Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Icon Airmada Bad Design

11K views 38 replies 14 participants last post by  TheX 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, let me first preface this with I actually think the helmet is amazing in almost every way....

...except one CRITICAL aspect that I think is more relevant to hotter climates. I live in south florida and our summers are absolutely BRUTAL. Temps always in the mid 90's and humidity up the ass. Now, the Airmada has a rubber liner that goes around the bottom of the helmet. This rubber liner (gasket?) cannot handle the heat. It has melted on my helmet and also my friend's. Honestly, though it sucks, I'm glad his melted too because it deterred me from buying another one like I had planned.

So ICON, if you're watching, get your act together and fix this MAJOR issue. We went riding yesterday and his melted in the middle of our ride and ended up dangling around his neck for 300+ miles. This is a really bad design mistake and needs to be corrected IMMEDIATELY.

Rant over.

#3 ·
my gf and i also have airmada's. mine with about 9k miles hers prob 2-3k and both have no issues. i live in pa and im sure the temp/humidity are way diff but i have ridden PLENTY of days that were pushing 100f and have never had this issue. would def like to see pics

#4 ·
At work right now but I'll post a few when I get home today. Going to try and stop by the dealer where I picked it up from and see if I can do some kind of warranty claim (though I don't think they're an authorized dealer anymore which kinda sucks :/ )

#13 ·
Isn't that plastic lining suppossed to come off for you to be able to remove the inner lining in order to clean it?

I mean, maybe it isn't melted... Its just not attaching itself to the tabs inside the helmet.

On my Shark it used to happen, I would have to re-attach the thing every once in a while...

#33 ·
X is like that, pay no mind :D

I've read about this separation before, so yeah it's definitely a defect. It may not exist on all runs of the helmet, my Airmada Stack hasn't had any trouble with the gasket (though I only ride track so maybe the problem appears more often if the helmet is worn for hours at a time). I had a problem with another Icon product, their knee pucks, where the wind itself was starting to peel the puck from the velcro hook backing. Their QC may not be catching this, since it takes time for glue or adhesive to come undone. Hopefully they have noted these failures and introduced a fix into the line. I like my Airmada otherwise, but I feel like it may not be a great street helmet because of some of the design choices.

Have you tried to contact Icon directly? They may have some way to offer service or something, since this is a defect unrelated to normal wear and tear of the product.

Edit: the Airmada's neck roll is the tightest opening I've ever seen, so pulling the helmet on and off takes extra force - if you're pulling on the gasket while doing this it may lead to this happening. Still a defect but perhaps it's preventable.

#34 ·
X is like that, pay no mind :D
Yep, bring your big boy panties with you.

You didn't see what he said before the edit. He was a **** to all of us in general. People don't always like truth, but they deserve to hear sh1t that isn't sugar coated.

If you're gonna ride big boy bikes, leave your mangina at home, you might get sand in it.

#37 ·
This may not have anything to do with it...... And no, I have never owned ICON either. But, I see a lot of people hang their helmets on their mirror when parked by the front chin side, instead of the back/rear where the mirror can fit into the bowl/recessed area. Do you think this could have anything to do with it plus the heat of it sitting there?

Still a design flaw either way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.