Bridgestone S21? - 600RR.net
Tires, Suspension & Handling Sticky to slippery tire talk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bridgestone S21?

So I'm almost up for new tires. I'm coming from the Bridgestone S20 EVOs. However, I just realized that I could order a set of the new S21 tires. Does anyone have any experience with these tires? I was gonna get a set of Q3s because I haven't tried those tires out yet. Yeah I know I'm late but I'm still relatively new to sport riding. I would like to try out all the different hypersport tires to see which ones I like the best. If the S21s are anything like the S20 EVOs then I'll probably pass them up for now and try out the super popular Q3s. I really enjoy the S20 EVOs. The grip is great, I get good feedback (I feel when I'm on the edge), and they're lasting longer than I would've expected.

I got my S20 EVOs in late November of last year. Unfortunately, I haven't done any track days with them, however, have done extensive amount of canyon carving with them here in SoCal (Palomar Mountain, Montezuma, Banner Grade). Right now I have just over 5k miles on my set of S20 EVOs and probably 25% more tread left until I absolutely need to replace them. They've already developed a flat spot since I 'used' to commute with them on a daily basis. I set the tire pressures accordingly to the way I ride. I originally bought the S20 EVOs because supposedly I heard that they last a little longer than the Q3s do. Since I'm not commuting on a daily basis at the moment, I don't mind having a tire that's softer. So that's what lead me to want to try out the Q3s.

Anyways, I'm just really curious to what the S21s will have to offer if anyone here has already jumped the gun on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 04:13 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Bridgestone S21?

BUY THEM!
Nothing On the Market Even Comes Close To Their Compound! And Your EVO's Are Overdue For Replcement!

The S21's Replace the S20's And the S20R-EVO's!

I Didn't Like the S20's Because Bridgestone Took Away the Triple Layer Compound Rear!
And Reduced the Dual Compound Front Softness! Which Is Why It Was Put Back In the EVO's!

The S21 Has Praises From Testing In West And Eastern Europe! Ran Hard Testing In Spain's Technical Track Facility!

Bridgestone Used MotoGP Telemetry Data:
Traction Control! Launch Control! Wheelie Control! Quick Shifts! Lean Angles! G-Forces! Longitudinal & Lateral Axis Data Acquisition! And, Auto-Calibrations!

Front And Rear Tires Diagnostics Data:
Tire Pressures! Temperature Hold Rates! Contact Patch! Surface Wear! Rapid Braking! Acceleration Forces & Mass!
Sidewall Defection/Cornering/Lateral Forces
! And On!...

Bridgestone Designed The S21 At Their New U-EYE Facility!
http://www.tyrepress.com/2015/11/new...s-old-and-new/
It's A 360-degree Infrared & Lazer-Scanning Rotational Bench System!
The Rotational Bench Has Motion-Sensors Embedded Inside And Are Viewed By the Infrared Cameras & Lazer Scanners!

I Was Lucky To Be In Milan In November Last Year! And Went To the EICMA Bike Show!
Saw the BIG Presentation of the S21 by Bridgeston! Purchased My S21 Tires From Chaparral!
You Won't Be Disappointed!...
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 07:29 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

sounds like you'd be fine with some Sport Touring tires, Maybe even a Sport Touring Rear, and a Sport front. You wont ever fully use the supersport tires for canyon carving.
The Following User Says Thank You to jawsolsen333 For This Useful Post:
Urbane (10-03-2016)

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawsolsen333 View Post
sounds like you'd be fine with some Sport Touring tires, Maybe even a Sport Touring Rear, and a Sport front. You wont ever fully use the supersport tires for canyon carving.
Thank you for your opinion, but I'm going to stick with hypersport tires because I prefer grip performance over longevity any day. I've used sport touring tires on my last bike and I can tell you that I won't be going back to them unless I ONLY commute with them and putt around on easy going roads.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 01:48 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Hoping to swap out my PP3's for a set of these next week. Doing 2 trackdays back to back so should make for a decent test if I can get my hands on them.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 02:07 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch33zecake View Post
Thank you for your opinion, but I'm going to stick with hypersport tires because I prefer grip performance over longevity any day. I've used sport touring tires on my last bike and I can tell you that I won't be going back to them unless I ONLY commute with them and putt around on easy going roads.

