Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Loose rear end???

5K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  OzMoto 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I have an 05 600rr running Q3's. I do a lot of hwy riding so the center of my tire my be flat, but when i take a corner at some windy mountain roads, it feels like the back end is going to slide out from underneath me. I'm leaning pretty hard since im going fast and the curves are fairly sharp. It could just be that I'm not used to the feeling or something, but even at moderate leans, the rear end feels.....not connected to the road, like someone sprayed oil on my rear tire and its not actually gripping, or feels like its just being pulled by the front tire. I also get the same feeling whenever i switch lanes and im on top of the white painted lines on the road, but during those lane switching my bike feels like its literally fish-tailing.

Sorry if i explained this in a weird way. I dont think my tires need to be replaced, and i dont think i need an alignment

#3 ·
whats the recommended tire pressure?
Also, the rear tire still has the grooves in it, indicating there is still tread left. (going based on my car knowledge of how tires are measured)

Also the sides of the tire look like they've been scraped against the side of the road. idk how else to explain, but ill try to get a picture in the morning

#4 ·
You should try and look for a more "tourer" tire on your next change... Pirelli Angel ST, Dunlop Roadsmarts...

When you use a sport tire like Q3 mostly on highway you are squearing the tire, once you've donde this, everytime you lean the bike and moving the tire from the flat spot in the centre to the rounded one on the sides it will feel strange, like theres a step between those two parts of the tire.

Recommended pressures are 2.9 PSI back / 2.5 PSI front.

When yo ufind the correct tire for the kind of driving you do you'll feel safer and your tires will last longer...

#6 ·
Also if you've been riding them long enough that they are squared off, they are probably pretty hard as well. Just because you have plenty of tread showing doesn't mean the tires are still good. Heat cycles will kill a tire off long before the tread is gone.

#8 ·
Here are a couple picks of the rear tire. I figured out that there has been a leak because I ran over a nail and was riding at like 7-10 psi. I patched the tire, and use tire sealer and pumped it up to 35 psi and it's holding. Could that be why it's starting to be squared?

Also the edges look like they have been scraped against the road as opposed to just rolling.

Attachments

#11 ·
Theres a huge tear lol.. u should try taking a little better care you for tires haha

#12 ·
Unless you're on the track bring your pressures up into the 30s. You don't need them to be that low on the street. It'll make youre tires last longer for commuting purposes. They may feel like they're slipping from either A. The tires squared so it has a point to where the contact patch is smaller as you transition into a turn, or B. You have ran that tire through all it's heat cycles, purposefully or not.

But most definitely, you've worn the center of that tire out and require a new one.

#14 ·
There's definitely a tear or gouge between the long and short sipes on the side too. And you patched it? I'd never ride anymore than just getting myself home slowly on a patch. It's not a car, you only have 2 wheels to start with. I picked up a nail with less than 100 miles on a tire and although I was p1ssed about it, I replaced it. Plus the center is toast like I said above. The bike would be parked until the tire was replaced if that were me. Your chain looks pretty nasty too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 ·
Is the "scrape" across the tire in the pic? If that is what you are talking about it is a common problem with the Q3. Small splits or cold tears i wouldnt worry too much about but if they get big or deep then i would be replacing the tire.
Also that tire is well and truly worn. Id be going to get a new 1 or looking for something that is going to last longer but still perform

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.