.

more (faster) rebound needed. touch your cold pressure up 1 PSI too. 32 hot is too low and is causing a little hot tearing.

I can tell you're really hammering the gas after the apex though. Roll on the throttle just before you apex. that will broaden your debris field and not show such an on off mark like that.

G
#20 ·
well, you see that line right in the middle of your transition patch? that's you picking up the throttle right after apex as you begin to pick up the bike. it's not a harsh line... but it's either that or you're trail braking and lulling the neutral throttle.

#21 ·
do you have closer shots of the tires? we really need to have a very close pic as it's hard to tell at that distance.

Reactions: dixon cider
#25 ·
Sorry about the FAR AWAY pics. Those were picture that i took from the track and now it's too late to take closer pics of them because i've had them on the street.

I'll take some after my VIR track day and post. Hopefully i'll be on Power Races by then.

This is an AWSOME thread and i'm eager to learn as much as possible from you guys.

Thanks ~!

#26 ·
PP's

Can someone help me out.
Went to fontana last weekend. Was about 95 degree air temp.
Running Pilot Powers, no tct. Ran 38 front and 37 rear, per michelin guys at the track.
Looks like the rear tires trailing lip is higher than the front. (too much compression?) No noticable raise in the fronts.
Going to fontana again 8-1. Thinking of getting diablo corsas or 2ct's. Any suggestions.?

Attachments

#27 ·
Can someone help me out.
Went to fontana last weekend. Was about 95 degree air temp.
Running Pilot Powers, no tct. Ran 38 front and 37 rear, per michelin guys at the track.
Looks like the rear tires trailing lip is higher than the front. (too much compression?) No noticable raise in the fronts.
Going to fontana again 8-1. Thinking of getting diablo corsas or 2ct's. Any suggestions.?
on the rear you need less rebound damping (go softer) & more compression damping (go harder).

on the front i can see a bit of a lip forming at the leading edge so you need a bit more rebound damping (go harder).

go with the tires you're already familiar with, regular PP & PP2CT aren't much different except for the softer compound on the sides.

#30 ·
I was suprised about the tire pressure also.
Have been to 3 track days and always asked the michelin guy what pressure to run. They have always told me a pressure over 35 psi cold.
I know it sounded high to me as well.

Not sure on the sag. I had it setup 2 years ago at the track. Maybe I should check it again.

#32 ·
ktomi, usually we run 31/29 on PP's which is widely used on tire tests, i was surprised to see you're running way high pressures.

#35 ·
I guess I should change my tire pressure next time.
Another question. Is it bad to have a pp in the front and a 2ct in the rear?

#36 ·
no i don't think so, it is just like riding with different tire compounds for the front & rear for best handling & cornering grip.

#46 ·
you're actually quite close on your damping settings judging from the pics but you could use a little less rebound damping on the rear as there is a teensy weensy scallop forming at the trailing edge on the outer edge of the rear tire.

as for the front tire there is a noticeable scallop on the trailing edge, what is your current fork settings? are you still running stock fork internals?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.