I saved money by ordering directly from Japan - Arai Quantum X - 600RR.net
Helmets, Leathers, Boots & Gloves Discuss and ask questions about your gear here

Sponsored by SportbikeTrackGear

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I saved money by ordering directly from Japan - Arai Quantum X

I guess this goes out to my fellow round head riders out there haha. So the best fit for me is the shoei qwest, and arai rx-q. I started looking at newest round head arai (quantum x) but it was pretty expensive.

I found out in Japan it's called the astral x and it was about $130 cheaper, and came with the upgraded visor. So I ended up getting one $490 shipped, vs the $620-$690 you'll see online for US stores. And it even came with the "shade" visor so you won't have to pay $80 extra for one.

So yea, in case some of you guys were looking at the Quantum X. If you were looking at other models, just keep in mind they're all for round heads.. So if you've always wanted a specific modelbut it wasn't for your round head shape, then looking overseas might work out for you (and may save you money too!)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sw33p3r For This Useful Post:
AF4iK (04-08-2017), dixon cider (04-08-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 12:33 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the info. I have a really hard time helmet shopping because my melon doesn't fit the intermediate-oval or narrow-white-guy head shape. I will keep this in mind when I look for my next helmet. Do you know whether a transitions lens is available for them? I am completely in love with mine which is what has kept me with Bell helmets.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF4iK View Post
Thanks for the info. I have a really hard time helmet shopping because my melon doesn't fit the intermediate-oval or narrow-white-guy head shape. I will keep this in mind when I look for my next helmet. Do you know whether a transitions lens is available for them? I am completely in love with mine which is what has kept me with Bell helmets.
No unfortunately no. Only shoei and bell have that at the moment (that I'm aware of). The Arai upgraded faceshield is the next best thing, it has a drop down visor on the outside (yes it does look a bit weird but who cares it works!). lol

Since you have a round head,I'd probably get the rf1200 from Japan, that would be round shaped too (in japan), and you can use the shoei transition lens.

But yea, transition lens rock! But i went with the astral x coz I actually fit in a small on these (instead of the usual medium on everything else) so I love how i don't have the bobblehead look as bad as my other mediums lol.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 10:26 PM
World Superbike Racer

Ooh, I didn't even consider buying a RF1200 from Japan... I really wish I could try it on first though.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 10:50 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I have not heard that internal headshapes are different between the same helmet in USA and Japan - do you have some literature on that?

I do know that Shoeis and Arais from Japan will not be Snell compliant (which I prefer.)
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 02:09 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingChance View Post
I have not heard that internal headshapes are different between the same helmet in USA and Japan - do you have some literature on that?

I do know that Shoeis and Arais from Japan will not be Snell compliant (which I prefer.)
Yeah but I'm sure it's still the same helmet. Which means it's only missing the SNELL sticker, right?

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 02:46 AM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:

I'd be interested too. Although it doesn't surprise me. Some ski goggles have a different shape in asia to better fit the typical asian face.

Why do you prefer non-Snell?
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 03:40 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Gillmore View Post
Yeah but I'm sure it's still the same helmet. Which means it's only missing the SNELL sticker, right?
No, Japan and Europe market Shoeis and Arais are lighter than their North America versions, because they are not Snell.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 03:49 AM
Moto GP Racer

Long story short, Snell came into being because old DOT ratings for helmets were not good enough, but Snell became too stiff and transferred too much energy into the head, especially smaller heads. This became better in Snell M2010 and M2015, but I still prefer ECE-2205 (which everyone in MotoGP uses.)
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:

The astral x seems to be snell from everything i'm seeing online(as well as JIS). I also have the snell sticker in the back. It's possible that the older japanese weren't snell, but this one is. But even if it weren't, I wouldn't stress too much about it. Some even say SNELL shells might be more dangerous, but lets not open up that argument here lol.

As for documented headshapes, i researched it a ton and emailed lots of sellers from japan and that's what they warned me as well (helmets sold there are more round shaped). I guess i didn't have to worry much since the quantum x was round to begin with. but i'm willing to bet that most of the shoei's and arais in Japan are round shaped (and not just the qwest or quantum x).. to suit the market.. Just as there are more intermediate ovals here in the US.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF4iK View Post
Ooh, I didn't even consider buying a RF1200 from Japan... I really wish I could try it on first though.
Yea that's the hard part (returning if it doesn't fit). You might want to look up other forums for guys that bought helmets in japan and see what their take is on sizing. The rf1200 is called z-7 over there. As for the z-7, it seems to be JIS only and no snell (if you care for that)
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
No, Japan and Europe market Shoeis and Arais are lighter than their North America versions, because they are not Snell.
Found some documentation showing that Japanese Arai models are ALL snell. My helmet is actually the first one on the list lol

Snell Foundation - M2015 certified helmets
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 03:03 PM
Moto GP Racer

FWIW,

Learned about the round head/narrow head thing in Thailand.