If your strongest point is late and hard braking I'd go with some Bridgestone RS10, the turn in is quicker with them compared to other tires I've ridden. I been on Q2s, but not Q3s. I didn't like the front on the Q2 though. Not sure how experienced you are or if you generate enough heat in your tires to get optimal work out of them, but RS10s are fairly soft and work excellent even when not at optimal pressure, the rear is somewhat difficult to get the correct psi dialed in.

Best thing I can tell you is check out this. Never reviewed the 21 though.

Dunlop Q3 track day tire initial evaluation | Feel The Track

Bridgestone RS 10 Tire test | Feel The Track

Bridgestone S20 tire review | Feel The Track

2A7X3. Aircraft Structural Maintenance.

Any corrosion (Paint, priming, identification, etc) or Fabrication (Sheetmetal, Fiberglass, Tubing, etc)
questions, go ahead and ask and I'll do the best to respond to the best of my knowledge.

Current : '08 CBR1000RR 20160213
Wrecked: '05 CBR600RR 20151221 RIP

Crashes: 2 minor low speed lowsides, 1 50MPH impact.
Injuries: 0 Broken bones, possible tear in shoulder.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YG27 For This Useful Post:
Ol'Dude_87 (03-08-2016), tary preisser (03-05-2016)
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 05:21 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
which ones did you use?
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 03:16 AM
Training Wheel Hero

I Have No Idea What "jawsolsen333" Is Talking About! The S21's Aren't Touring Tires???
They're Super Hypersport Tires!
BATTLAX HYPERSPORT S21 | Motorcycle Tires | Bridgestone Corporation

I Gave That Specific Info Because I Was At the Show! And Bridgestones RULE! Dunlop Q's! Are Garbage!
A Lot Of Hype! And A WHOLE Lot of Fail!!!
Bridgestones NEW 2-Billion Dollar Facility Uses the Most Advanced Tire/Rubber Development Technology, That NASA Contracted Them For Use of Their Rubber Compound Technology For Gaskets/Seals!

"ch33zecake" Go With Your Gut-Instinct! YOU Know What's Best For YOU!
Just Hope My Bit of Info Helped YOU Choose What's Best For YOU! And Gets YOU Home Safe & Secure! :-)

And As For the Canyons, Who Cares?!!! YOU Don't Gauge Any Tires Success To The West Coast Canyon Riders! I Don't Recall Ever Hearing That Tire Companies Need A Canyon Certification For Riders Use! Right?!!!

MotoGP Riders Didn't Want Bridgestone To Leave! That's Good Enough For Me! ON ROAD | Products | Motorcycle Tires | Bridgestone Corporation

PS: You Want Track Day Tires, RS10's! Even Getting BT-003's For $150 Set Is Good Enough!
BATTLAX RACING STREET RS10 | Motorcycle Tires | Bridgestone Corporation
BATTLAX RACING R10 | Products | Motorcycle Tires | Bridgestone Corporation
BATTLAX RACING STREET RS10 TYPE-R | Motorcycle Tires | Bridgestone Corporation

Also, While In Dayton Beach For Its 75th Anniversary For Bike Week Since March 4th, Keeping Up With ALL the NEW Releases of Gear! Bikes! Tires! And the Latest NEWS For MotoGP! And World Superbike,
Bridgestone's S21 Continues To Kick ASS!
A Lot of Former Champion Racers Are Here! Awesome 1st Hand Info From Manufacturers!
Race Teams! AMA! And So On!...

And the TOP "3" Rated Tires Are As Fallows; #1: Bridgestone! #2: Pirelli! And #3: Metzeler!
Since Pirelli & Metzeler Are the Same Company! No Surprise There!

Stay Safe Guys! May Your Final Choice In Tires, Not Be Your Final Choice In Life!

Last edited by Rocket Jockey; 03-08-2016 at 03:24 AM.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 04:27 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
RJ = PR man for Bridgestone?

No need to push a good product.?

I like the Bt-series tires...have bought danm close to 20 of the things.

16, 16S,20's ......Tried Q3"s.......happy to return to B.

B faster than D.

PS.....please don't trash talk canyon riders, the fast guys ride Bt R10s around here.......me S 20 more than enough.

