Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Loud Creaking noise from middle of bike while riding with passenger.

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Ruby Racing 
#1 ·
Hey guys. Today I took a ride with my girl and noticed a clicking/creaking noise when there is weight transfer between front and rear or when leaning during a turn. This only happens when I'm 2 up, as I tried replicating the sound alone but didn't hear it as much. I feel like it is coming from the middle of the bike, perhaps where the rear shock linkage is. The bike's had lowering links installed by previous owner and I never swapped them out, just set them to stock height. I used to hear similar sounds on long road trips with her but I never heard it as loud as I did today. Toward the end of the ride it increased in frequency and volume, so I kept a slow pace 'till we got home. Has anyone heard this kind of noise before? What would you check first?

#2 ·
The lowering link articulates as the rear shock moves through its travel. The OEM link isn't really a precise piece of metal; the various pieces tend to rub together just a little bit naturally. If the lowering link's tolerances are even looser than the OEM link, or one of the needle bearings is binding, it could cause creaking or popping sounds. This is difficult to check; what year is your bike (or rather, how many miles are on the linkage?)

The linkage itself is actually not too hard to remove from the bike. When it's in hand you may have a better view of how the parts come together. Race bikes tend to have the bearings redone or replaced seasonally to avoid any binding.

This would also allow you to look at the bottom clevis/eyebolt of the shock, to make sure it's in okay condition as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.