Rebound damper issues after seals - 600RR.net
Tires, Suspension & Handling Sticky to slippery tire talk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rebound damper issues after seals

I did the fork seals and put it all back together but when I was setting up my suspension after doing sag and moving onto rebound dampening i noticed that after going full hard that my left wouldn't bottom out. My right bottomed out and they both go full soft.

What in the process of doing fork seals could have gone wrong on one but not the other?

Image shows my full bottom. The right fork went in but the left stops right before
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	191889  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 11:37 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm going off the other thread you started and assuming this is the same bike (05/06 with inverted forks). For starters, if you downloaded the manual off of pretty much any site it will not have the slight differences that the 05/06 has from the 03/04, such as the forks. If you were following that manual, it also means the air gap in your forks will be incorrect.

As was posted in the other thread, the preload adjuster does not need to be backed out before doing a seal job, but out of habit it is something I do. You need to make note of how many turns of adjustment you have on everything. This will be important during reaasembly. The rebound adjuster on your left and right forks do not have the same amount of adjustment available right now. The 05/06 forks should have 4 full rotations of adjustment available (full soft to full hard).

You need to take these forks back apart and get them reassembled properly.
*back the rebound adjuster all the way out
*loosen the fork cap
*compress fork spring and insert stopper tool under jamb nut
*remove fork cap (check that your damper rod isn't stuck or bent)
*spin the nut down about to where you run out of threads (you should be able to carefully do this with the stopper tool still inserted)
*now the important step...turn your rebound adjuster in (clockwise) SLIGHTLY past 4 turns
*reinsert damper rod and fork cap and LIGHTLY (STRESSING LIGHTLY) turn the fork cap until you feel resistance. It won't be a lot, but you should feel it. DO NOT TURN THE FORK CAP ANYMORE! (You will bring the jamb nut up to it
*TURN THE REBOUND ADJUSTER BACK OUT ALL OF THE WAY (COUNTER CLOCKWISE). This is a safety thing so you don't accidently bend the rod when tighting the jamb nut
*you guessed it, bring the jamb nut back UP to the fork cap and tighten
*remove stopper tool and tighten the fork cap
*before reinstalling the forks, make sure you have 4 revolutions of adjustment. The reason I go slightly passed 4 turns is just in case the fork cap moves when tightening the nut back to it.

That should do it for you. Sorry for the long winded answer, hopefully it was easy enough to follow.
The Following User Says Thank You to Smalls599 For This Useful Post:
benga (05-24-2017)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls599 View Post
I'm going off the other thread you started and assuming this is the same bike (05/06 with inverted forks). For starters, if you downloaded the manual off of pretty much any site it will not have the slight differences that the 05/06 has from the 03/04, such as the forks. If you were following that manual, it also means the air gap in your forks will be incorrect.

As was posted in the other thread, the preload adjuster does not need to be backed out before doing a seal job, but out of habit it is something I do. You need to make note of how many turns of adjustment you have on everything. This will be important during reaasembly. The rebound adjuster on your left and right forks do not have the same amount of adjustment available right now. The 05/06 forks should have 4 full rotations of adjustment available (full soft to full hard).

You need to take these forks back apart and get them reassembled properly.
*back the rebound adjuster all the way out
*loosen the fork cap
*compress fork spring and insert stopper tool under jamb nut
*remove fork cap (check that your damper rod isn't stuck or bent)
*spin the nut down about to where you run out of threads (you should be able to carefully do this with the stopper tool still inserted)
*now the important step...turn your rebound adjuster in (clockwise) SLIGHTLY past 4 turns
*reinsert damper rod and fork cap and LIGHTLY (STRESSING LIGHTLY) turn the fork cap until you feel resistance. It won't be a lot, but you should feel it. DO NOT TURN THE FORK CAP ANYMORE! (You will bring the jamb nut up to it
*TURN THE REBOUND ADJUSTER BACK OUT ALL OF THE WAY (COUNTER CLOCKWISE). This is a safety thing so you don't accidently bend the rod when tighting the jamb nut
*you guessed it, bring the jamb nut back UP to the fork cap and tighten
*remove stopper tool and tighten the fork cap
*before reinstalling the forks, make sure you have 4 revolutions of adjustment. The reason I go slightly passed 4 turns is just in case the fork cap moves when tightening the nut back to it.

That should do it for you. Sorry for the long winded answer, hopefully it was easy enough to follow.
This is a perfect write up. It's the fine details i needed the first time around. Thank you so much!
Even tho only my left is giving me issues, i'm going to remove both and redo it just for peace of mind.

EDIT: Just did everything Smalls said and the forks are perfect now.

Last edited by benga; 05-26-2017 at 12:59 AM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 07:33 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Smalls' post should be stickied.. this procedure is not obvious, nor well described in the service manual. I'm sure it is done incorrectly on a daily basis around the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page