Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Tires Questions Understanding

2K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  dagg92 
#1 ·
Getting ready to purchase some new rubber but may want to change the size of my tire . So most of my search result are very common, seems most want to get wider profile tires , not sure but feels like a lot of people have the car mentality wider is better , but if you look at race bikes the tires look almost narrow and tall. not the flat frying pan look :) which IMO doesn't look like it would handle / grip better. My question is I want a setup with a real U shaped profile , I'm running the stock 120/70 -180/55 , So does the front stay the same and I go 180/60 in the rear ? Does the taller series/ aspect ratio improve the contact patch or is it just for turn in ? Also do you need to modify the small rear wheel fender to fit the taller tire ?

Thoughts and comments appreciated

#2 · (Edited)
Please don't flame me anyone, but I wouldn't change up on the sizing or else it could play with or alter the balanced handling of the bike.

Reminds me of a topic from the 300 forum where a user wanted to change / widen the tires to resemble more to a 600... I don't think it's going to work out as well, especially if you care about how the bike rides and handles. I feel that changing up is more for aesthetics than anything else.

#4 ·
You're taking a broad generalization at a specific question, let's look at this specifically.

So what are you actually looking for, looks or handing?

What does the bike not do you want it to do?

Fanatic is right in the fact that changing tire sizes is not a good thing unless you are very much in tune with what it changes and how it will affect your bike, which most times are very subtle but noteworthy. Keep in mind unlike most "mods" changing tires is something you'll generally have to live with for a while unless you're wealthy to the point you don't mind tossing brand new tires at $300 a pop if they don't work out.

Also note most "profiles" of a tire being more flat vs. U shaped are in the actual construction of the tire as well as its actual wear. What I mean by that is some brands have more of a U shaped profile and turn in feel where others have a more V shape to them. As well all tires really start out U and as the wear get much flatter in the middle as that's where 90% of your riding by 90% of the riders is.

Tire styles tend to change their profile as well so a sport touring tire (PR4 for instance) will have less of a peak than a supersport tire (PP). Do if you want that U shape look at performance tire but you'll sacrifice mileage.

On this bike I'd definitely say stay stock in the front at a 120/70. From there you can fit a 180/55 (stock), 180/60 or jump into the 190's in all sorts of widths. Personally I feel the 190's are oversized for this bike and tend to lead to a sluggish feel when cornering. Some will disagree, however.

Answer the above questions first, then let's figure from there. Until you get some miles under you I hesitate to recommend changing tire sizes as it affects so much.

Reactions: Fanatic
#5 ·
Get a set of Pilot Road 4's in the stock profiles. :)

#6 ·
I have them, they make my bike turn over like nothing, it's just... I hate how they look like 160's :( I didn't choose them, the previous owner did when he got rwc for me, before that and when I was coming to have a look at the bike he had Bridgestone s20 and they look so fat like 190's lol

#7 ·
... but if you look at race bikes the tires look almost narrow and tall. not the flat frying pan look :) which IMO doesn't look like it would handle / grip better...
To give my perspective and opinion on this statement, I feel the riders who race with their bikes do a lot of tinkering as well. They put a lot of time and effort (along with their team) into experimenting with what works for them and what doesn't.

Myself being a street rider and at my current position, I may not have the luxury or purpose to do the same experimenting and tinkering. Eventually, I hope to head out to the track which may give more opportunity and reason to understand / learn from even the smallest changes. Who knows?

#8 · (Edited)
IMO: you have two options fore tire sizes on this bike.

1 = 180/55R17, 120/70R17 (best handling)
2 = 190/55R17, 120/70R17 (slightly more grip, slightly more difficult to 'turn in')

anything else is going to mess you your handling/grip

#9 ·
IMO: you have two options fore tire sizes on this bike.

1 = 180/50R17, 120/70R17 (best handling)
2 = 190/55R17, 120/70R17 (slightly more grip, slightly more difficult to 'turn in')

anything else is going to mess you your handling/grip
Did you mean 180/55R17 or is that not a typo?