PPS ...Please, send me a 1f/2r set of the new S-21's to try?....120/180 please?
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 08:34 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Never "tary preisser"! ;-)

When On the West Coast, I Ride My Gass Off In dem Hills! :-)

Little West Coast Trivia:
A California State Senator Was Responsible For Banning Bikes With GP-Shift In the 1970's!
From There On, ALL Motorcycles Imported To the US-Market Had The Nonstandard Shift!
Down-1. Up-5.

Next West Coast A$$-Dickory Legal Action, Was Over Race Tires-SLICKS!
As A Result of This NEW Law, Slicks Were Banned From Public Road Use!
Your Lost Your Bike! Suspended License! And Jail!
Hence, The RACE DOT TIRE!...

ALL of This From Canyon Riders! Running Up In dem Hills! ;-)

Send-PM "
tary preisser"! For Price On Bridgestone S21's!
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocket Jockey For This Useful Post:
tary preisser (03-09-2016)
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 09:11 PM
Moto GP Racer

Sure, pm me a price,

2 fronts, 4 rears.

free shipping.

Thanks for the Cali facts.

Have been using GP shift for years.....
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 11:26 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Just Received Bridgestone S21 YouTube Vid From Trevor Hedge Posted 36-Hours Ago!

Checkout the Pancaking Affect At 1:08 Through 1:18!
Notice the Front Tire Flattened Strip Is 3-4 Inches Long! And the Rear 4-5 Inches Long!
That's the BT16-Compound With the R10EVO-Caucus!

And Watch Beginning From 6:50 To 7:25 Close Up Video of the Front & Rear Tires!
L@@K At the Crown of the Front & Rear Tires Leaned Over Through the Turns!
And As the Bike Is Flicked Over From Left To Right!

And Those of You With CBR900RR's, They Come In the 130/70-16.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bridgestone Battlax BT-016 Tri-Compound Rear Dual-Front Cutaway.jpg
Views:	1691
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	174201  

Last edited by Rocket Jockey; 03-09-2016 at 11:30 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocket Jockey For This Useful Post:
ch33zecake (03-11-2016)
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 12:16 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Just spent the day on the track on a brand new set. I have to say the S21's are fanfuckintastic.

Very low track temps today so had some grip issues in the morning but everyone was taking it easy - i.e. it wasn't the tyre at fault. I could feel the profile though and they are very precise handling. Not too quick, not too slow.

Once there was some heat in the track I got to give them a better test. More grip than the Pilot Power 3 and better handling. I couldn't get the rear to side in places other tyres usually warn me. No sign of the PP3 squirm. No idea how much more I can push them yet.

The front is communicative without being distracting. I really like it but everyone has their own taste.

Out on the full track tomorrow with warmer temps expected so will update again.
The Following User Says Thank You to discotex For This Useful Post:
ch33zecake (03-11-2016)
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 02:50 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Good To Hear! Great Feedback Info! :-)

Ran A Set At Daytona Today On My Track CBR600RR And CBR1000RR! A W E S O M E!
Have For My CBR900RR! And VFR800!
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 03:31 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Quick update as promised.

As the temps went up the second day things just got better and better.

I was really pushing the rear out of a couple of corners that I normally get some spin from the PP3. The S21 just ate it up. One corner I'm using full throttle for the first time ever because the tyre can take it.

At the front end I was trailing more brake and entry speed. Never had even a hint they were going to let go.

Pressures were 30 front and 29 rear (cold). By the end of the day I probably should have added a pound on the rear.

After 2 days on track the rear wear is pretty good too. 0.5mm on the left and less on the right.

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1457936766.944737.jpg
Views:	2166
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	174457

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1457936738.531692.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	174449

Time will tell how they hold up with commuting mileage but I think they'll do ok.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to discotex For This Useful Post:
ch33zecake (03-14-2016), tary preisser (03-14-2016), Urbane (05-16-2016)
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by discotex View Post
Quick update as promised.

As the temps went up the second day things just got better and better.

I was really pushing the rear out of a couple of corners that I normally get some spin from the PP3. The S21 just ate it up. One corner I'm using full throttle for the first time ever because the tyre can take it.

At the front end I was trailing more brake and entry speed. Never had even a hint they were going to let go.

Pressures were 30 front and 29 rear (cold). By the end of the day I probably should have added a pound on the rear.

