Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Post Crash Ticking in the engine...please help

4K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  gbilya1028 
#1 · (Edited)
I have an 06 CBR 600RR with no engine problems until i laid it down on the right side 2 weeks ago at about 30mph. I had frame sliders so it saved the body but the engine seems to have suffered. After i got back up, the bike had stalled out. I picked it up and as soon as i started it there was loud rattling. As soon as i took off to get off the road the noise died down but there is a noticeable ticking noise now. I have drained the oil to check for shavings and found none. The oil seemed mixed with gasoline. It smelled like it and was dark. After i drained the oil to make sure the worst didn't happen(shavings from mottor) i removed the CCT and it seemed to apply pressure. After i reinstalled back on i filled up with oil again and started the bike thinking the CCT might have been stuck......the noise was still there. As i rev the bike slowly from idle to 4k the noise speeds up. if i jerk the throttle gently it feels like slack in a chain on the inside of the motor. I am super worried as the bike only has 14k miles and i am not exactly sure where to start unless i take the whole thing apart which would really suck. This is what i know and what need to know:
1)CCT: it seems to apply tension but i wouldn't be able to know how much unless i have a new one to compare to. The reason i don't think it is the CCT is because after putting new oil and draining it 10 minutes later, the new oil looked and smelled just like the old one.
2)Cam chain/Timing: i have read that sometimes a sudden stall on a crash can cause the drive/cam chain to skip teeth and throw off timing thus causing knocking and slapping of valves. I was thinking this would be worst case scenario since that would require a full teardown and it's hard to believe that can be cause by laying the bike down once. Would this cause the gasoline to mix with oil.

I have taken off the clutch cover and the only thing i could see is the chain for the oil pump had a lot of slack. in order to check timing i believe i have to take off the engine cover which is the hardest part i feel like.

Please help me if you can and i will check back frequently to answer your questions.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry to hear, glad you're okay. Which side did you fall on? It can possibly help with the diagnosis. Also, which side do you hear the rattle coming from if you can tell? (this can matter as well)

In addition, does the rattle noise make a difference if the clutch is pulled in/out?

Not to early diagnose but rattles usually are a CCT issue...could be too tight/loose

#3 ·
The bike fell on the right side. rattle is louder on the right lower part of the engine around cct but just below. The noise is there all the time regardless of clutch thus i am ruling out any basket rattle. Going off of your comment about the CCT. Is it supposed to push in without the wind up too. I can't seem to push it back by hand. only by using the tool but i can hold it by applying pressure after i wind it up.

#4 ·
ticking noise.. Often it's actually because of a leak on your exhaust system.

Falling on the right means your cat/ pipe just behind the right footpeg might have gotten knock a bit.

Undo the exhaust mounting and retighten it which should recenter the exhaust and hopefully cure the leak

#6 ·
i just checked the exhaust and there are absolutely no leaks. Anyone else have any ideas? So far i have the following suspicions.
CCT that gets stuck which would cause the ticking. Damaged injector that can cause the ticking plus possibly leaking fuel. or a serious engine problem. A bit frustrated, not gonna lie.

#9 ·
since my last post i have taken the bike to the honda dealer and they were completely useless. Wouldn't do a leak down test for me and only offered to tear the block for a fee of $500(just to look in). I declined and since i have the bike back together and it runs fine except for when you try to take off with the cutch only. It wants to stall since it is not running as it should but it only feels that way on take off with no throttle. Noise is still there and no it is not the cct, nor the clutch basket, nor a stuck injector(only thing dealer ruled out/did for me). So I think the motor has to come apart and i honestly do not have a garage to do it nor the time. If any of you guys live in the chicagoland area and have experience repairing internals please message me. I am willing to pay for someone to tear the engine and repair a very likely bent valve.

#10 ·
I have finally found the problem. After compression check it came out to 204 204 204 135 in cylinder 1 2 3 4. And leak down test showed 4% 4% 4% 70%. Cylinder 4 has cratches on the walls and valve is bent. Starting to tear down the motor tomorrow after i drop it. If you have any links to good motor rebuild diy or motor drop procedure please post. I will do my own research but a link saves time.

#11 ·
Hello everyone, I have finally fixed my problem. After tearing down the whole motor and splitting the case, i have replaced a bent intake valve on cylinder 4 as well as piston 4. It appears that something got loose off of the original block casting and fellinside the cylinder where it damaged the head and the piston. A total of 500 in parts and 4 days of labor to rebuild the motor and now it is quicker and better sounding!!! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.