#11 · (Edited)
Definitely not going for looks , purely performance minded .

Valid points Fanatic , tinker is my middle name :) I'm a tech/mech

Main goal is setting up for the track , track days/street of right now

Right now the bike feels like I have to push a bit more to get the bike to flop side to side , looking for a graceful roll vs a hard push side to side kind of a feel

I think I left out some key points , just got the bike , used , BT 016 tires , so it could be they are just on their way out , not sure how the previous owner maintained them .

I think I want to run a 180/60 from what I have been gathering

Tires of interest : Q3 , supercorsa , Rosso Corsa , always open to suggestion . I guess at the rate these tires last I will get to do some experimenting :) thanks Miweber929

Thanks everyone

#15 ·
If your goal is quicker turn in, look more at changing your suspension set up, not your tire profiles. Continue using a 180/55 until you feel like you need more grip. If you want more turn in, drop your forks in the front 5mm, your forks should have grooves cut into them for adjusting. I'm using Bridgestone BT003RS 120/70 180/55 on my '05 and forks lowered 5mm in the front. Also invest in getting your suspension set up.

#13 ·
I opted for the Q3's in the spur of moment after catching a flat. Everyone had good things to say about them, except for the life. After 300 miles on them, they feel good so far.

#14 ·
The differences between crown heights and tire profiles is minor enough that it only starts to become a concern for the fastest lap turners. A good on site suspension guy can help sort it so you can turn in easier to start with, just based on settings. As speed comes, more dimensions can be considered to get the effect you want. I'd start small at first, and not worry too much about tires.

#17 ·
Yeah taller will, which is why he's better off just lowering the front a bit rather then putting on a bigger tire that he doesn't yet need

#18 ·
I've not been a fan of the 016's so before screwing around with changes of profiles get new tires; my recollection was the 16's turned in slow and had a strange, unsettled feel. Bridgestone S20's are FAR better tires and Michelin Pilot Powers, Dunlop Q3's are also great choices.

I'd skip the 180/60's this time and get some good tires on the bike; it'll be night and day different.

Mike

#22 · (Edited)
Good info thanks everyone

Yes before tire size alteration suspension is a must , which I have been lagging on a bit , a little indecisive about about to go with , I think I'm going to get K-tech rear for sure , but can't decide on the front piston kit or 20mm carts from K-tech ( K-tech because it's what my local shop knows)

Off topic - what's wrong with Pirelli seems like it's pretty much all one way or the other way love or hate

sounds like Q3s are the favorite and great price

Just to let everyone know where I am coming from , of right now I'm riding this bike on the street but slowly will be dedicating it to a track day bike , Just tied up with a lot of projects right now , but I want to do things right

So maybe I will just run though a set of something of stock size until I get to the point where I need that little bit more

Thanks again

#23 ·
Well, in my opinion, suspension upgrades like shocks and fork work only pay off for the top third of fastest track riders; you may just want to buy seat time and tuning unless there is a big weight discrepancy or the track org riders find it hard to keep up with you. I mean, I know it's cool kit, but when I started out I was on the stock stuff for a long time without it being an issue or limiting factor (my suspension guy remarked that Honda's HMAS pistons were very good for a stock piece). Just something to think on.

#29 ·
Also, I thought it would be useful to know that Dunlop is offering $25 mail in rebate per tire purchased (including Sportmax Q3). I purchased both front and rear, so I'll be getting back $50. I don't know if this is posted on their website, but if you call their corporate motorcycle division and inquire, they should send you the offer.[/QUOTE]

Interesting , good to hear , I don't believe it is posted , i was kind of waiting for that rebate ,from MotoMummy you can get it down to 179 with rebate , when the time is right , Superstore is fair price right now

#31 ·
5k or 6k on a q3 is normal even 7 or 8k if there taken care of..

3k is hard riding or you not watching your psi..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.