After 2 days on track the rear wear is pretty good too. 0.5mm on the left and less on the right.

Attachment 174457

Attachment 174449

Time will tell how they hold up with commuting mileage but I think they'll do ok.
Thanks for the update! Have you also used the S20 EVOs or the Q3 tires before? I've used the S20 EVOs before and curious to know if the S20 EVOs or the Q3 feel similar to these S21s. I've never used the PP3s before. Glad to know the S21 can throttle hard out of corners. I would throttle hard out of corners on the S20 EVOs and get a happy rear tire. It felt so sketchy. I do that with the Q3s and grips amazingly well. I'm also curious to know the longevity of these tires. You're supposed to get like 30% more which is pretty damn awesome especially hearing you talk about how well they perform on the track! Were those also the recommended track tire pressures from the manufacture or rider preference?
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 04:40 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Thanks for the update! Have you also used the S20 EVOs or the Q3 tires before? I've used the S20 EVOs before and curious to know if the S20 EVOs or the Q3 feel similar to these S21s. I've never used the PP3s before. Glad to know the S21 can throttle hard out of corners. I would throttle hard out of corners on the S20 EVOs and get a happy rear tire. It felt so sketchy. I do that with the Q3s and grips amazingly well. I'm also curious to know the longevity of these tires. You're supposed to get like 30% more which is pretty damn awesome especially hearing you talk about how well they perform on the track! Were those also the recommended track tire pressures from the manufacture or rider preference?

Sadly I haven't had either S20's or Q3's to compare. Was on Pilot Powers, Metzeler M3, BT-016 and 015 before the PP3.

Pressures are just my own starting point. It's hard to get track pressures officially from the manufacturers because they don't know every track. You really need local tyre guys for that. I just start new tyres somewhere near 30/30 and look at the wear and see how they feel. I'm not too precious about it though. I'm not qualifying the bike or anything. If it feels good I leave it alone and enjoy myself rather than fussing over it.

As for longevity.. I'd take that claim with a grain of salt. It's in a controlled environment running 36f/42r pressures. I personally run 34f/36r for the street as a compromise between max grip and tread life. I also find higher pressure a bit stiff because my suspension is set for the track.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Sadly I haven't had either S20's or Q3's to compare. Was on Pilot Powers, Metzeler M3, BT-016 and 015 before the PP3.

Pressures are just my own starting point. It's hard to get track pressures officially from the manufacturers because they don't know every track. You really need local tyre guys for that. I just start new tyres somewhere near 30/30 and look at the wear and see how they feel. I'm not too precious about it though. I'm not qualifying the bike or anything. If it feels good I leave it alone and enjoy myself rather than fussing over it.

As for longevity.. I'd take that claim with a grain of salt. It's in a controlled environment running 36f/42r pressures. I personally run 34f/36r for the street as a compromise between max grip and tread life. I also find higher pressure a bit stiff because my suspension is set for the track.
Fair enough. I would agree with 30/30, however, my sweet spot is usually 32F/30R. Most of the time manufactures recommend somewhere around 30/30 to begin with anyways when running street rubber for track use. I also do the same as far as setting them for commuting (34F/38R) so I guess it just comes down to preference, type of riding, and suspension for the most part.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 02:48 AM
Training Wheel Hero

I'm a new track rider, but I had the S21's out at Thunderhill East and they felt amazing. I haven't compared to Q3's or S20's either, but the difference between this and the stock tire was night and day, which really isn't too much of a surprise. I started the day at 32F/30R, and found the front tire wasn't heating up enough and the rear was getting too hot (I worked with the tire guys at the track..... still learning wear patterns and suspension setup as well). A few adjustments later and I finished 30F/31R and wear patterns were much more consistent. I commute on them as well and they seem to be holding up well. Still plenty of tread left, and they feel great!

