Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Helmet Shopping is Incredibly Frustrating

4K views 33 replies 22 participants last post by  Nuithari 
#1 ·
Is it just me or is helmet shopping insanely difficult? I know that sounds like a stupid statement to make, but there seems to be no standardizing of the sizes between brands. I want to buy a new helmet and jacket before next season, so my fiance can inherit my current Joe Rocket helmet. The issue is that with how much helmets actually cost, I don't dare order one online for fear of it not fitting properly, and I have no real resource local to me for actually trying on helmets from different manufacturers. Like I said, I currently wear a size medium Joe Rocket, I have a co-worker who wears a size medium Arai, you would think I would be able to slip it on and try the fitment out with no issues. However the Arai looks like it's an extra small and belongs on a 5-year old, my head came nowhere NEAR to fitting through the opening.

What's a good guideline for helmet shopping online in terms of really nailing down the correct size? I would just buy a brand new Joe Rocket helmet or an HJC since they're made by the same company, but I hate all the current Joe Rocket designs and wanted to possibly try out an Icon or even a Shoei Marquez model.

Here's a shot of my current helmet, I love the design, but I need a helmet for my fiance anyways so a new one is in the cards.

See less See more
#2 ·
You're not alone. It can be very frustrating. I have an Arai RX-Q and the Shoei RF-1200, and they fit me slightly differently. I wear my Arai most of the time, and prefer them over Shoei in general, but am right in between their RX-Q and Signet-Q shell shapes. You really just gotta try each on. If you can't find a shop that has what you want to try on, order them from Revzilla and just return what doesn't fit (free returns and shipping!), that what I have done every time.

#3 ·
get your cranium measured or if you know your hat size; mine is 7 3/8" (hat size) and my Shoei GT Air is a Large - fits snug, but perfect. If you see one you like, try ordering from motosport.com as they offer free returns and have outstanding customer service.

Best Regards,

Lee

#4 ·
I can completely relate. I wouldn't purchase blindfolded either. I will always try on several helmets at my local shops and then go from there. HJC has some solid and reasonable options. I'd love to opt for an Arai, but I don't have the courage to shell out a lot of moolah. Don't forget to take up on any discounts / promotions - I regularly see 10-20% off.

#5 ·
All helmet internal headshapes are different; there is no way to know if you'll fit a medium across brands, or different helmets in the same brand. I am:

A medium in Scorpion EXO-400, EXO-700 and EXO-1000
A small in Scorpion R2000
A small in Shoei X-11 and RF1000 and Qwest
A medium in Icon Airmada
A small in Icon Alliance
A small in Arai RX-Q and Corsair
A small liner but medium cheekpads in Icon Variant

I do not fit:

most HJC helmets, they are too round (for earth shape faces)
Nexx Xr1 (however you can customize the liners so I might if I do that)

The only way I know this is from live fittings. Also, liners compress over time, so used helmets will not fit you like a new one would. You just gotta try them on live.

#29 ·
+1 for them they are great to deal with and have quick shipping. I seem to fit HJC helmets the best and I know my size so I dont have to do the hassle of finding one that fits at a dealer and going from there. I just stick with what I know works for me. I just bought a new HJC from revzilla that should either come tomorrow or saturday.

#8 ·
Good to hear that so many of the retailers offer no hassle return shipping. I think I may try out an Icon Airmada in gloss white so if whichever fit I choose doesn't work out I can exchange it.

#12 ·
If everyone does this, there will no longer be that local shop
:frown2:
Also, there are variations in fit even within models, so just because it fits from one production run, does not guarantee the same fit in another run.
If the helmet fits in the store, just buy it and be done. Also its very rare for the local shop to have received a counterfeit or bogus knock-off, yet there are MANY counterfeits available online, and they get recycled into inventories at the big places.

#10 ·
That's what I would be doing if I had more options in my area. But unfortunately in my small corner of VT I don't have a lot of shops around that have a variety of helmets.

