Votes: 3 1.0%
  • 20+ years

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I always keep the rubber side down

Votes: 93 30.7%

Crash Stats: Length of Ownership

30K views 191 replies 105 participants last post by  UAV Online 
#1 · (Edited)
You just got your M1 endorsement and/or permit and are legally able to operate a motorcycle on the road.

You have obtained your motorcycle and can't wait to take it for a spin.

This counts as day 1.

If you have crashed, whether it involved only you, others, was your fault or not, were obeying the laws or stunting, how long from day 1 to crash day.

Track crashes do not count.

Feel free to answer anonymously or tell your story here if you have not made a thread yet, if you have, please link the thread.

#3 ·
Parking lot fail and track crash so I voted for the last.

#4 ·
2-3 years.

i dropped my 09 at a red light about 6 months after i first got her. but that's because my pant leg got stuck on my heel guard as i was putting my foot down. so that doesn't really count as a crash.

my crash was last year, a few months after getting back from the 'stan. pushed her a little too hard, a little too soon, on some brand new tires on a road i was familiar with. lowsided into a ditch, damage to the frame. insurance totaled her out. bought another gun, paid some bills, and picked up my 07.

lesson learned: ease back into riding after my next deployment.

#7 ·
It's been a about 16-17 years, but I crashed my first bike within 3 months, the first time, then again about 2 months later, after fixing it. Total waste of about 5 Gs. I was 24 I think, maybe 23.

I have crashed a bike(lowsided) 3 blocks away from where I purchased it also. :banghead:
S#it happens.

#8 ·
Hmmmm. Got my f4i in late 2011. Prolly August. Idr if it was spring or fall. I think that fall. I was leaving my ex gf's road which was a dirt road unfortunately. Went a little too fast going from gravel to pavement. Guess 7ish mph was too fast. Bike started to slide. Pissed me off royally I'm swearing in my helmet. And this guy is just watching me. The rr is still going strong no drops. Got that August 2012.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

#9 ·
bought an 07 Ninja 650R in 2008.. road it two years then traded for a 08 ZX-10R.. Dropped it within a month. (lowsided in a turn)

Rode the ZX-10 for about a year and then traded (because the insurance was too high) for my current bike, (07 600RR).

Rode the 600RR for about a year and a half with no issue.. then this past holloween night, some stupid ***** cut me off while I was going through an intersection.

#12 · (Edited)
My first bike was a 98 CBR 900RR (too big for a first bike, I know, now) and about a month and a half after I got my M endorsement it happened. A car came across 3 lanes of traffic to make a right hand turn right in front of me. I feel it was their fault but from the witnesses view (about 1/4 mile behind us) I tried to pass them on the shoulder. It was dark out and maybe they didn't see the cars path of travel. Insurance company and police felt is was my fault, so I just learned from it and moved on. I feel i'm really lucky I wasn't hurt that bad so I can't really complain.

#13 ·
Bought bike in Feb. 2011, dropped once in the parking lot first week (yay, frame sliders). First technical crash was April 2012.

I hit a ditch running some twisties. I did everything you're not supposed to do after hitting a touch of sand in the road and feeling the back end get loose. I panicked, chopped the throttle, stood it up braking while target fixating myself into the ditch. Broke a tab in the fairings with a few scratches and the handle bars hit me in the arm (got a good bruise) as the bike flipped from pne side to the other, but lucky for soft sand I rode away felling the embarrassment and stiffness on day two!

#15 ·
Been quite awhile for me.. '91 or '92. 1st bike --'81 Yamaha Maxim 550
Oncoming cage ran a light making a left in front of me. Grabbed the brakes and lowslided into him.
Nothing major since.....

#17 · (Edited)
6 months almost to the day! There's a video somewhere on here with it.. Too much confidence, too much bike, not enough seat time/skills makes rider go BOOM!

Last get off was in '09(including track) and there's been many miles done on the track since. Best decision as a rider for me to start doing track days!

23 riders polled and 6 always keep the rubber down!? Damn we's got us some gooood riders on this forum. Need to add a poll option (haven't owned my bike long enough to participate in poll lol)

#18 ·
well, i am one of the 6... but the rules were no tip over as i had in parking lot while parked and no crashes at the track, not too mention if we were to consider in the dirt bikes :poke: :popcorn: :nana:

#23 ·
First bike, about 15 years ago, totaled after about 5 months. The tires were dry rotted but I didn't think I could spare the cash for a new set. The rear blew out at about 70, I low sided and broke two bones in my right foot.
Do not neglect your bike's maintenance! If you can't afford to get it right, park it or sell it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#25 ·
Bought my 06 last June as my first bike. Sometime in September I low sided on the first corner from my house. I was in a rush for school and had cold tires. let the clutch out too fast and the bottom came out.

Had speed wobbles at 150+ that scared the absolute sh*t out of me last halloween. that ended my season and I'm waiting to start back up with the weather

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#27 · (Edited)
Picked up my first bike Feb 10th. Put 200 miles on it (not much time to ride), dropped it March 5th. Going way too fast on a road I didn't know. Sudden realization that a sharp left turn was coming up and I was going way too fast. Slam brakes (damn SRs). Lock up tire. Into the grass I go!

Fucked up the left headlight, stay, and fairings. Could have been worse. Only got a nice bruise on my side. ALL THE GEAR ALL THE TIME.

Reactions: Dxxsilva
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.