Last edited by RobertMS6; 05-16-2016 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Fixing picture links
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 04:42 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Looking good. I'd personally go up 1 PSI in the front. Looks like it's about to turn into a hot tear. Rear is perfect on the shoulder to my eye.
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 12:32 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Garage
Agreed. These tires are 145 shipped for the 600's btw... y'all should pick some up.

http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tube...otorcycle-tire

Use the $50 mail in rebate.
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 02:55 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Looking good. I'd personally go up 1 PSI in the front. Looks like it's about to turn into a hot tear. Rear is perfect on the shoulder to my eye.
That was actually going to be the next move if I went back out, but I was out of gas and starting to run out of stamina. Decided to call it quits on the day while the shiny side was still up. Open track format gave me a hell of a lot of time out there :D
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 03:28 AM
Knee Dragger

Does anyone know what temperature is too hot for the S21's?
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 04:42 AM
Moto GP Racer

I've NP with S-20s at 110+F air temp, and pavement has been warmed for 6+hrs , basically HOT pavement.....

what're you doing with them?

Last edited by tary preisser; 07-24-2016 at 04:45 AM.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 10:33 AM
Knee Dragger

I live out here in the desert of NM, and was on S20s yesterday; I have a set of S21s that will replace them.

Yesterday, I rode for about 5 hours up in the mountains and canyons with 90 degree ambient temps. When I pulled over for a break after 2 hours or so, I felt the rear tire and it was fairly hot to the touch. I have no idea how hot exactly, but reading this thread got me thinking about issues of late with spinning the rear on corner exit. I thought that I may have needed a bit more compression in the rear, but it could be me riding in 100+ degree weather and the tires getting too warm...

Last edited by C. Chaos; 07-24-2016 at 10:36 AM.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 02:54 PM
Moto GP Racer

I try to run my s-20's at 34/34 psi warm, and get almost no slip exiting corners.

i start with 30/29 psi f/r, and it usuallly warms up to 34/34 psi after a few minutes of riding

I wouldn't worry about temps.....what psi are you using on your tires?.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 06:07 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Update on my set: I've got about 2000 miles on my first set, including 2 track days, canyon riding, and plenty of commuting. Sides are pretty worn down from the track, but the center isn't flat and theres still tread left. These tires are continue to feel great and confidence inspiring.

I threw on a fresh set yesterday for my track day next weekend, and ambient temps are supposed to get into the 105F-110F range. I'll play with the pressures and see how they look by the end of the day! This track is a bit tighter and more technical than the last one, so we'll see how they handle. I'm thinking after this set is cooked I'll try some Q3's and can write up a comparison
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 07:52 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tary preisser View Post
I try to run my s-20's at 34/34 psi warm, and get almost no slip exiting corners.

i start with 30/29 psi f/r, and it usuallly warms up to 34/34 psi after a few minutes of riding

I wouldn't worry about temps.....what psi are you using on your tires?.
On the street (and yesterday) I was running 34/33 COLD. I figured I should have initally dropped down to 31-32/30 and should be fine when running spiritedly...I'm going to do this next time.

Would you advise going the same route (30/29, 30/30) for the S21's?
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 02:55 AM
Moto GP Racer

All the Bt -016 thru s20 worked best at 34/34 warm.

(same with dunlop Q3's)

watch out as you drop psi, wear increases on center of tire IF you accelerate briskly

on street, I don't go lower......if you ride hard, and hit bumps or holes or paving changes, you will dent wheels.....after 20 k miles I had a rear out of round on all 3 axes....

(I was playing around and running 28psi rear when that happened)

I have some unsmooth rural roads around here ...and very coarse aggregate pavement.

I get about 2.5K miles/rear tire.

Love Bridgestone's tires!

They work well with this moto, and have excellent front and rear feel.

Ps...Bridgestone =(about) 18 rears and 8 fronts so far.....$3500 + in tires, model year 09 and 50K miles

Last edited by tary preisser; 07-25-2016 at 03:19 AM. Reason: true story.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 03:46 PM
Knee Dragger

Oh, I'm well aware of the implications with dropping pressures on the street. I would only do it on a nicely paved road so that I don't worry about bending the wheels.

I will also say that I like these S20's much better than the Q3's I had previously. To me, they feel better and more predictable, not to mention I seem to be getting many more miles on the S20's as opposed to the Q3's....many more. I have probably 2300 miles on my set at the moment and the rear is just barely starting to flatten down the center. At this point in mileage with the Q3's they were getting close to needing replacement by my standards. I'm willing to bet I can get 3K at least on this S20 rear and I don't ride on the best pavement for the most part of my riding.

I'm a Bridgestone loyalist from now on for street tires...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page