Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Steering Wheel Slightly Off-Center

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  NewRedRider 
#1 ·
Hi guys;

I have a 2006 that I got earlier this year with 40,000 kilometers on it (about 24,000 miles).

At some point I noticed that the uppermost triple tree (the black bar with the Honda logo on it) is a tiny bit off-center when driving down the road in a straight line.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's maybe 2 degrees to the right.

I had the forks re-done earlier this year as well as the rear shock. During the fork work the shop checked them for straightness. They said they were a 9 out of 10 - no issues. The forks look brand new and all the triple trees look new.

I wasn't worried about it as the tires were shot so I thought maybe with new tires it would straighten out. I put new tires on the other day and it's still just a tiny bit off to the right.

The bike tracks dead-straight. You can take your hands off the wheel with no issue. Handling seems to be great.

I just don't understand why the wheel would be just a degree or two off to the right when you're driving straight down the road. Any ideas?

See less See more
#2 ·
Your triple tree isn't lined up correctly.

Grab your service manual, go through the process they outline in there and you'll be golden. Not uncommon after a front end is rebuilt or a bike is wrecked.

Reactions: dixon cider
#3 ·
This is very encouraging news - thank you. It also makes sense. However, I dug through the manual and looked at everything from fork removal to replacing the steering head bearings and I can't seem to find anything about lining it up. Maybe I'm not understanding the issue or looking in the right place?

#4 ·
I don't have my RR anymore, and I no longer have the service manual so can't link you directly to the spot but if memory serves look though the area where they discuss removing and replacing the triple clamps and head bearings.

Off the top of my head you get the front end in the air, pull off the wheel, fender and loosen the top triple clamp (or fork bridge? I think they call it). You then use the forks as sort of a mandrel to keep everything in alignment and tighten the top nut in a couple steps. I'll look later today at my 650F manual to see.

Or simply Google a triple clamp/fork alignment. It's really no different between models.

#5 ·
Thanks for the help!

I did check Google later and I found lots of interesting information on this so I'm good to go :smile2:

Also, on this site (I think) I saw a thread from people with 100% new bikes that mentioned they noticed the very same thing - the wheel was slightly off-center.

I'm guessing the procedure you mentioned would address it. I'm going to try it later today. It's very minor though - only off by maybe 1 or 2 degrees at most but I'm glad it's not an indicator of a bent bike that's for sure! :smile2:

#7 · (Edited)
?.... but I'm glad it's not an indicator of a bent bike that's for sure! :smile2:
Hold on, I didn't say that and it could very well be an indicator the steering head, the forks, the steering stem, the triple trees, the axle, the wheel, really anything in the front could be bent. I rebuilt an 06 CBR1000RR a few years ago and had the steering off to one side which turned out to be bent forks and ovalized steering head bearing seat so you're not 100% in the clear yet.

But try the alignment first before going too much farther or loosing too much sleep on it.

Basically the manual outlined the route @Smalls599 described above but instead of using a straight edge you use both your forks as your straight edge. Once you are done aligning the tree, loosen the forks just slightly and be sure you can easily rotate them around and slide them up and through the clamps to be sure they are in alignment and the forks not bent.

#6 · (Edited)
This is how I did it on my friends when she went down.

Slightly loosen upper triple nut (break it free). Raise the front so that nothing is resting on the forks or upper triple. Remove front wheel. Remove forks. While it is not necessary to do this, it will make it easier to get the triples perfectly lined up. Loosen the upper triple nut all of the way. Run a straight edge through the fork tube openings, resting it against the front and then back edges (I don't have a pic but it should make sense as you are doing it). You will notice a slight gap between the straight edge and the upper or lower triple as it is resting against the opposite one. It is not going to be a lot, maybe a 1/16th or two. With the top nut loosened, you will be able to grab the upper and slightly rotate it. Recheck with the straight edge and continue to adjust as needed. Tighten the nut until it is just snug and then recheck. If it moved at all, try tapping it with a rubber mallet to see if you can get it back, otherwise you will need to loosen it back up. Install forks and front wheel. Lower bike and then torque the upper triple nut.

Again there are many different ways to do it, but with this method you are not prying on the wheel or forks to allign the triples.

#8 · (Edited)
This is how I did it on my friends when she went down.

Again there are many different ways to do it, but with this method you are not prying on the wheel or forks to align the triples.
Makes sense. Thanks for posting the procedure :smile2: I found this on the 'net as well - I think it's similar quadrunner500's Fork Alignment Procedure
Hold on, I didn't say that and it could very well be an indicator the steering head, the forks, the steering stem, the triple trees, the axle, the wheel, really anything in the front could be bent.
No, I was sure you said it was the straightest cleanest bike you've ever seen :wink2: The axle, wheel and forks have already been checked so they are a known-good quantity at this point.
I rebuilt an 06 CBR1000RR a few years ago and had the steering off to one side which turned out to be bent forks and ovalized steering head bearing seat so you're not 100% in the clear yet.
This! It's about the only thing I have not done on the bike yet. It does occasionally clunk under braking and it's got 40,000 kilometers on it. I've never been able to get it to show play with the wheel up but I'm thinking they could still be an issue due to the intermittent clunking.
Miweber929 said:
But try the alignment first before going too much farther or loosing too much sleep on it.
My thinking is to do the steering head bearings which likely need to be done, and in the process, I will be taking all that stuff off anyway. Two birds with one stone :smile2:

Seeing this seems to be covering so many bases on this issue here's a thread => http://www.600rr.net/vb/35-maintenance/10103-triple-tree-not-straight.html

showing that many people had this issue with brand new bikes right off the dealership floor brand new. So I would say it's not necessarily and indicator of something being way off. It may even be they didn't get the alignment dead on at the factory or some other thing.

Given that everything else is straight though, and the head bearings should be done even just as maintenance, I'll go that way with less emphasis on the steering being one or two degrees to the right and more emphasis on the bearings as part of the maintenance regime.

If it's not 100% straight after that I won't worry about it :smile2:

Much thanks for all the help guys - it's appreciated. When I do the bearings I'll do up the bolts on the clamps in a manner that avoids a stackup of tolerances (for lack of a better word).

#9 ·
I used a straight edge instead of the forks in case they were bent.

Something else you can do to double check the straightness of the forks (not exact but will give you a good idea)...
Do the triple tree alignment and then reinstall the forks/wheel. If the wheel is still not tracking straight in comparison to the triples, rotate both forks 180°. If one or both of the forks are bent then it should be tracking the opposite way now. You can then rotate one fork at a time 180° to see which fork it is, or again both.

This is just a quick indication, but will give you a good idea of any issues.