Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Found possible culprit for shimming

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  MCGMB 
#1 ·
I found out today that my front wheel is bent on one side. I'm guessing this is the cause for the vibration and shimming on a relatively smooth road surface. The suspension may also be set for someone with more weight then I, previous owner was a lot bigger then my 170ish lbs. So now I'm in need for a new front rim, the tire is brand new, somehow the shop must have overlooked it. I'm very surprised they did after putting on the tire... Suspension setting need a look at and I need a new wheel.

#3 · (Edited)
I'll go take a picture, its on the bike's left side, so I'll pull it out here and edit in a high def pic

edit: here are 4 pictures. The damage actually looks pretty minor. What do yall think?

Attachments

#4 ·
I think that is a pretty minor bend, and should not affect steering feel. If there are any weights on your wheel, the tire installer would have put them there when they balanced your wheel, so you can be sure the wheel is balanced if you see weights (occasionally you get lucky as well and the front wheel may not need weights, which has happened to me once or twice.)

Now, having weird steering feel when going straight is a source for concern. Has it always done this? Do you have reason to believe the previous owner had the front suspension hardware modified? Have you ever had sag and forks settings changed or set for your weight?

#6 ·
good, I'm glad I don't need to invest in a used wheel, the 05/06 front wheel is pretty rare on ebay. Not sure where to look for the weights. I'll bring it somewhere and get a quote on how much a repair job would be for the wheel. So, I haven't noticed any thing amiss with steering feel or performance. Just straight line reverberation/vibrations/shimming when the road is smooth. I'm assuming the reason for this happening is due to the slight bend, and not to do with the suspension. I'll have someone check the suspension as well as to fix the bend.

#7 ·
They'll just be on the rim somewhere:

I'm assuming the reason for this happening is due to the slight bend, and not to do with the suspension. I'll have someone check the suspension as well as to fix the bend.
A small bend like that wouldn't really do anything to the carcass of the tire (the tire is beaded to the rim below the lip) so I feel that it is not the cause of this issue. However a shop would probably be better to tell you since they can inspect it and/or ride it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.