#11 ·
Most manufacturera have a sizing chart to compare helmet size to hat size or head circumference. My hat size is 7 3/8 which is most brands is equivalent to a large helmet, in CKX helmets it was equivalent to and extra large helmet. I got my helmet today and it fit perfect. But if you don't know your hat size you can measure your head circumference with a string and a tape measure. You measure right above the ear I believe. My CKX Helmet is very comfortable and looks great I think. Also has quick release chin strap. Not the most expensive helmet but it's dot approved and fits good so it's good for me. I hope this helps, good luck finding a helmet

Attachments

#16 ·
#15 ·
Your local shop cannot compete on price. Period. They can't. If they provide the service of having the item in stock that you want, then pay for that service. It takes time and money to stock items at a retail location, and the money you spend there helps keep the shop employees, well, employed.
I buy plenty of stuff online, but I don't waste the time of the local merchants or "showroom" them. Thats about the most uncouth thing one can do.
If you want local merchants to exist, you must buy things from them, even if their prices are higher than the online discounters. There is no other way. The other option is to buy all your stuff online, and then we will not have local merchants.
MC parts and apparel only have 35-40 point margins, which is LOWER than the point most business need to operate and be profitable, and so the service department needs to make up the difference. Thats why shop rates need to be $100/hr.
Aside from Harley dealers (who seem to print money - oh yeah, there has been no real competition for that segment for 50 years), your local shop worker probably makes less than the average big box store assistant manager, even though he probably is much more knowledgeable about his chosen field.
You will start to see things go more the way that Alpinestars has gone, enforcing MAPS and kicking discounters to the curb. Harley has done it for years (decades now), by not overproducing, enforcing MAP, and creating demand so no one HAS to discount. Troy Lee is going there too. Fox is promising to do better. Klim, aerostitch, etc, all the smallish brands that produce top quality stuff have it figured out too, that discounting is a race to the bottom and will hurt the brand in the long run.

So I bought a HJC online, because the local shop didn't have my size, and didn't offer to even order one in, but I gave them the first chance. I have a XXS head and pretty much only the HJC in a 51cm fits me well. I got my Scorpion SG3 gloves online, because I went into my local shop and they didn't carry gauntlet race gloves. But I gave them first shot. I took my wife in to buy her a helmet, and got a nice HJC FG series for her because it fit best. Living in AZ our shop is MOSTLY a dirt shop, hardly a sportbike in this town, so they don't stock any leather, but I still ask them because if I don't, they will never know that I exist and that there is demand for sport bike goods in this little mountain town.

#18 ·
I must have the smallest dome or weirdly shaped because helmets never fit me correct. Also jackets are always long in the sleeves and pants are always long. Ooh the joys of being short.
As long as your mojo isn't in that particular category, I say you're a winner!

:laugh:

#20 ·
If you can't fit locally then you'll just have to do your research on head shapes by brand/model, take a deep breath and pull the trigger on one. Ideally from a place with a good return/exchange policy. If there are any bike shows going on nearby that's also a good place to try on gear.

#21 ·
For me its easy. Choose the current Bell Star model that I like, and buy it. No need to look at other models :)

#22 ·
I originally went with an HJC from Amazon because they had the best price. I measured my head, bought the helmet size according to HJC's specs, and it fit tighter than OJs glove. I paid the $8 return shipping and got my money back.

My final outcome came from trying on lots of different helmets at a local motorcycle shop who is an authorized Arai dealer. I got the RX-Q and have never looked back. Love it!

Bottom line: There is no substitution for trying on helmets in person.

#23 · (Edited)
I originally went with an HJC from Amazon because they had the best price. I measured my head, bought the helmet size according to HJC's specs, and it fit tighter than OJs glove. I paid the $8 return shipping and got my money back.

My final outcome came from trying on lots of different helmets at a local motorcycle shop who is an authorized Arai dealer. I got the RX-Q and have never looked back. Love it!

Bottom line: There is no substitution for trying on helmets in person.
Couldn't agree more.

Maybe I've mentioned this, but I'd pay a premium to find the best fitting helmet in person. Why take a short cut just for the sake of price when I'm going to be using the helmet every day? If I can find the helmet in store to try on and then order the right color from them, I'll do everything to negotiate and persuade that store for a better discount. From what I'm finding out, a 10% discount is pretty average - I try to push for 15 - 20% off on the precise helmet that I really want.

#28 ·
Last years version of the HJC Mech Hunter is one of the sexiest helmets I've ever seen (in my own opinion) unfortunately I just saw a picture of it a week or two ago and now the design has changed to something I don't like nearly as much. Here is the hotness:

#30 · (Edited)
I've got a Joe Rocket helmet now and I know how well it fits me, and since the HJCs and the Rockets are the same damn helmet I know my sizing with HJC will be the same. I've considered a few different Icons I just don't know how their fitment runs.

#32 ·
Oh I didn't know Icon was under HJCs ownership as well! That's kinda cool. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle.

G.I. JOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

...sorry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.