Have a narrow head, and couldn't find a helmet that fit right......asked the vendors why and they said "here in Thailand only round heads sold".

I asked can you order me a narrow head?

Answer was "No, if you want narrow, go buy from narrow head country".

I wore an HJC there that fit very poorly......came back to USA and instantly found any/all helmets fit me better.....

point of this is that head shape vs region is a fact.

I've never run across a place that carries both oval and round head styles.

Last edited by tary preisser; 04-09-2017 at 03:12 PM.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 07:23 PM
Moto GP Racer

The Japanese Shoei site that now SAI standards also meet Snell M2015, so it's possible that Snell backing down from their previous standards means that it's encompassed by the other crash standards.

I know in the past, Euro and Asia helmets did not meet Snell M2010 and M2005, and were lighter as a result.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 07:24 PM
Moto GP Racer

Aside from that, Europe always gets more and better color schemes than the US. Check out this sweet Cluzel RF-1200 rep:

post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tary preisser View Post
FWIW,

Learned about the round head/narrow head thing in Thailand.

Have a narrow head, and couldn't find a helmet that fit right......asked the vendors why and they said "here in Thailand only round heads sold".

I asked can you order me a narrow head?

Answer was "No, if you want narrow, go buy from narrow head country".

I wore an HJC there that fit very poorly......came back to USA and instantly found any/all helmets fit me better.....

point of this is that head shape vs region is a fact.

I've never run across a place that carries both oval and round head styles.
LOL @ narrow head country haha
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Yea, I liked the designs overseas better too, but i wonder if they say the same about ours haha.

THe rf1200 permutation is badass.. would look bad ass on a red/black 600!
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 10:53 AM
Tell me I'm cool PLEASE!

Besides fitment for the helmet, the concern is legality. In the US, all helmets worn on the street are required to display a DOT sticker per FMVSS. While most police don't know this, there are some that do and they could cite you for not wearing a helmet if you're in a helmet required State. Following that, they could require you to tow your bike from the scene and in worse scenario you'd get arrested and they'd tow it for you, (not) complimentary of course.

-2006 CBR1000RR- Jardine RT-1 CF, GP Shift rearsets, GP Suspensions 20mm revalve, Penske 8987 triple clicker (more upgrades in progress)
-2013 CBR250R-ABS (Hers and now SOLD)
-2002 CBR600F4i (Track/Street) (was mine and now hers)
ZG Dbl Bbl, Galfer SS Lines, PC3r, Muzzy s/o, K&N air filter, NRC stator cover, ShiftMinder(WTF?), Fireblade brakes, Gold Rearsets, undercut gears, Factory Pro Shift Kit
Ohlins, Racetech, Showa custom Suspension
Because 12,000 RPM makes me feel better
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird180 View Post
Besides fitment for the helmet, the concern is legality. In the US, all helmets worn on the street are required to display a DOT sticker per FMVSS. While most police don't know this, there are some that do and they could cite you for not wearing a helmet if you're in a helmet required State. Following that, they could require you to tow your bike from the scene and in worse scenario you'd get arrested and they'd tow it for you, (not) complimentary of course.
I doubt cops look for that decal when they stop you.. If anything, you have better chances of getting stopped for your exhaust vs your dot decal. Harley guys wear plastic buckets on their head with no decals and I'm sure they haven't been stopped lol. But for those that are paranoid, they can always just print a DOT sticker if needed ;)
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:12 PM
Tell me I'm cool PLEASE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sw33p3r View Post
I doubt cops look for that decal when they stop you.. If anything, you have better chances of getting stopped for your exhaust vs your dot decal. Harley guys wear plastic buckets on their head with no decals and I'm sure they haven't been stopped lol. But for those that are paranoid, they can always just print a DOT sticker if needed ;)
Because a cop doesn't cite you for it, doesn't make it less illegal - just means its your lucky day. I would not recommend printing a DOT sticker and adding to a helmet, that constitutes fraud and in the case of DOT regulations, is a Federal (not State) offense. Might seem a trifle, but I wouldn't want to risk going to the pokey over a helmet. Are we being robbed? In many cases, yes. The proper way to address the issue is by writing your Congressman.

