Clutch cable snapped, did I fry the clutch? - 600RR.net
Engine Tech This forum will be dedicated for internal Engine threads , discussions, upgrades etc etc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Clutch cable snapped, did I fry the clutch?

I was driving home from work today, stopped at a store to pick up some bare essentials (stuff that can fit into a backpack) and started my official ride home from there. As I was pulling up to a stoplight, my clutch cable snapped. Luckily I was in neutral and I wasn't forced to weave off into a traffic somewhere or something

But I pushed the bike into a parking lot and sat there for a bit wondering how to at least "rig" it enough to get home -- I've got a little sack of generic tools and .. well, couldn't use anything in said sack to rig it. Then figured I might be able to actually use my left hand to work the clutch arm on the side of the engine case itself while my right one worked the throttle. Started the bike up, "pulled the lever" (holding the clutch arm coming out of the case) and popped it into gear, stalled as if it didn't have a clutch at all.

I ended up just waiting for traffic to die down, got a running start while it was started and popped it into gear and just cruised home.

But.. did I somehow fry my actual clutch? Do I need to replace the plates? Shouldn't holding the arm have worked?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:20 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
There is no way your hand is strong enough to release the clutch at the case. The amount you moved it would just be to pick up the slack
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
There is no way your hand is strong enough to release the clutch at the case. The amount you moved it would just be to pick up the slack
Hmm, didn't think those springs were that strong. A new cable *should* be all it needs then? At least for now? The bike has 30k miles, I definitely need to take it in for a full tune-up -- valves, shims, probably a whole new clutch assembly while they're at it. Not sure if it's ever had anything done.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:15 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
clutch probably fine, it's gears that take abuse when this happens.

replace cable, and lube the lead button that goes into clutch lever...

get/keep your bike in good mechanical tune....get valves checked!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:21 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
your stock clutch will be fine at 30k if you aren't being a goon when you're riding it and keep your cable properly adjusted.

the springs are strong as hell man, there's no way you disengaged the clutch with your fingers.

if you don't believe me, put a crescent wrench on the lever and actuate it with the wrench, it takes a serious pull to do it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
your stock clutch will be fine at 30k if you aren't being a goon when you're riding it and keep your cable properly adjusted.

the springs are strong as hell man, there's no way you disengaged the clutch with your fingers.

if you don't believe me, put a crescent wrench on the lever and actuate it with the wrench, it takes a serious pull to do it.
I bought the bike in January, 5th owner. I have no idea what kind of abuse it's been subjected to in the past but I drive it like a granny for the most part. I went for a good 4-5 hour ride over the weekend (single day, that is) which was *maybe* 40 minutes collectively on a highway, otherwise lots of shifting through traffic and such. I plan on taking it for some decently long rides during Summer so I was trying to get a "feel" for it, what it could handle. Glad I did before taking any of said trips..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page