Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

ICON - Clueless!

4K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Qap 
#1 ·
Hi guys... I'm all around the internet looking for a helmet.

After trying a couple of brands I'm almost in for a SHOEI NXR (I think its RF1200 in the US)... But the decorations ain't my thing though...

I found a Spanish site with Icon helmets, but I have no idea about them and no one here in Spain does since it's quite a new brand for us.

Any of you that might have tried these... What about them? Quality? Paint? Accesories? etc...

Compared to an HJC RPHA or a SHOEI NXR/RF1100/RF1200

I've also seen a nice X-spirit 2, is it too track oriented??

Any help will be much appreciated!!!

Seize the day guys!

V'ssss

#2 ·
The Icon helmets I'm familiar with(airmada), are pretty decent helmets. Fit my head good, and flow pretty good. Price wise, i think they're pretty reasonable. I read somewhere that HJC makes Icons helmets for them. Not sure if thats true, ill try to find where i seen that.
Couldnt compare to an rf1200, only tried on one in the store, and it was the wrong size.

#4 ·
Icon helmets are alright. They are made by HJC under contract. Their liners are quite nice. They are similar to Scorpion helmets in a lot of ways. Most of their helmets are two shell sizes; the Airmada is four. I think they're a good value, and much better than Gmax, KBC, etc. The faceshield ratcheting isn't as smooth as I'd like and I do not like the pin locking of the shield to the helmet. Shoei is much better, in that regard. Any race helmet will be noisy as it flows a lot of air; the NXR is a good balance between race and street. Buying a helmet without trying it on is a pretty big gamble.

Being from Spain, I'd assume Nexx helmets are popular there. Riders using them here seem to like them.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Thanks guys!!

Of course I won't buy a helmet without trying it, specially if it is a completely new brand for me.

FightingChance, you are right, Nexx came a few years ago and you can already see guys with them, still... Not my thing...

I will try to find a store to try this one on:

Again, thanks for the help... nowadays with all this internet thingy you just don't go to stores any more... You save some bucks but aint have a place to go try and check...

#10 ·
Thanks John, I know...

I just wanted to know if they were worth looking at.

The first answer could have been: "Run away"... Then I would have to sell a kidney to get a Shoei... And I kinda have attached to them over the years! hahahahaha

#11 ·
And what about Shoei X-spirit 2 ??

I found a beautifull Vermeulen unit quite cheap... Is it too track oriented?? Maybe too noisy??

For the price they had when new I assume they are top notch, but since most of my riding is on road, IDK if such a "track" helmet is a good choice.

#12 ·
My own personal experience having worn Shoei X12 (x spirit 2) AGV Corsa, HJC RPHA 10, Icon Airframe, HJC CL-16. Personally like the Shoei x12 or X-spirit 2 over Icon. I own 4 Shoei and only bought the one Icon. I was not impressed with the build quality on mine at all. Visor kept snapping off every time I opened it, and over time was the least comfortable of the helmets I owned. Airflow was decent but not as good as the others. Personally, IMO, build quality on the Shoei or even HJC RPHA 10 is better than the Icon I have. Don't feel either is "too track oriented", and can be used easily on the street. Icon has some nice graphics, but if you're not into the graphics, you can pick up,IMO, a better helmet at a similar price. The HJC RPHA 10 is a great value IMO. Light, comfortable, flows air great. You can pick up at a great price some of the close out models.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#13 ·
I know Shoei (any of them) is way much better... They cost exactly double.

My actual helmet is an HJC, I've been in love with it since the day I bought it... but not now... The interiours look as if I were a freaking wookie... They look old and and worn... The red button that fixes the strap has been gone for a couple of months, one of the vents just broke all alone... The helmet is 2 years old.

Two months ago I was gonna go for another HJC, I've changed my mind... They have a very good price and incluide all the accesories... but age horribly.

I have to see this Icon personally before spending double on a Shoei (I already tried the NXR and its just fantastic).

Thanks man!

#14 ·
my first helmet was the Icon Airmada. It was a good starter helmet. The flat black was cool. My complaint was changing out the shields from clear to tinted.

After a year I replaced it with a Shoei GT-air which has the sliding internal tinted shield. I noticed it was much more comfortable and seemed quieter.

I definitely like the shoei>icon, but in the end it is up to you

#16 ·
Looking good!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D

I have it with me... It looks very good...

First impressions:

- Interiour linings are strong and look nice
- Paint is not very plain.. You can see some "orange peel" effect
- The golden details are superb, I love how they change with the light
- Included tinted screen, always handy
- More weight than HJC RPHA, but less than my older S800 Shark

I'm deff gonna keep it... I hope it doesn't melt! HA!

Thanks again for the help!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.