-2006 CBR1000RR- Jardine RT-1 CF, GP Shift rearsets, GP Suspensions 20mm revalve, Penske 8987 triple clicker (more upgrades in progress)
-2013 CBR250R-ABS (Hers and now SOLD)
-2002 CBR600F4i (Track/Street) (was mine and now hers)
ZG Dbl Bbl, Galfer SS Lines, PC3r, Muzzy s/o, K&N air filter, NRC stator cover, ShiftMinder(WTF?), Fireblade brakes, Gold Rearsets, undercut gears, Factory Pro Shift Kit
Ohlins, Racetech, Showa custom Suspension
Because 12,000 RPM makes me feel better
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird180 View Post
Because a cop doesn't cite you for it, doesn't make it less illegal - just means its your lucky day. I would not recommend printing a DOT sticker and adding to a helmet, that constitutes fraud and in the case of DOT regulations, is a Federal (not State) offense. Might seem a trifle, but I wouldn't want to risk going to the pokey over a helmet. Are we being robbed? In many cases, yes. The proper way to address the issue is by writing your Congressman.
Yes we get it, we could go to jail for wearing a non dot sticker'ed helmet.. Or maybe if our plates are tucked slightly, or maybe if we're using non dot turn signals or non dot headlight bulbs, or if we go slightly above the speed limit with our sport bikes ;)

But no need to write this non-issue to our congressmen (are you serious), there are far more important issues out there than this lmao.
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

I'm selling these DOT decals by the way for anyone interested ;)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dotdecal.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	190714  
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:26 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Yes we get it, we could go to jail for wearing a non dot sticker'ed helmet.. Or maybe if our plates are tucked slightly, or maybe if we're using non dot turn signals or non dot headlight bulbs, or if we go slightly above the speed limit with our sport bikes ;)

But no need to write this non-issue to our congressmen (are you serious), there are far more important issues out there than this lmao.
Wear a DOT compliant helmet... or else!

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:49 PM
BOTM Winner Jan 2015

Quote:
I'm selling these DOT decals by the way for anyone interested ;)

Looks super legit.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

https://40.media.tumblr.com/68b9f92683e3e0506dd727af79363281/tumblr_ntyw0v9hrk1ufoouto1_500.jpg
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:26 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

I'll chime in.

Bought my Nexx Carbon XR2 Carbon helmet from Germany for $345 shipped to my door. Cheapest I could find it in the US was for around $545 and I am a online shopping Ninja. Shipping took 10 days and I will tell you my heart skipped a beat thinking I had been scammed when I picked up the box from my local P.O. It was so light I thought they shipped sticker and the manual.
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:33 AM
World Superbike Racer

I don't know about the US but in Ontario ECE is also accepted for street use. This was a recent and sensible change.
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digdah View Post
I'll chime in.

Bought my Nexx Carbon XR2 Carbon helmet from Germany for $345 shipped to my door. Cheapest I could find it in the US was for around $545 and I am a online shopping Ninja. Shipping took 10 days and I will tell you my heart skipped a beat thinking I had been scammed when I picked up the box from my local P.O. It was so light I thought they shipped sticker and the manual.
Holy hell thats a great price!! Would've kept my carbon zero if it fit my head better, it was a bit narrower than all my other intermediate ovals (rf1200 / rpha11)
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trachito View Post
Wear a DOT compliant helmet... or else!

I Laugh out Loud! (stupid forum won't let me type I lol'd -- not enough characters lol)
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:58 AM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
The bigger concern would be if you are in an accident and are somehow injured to the point lawyers and insurance are involved assessing permanent damage and it's determined your helmet was not DOT compliant. Insurance could easily deny your claim on that basis alone.

Would it happen? I doubt it.

But could it? Yes, especially if it's being replaced by insurance where they want to see the receipt for value and they notice it's not bought in the US.

- '14 Honda CBR650F
- '14 Triumph Thruxton
- '13 Kymco Super 8 150
- '04 Yamaha WR450F
- Past rides: too many to list
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:26 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
The bigger concern would be if you are in an accident and are somehow injured to the point lawyers and insurance are involved assessing permanent damage and it's determined your helmet was not DOT compliant. Insurance could easily deny your claim on that basis alone.

Would it happen? I doubt it.

But could it? Yes, especially if it's being replaced by insurance where they want to see the receipt for value and they notice it's not bought in the US.
If someone is so worried about and making life choices based on such far fetched improbabilities then maybe they shouldn't be riding a motorcycle... or leaving the house for that matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page